Author Topic: Finally getting to play, need some help choosing class  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
Finally getting to play, need some help choosing class
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »
Our group is finally getting together again after the end of our last campaign some time ago, and everyone else is mostly set on their characters, so I need some help with my concept. We're playing on Greyhawk, but probably an unexplored part (Idk where but nowhere near the more detailed places, probably somewhere isolated or just mentioned in books).Besides the magical classes we've been told that we're going to find almost no magical item (but we got some crazy trinkets from our backstories), but many mechanical or clockwork ones, which makes me believe we're going to play on Blackmoor or somewhere near (or beyond) the sea of dust.

Our group consists, at this moment, of A CN high elven Diviner Sage, LG Half-elven Bard dipping life cleric Guild Merchant, a LN Fighter that is undecided on his race and subclass (S&B, thinking about using dragonmarks and getting a rune) Outlander and a CG Svirfneblin Arcane Trickster or Thief Acolyte of Nebelun.

We generate our stats by everyone rolling 4d6b3 6 times, then we can choose which set to use, considering that some guys are really lucky while others get things like every stat under 9. My chosen stats were 18 18 14 13 10 6 and we start at lv 3, with everyone getting a bonus feat, all materials allowed, including all UAs.

I'm thinking of A paladin, warlock(light), sorlock or similar multiclass with a bit of staying power, considering that everyone (maybe not the fighter) is taking classes with limited slots and our campaigns always involved a short-rest-like pause after encounters even during 3e and before (with no benefits attached back then).

My character's backstory may be changed, but as it is atm, he received his powers from a cursed sapient insane NN pendant that shines light that only I can see, and returns to me if we're separated.

Any input or help will be appreciated. Thank you for reading.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
Re: Finally getting to play, need some help choosing class
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
If you are truly going to have NO magical items, including NO magical weapons, and if you're going to be using weapons, ensure you have a way to make your weapon magical on your own.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »
There is a possibility of getting a magical item, but probably only 1-2 for the whole party, and then probably a rune or something else for the fighter and the other one will go to me or the rogue, whoever is "less magical", which, considering that the svirfneblin will be taking the racial feat, can very well be me, and that is one of the things making it difficult for me to choose a class, I don't know if I should be powerful enough to have no need for a magical item or focus on being a one trick pony to try to make my case indirectly for the item.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 04:58:28 PM »
Paladin 1 / Warlock 2 ... hits hard early and fits y'all's encounter details.
Then go some combo of Paladin 2 to 6 / Blade or Book'lock +1 / ??
Half Elf would be an excellent race.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »
That seems really nice, but what oath should I take and how would you finish the build (we're probably going to 16+) considering that the more magical I am the less probable I'll get a magical item? And the half-elf is the basic one or a SCAG alternate would work better? (booklock would be better for a paladin heavy build, I believe, picking Shillellagh from the druid list and allowing for a 14 STR and 18 to CON and CHA, with the race adjusting where needed, but for a lock heavy build Blade would be probably better, but how would I eliminate the invocation redundancy?)

and any suggestion for the extra feat? (must be a feat)

Sorry for begging but my brain just melted with the choices...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:48:03 PM by Wilb »
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »
Assuming 1/2 Elf is OK, scag variant unnecessary
S 18 , D 10 , Con 14+1 waiting on Resilient
I 6 (see quote)  :D , W 13+1 , Cha 18+2
Blade gets around the no magic items problem
while other classes could pick up most rituals.
Not sure which of Pal 2 or Lock 3 to get first, flavor.
But Pal 3 to 6 after that with Str+2 as the "feat".
Heavy Armor Master is excellent early on especially level 1.
Then Lock 4 probably Resilient, to 12, then whatevs.
Spell Sniper feat is pseudo mandatory for blasting.
I'm still partial to Shocking Grasp cantrip for safety reasons
and bf control on the party (who's tactics ought to put them
right into your aura, but they usually withdraw too late).

... Sorry for begging but my brain just melted with the choices ...

Y'know ... it's funny (not you) ... even with the semi-massive
simplification, the number of choices is still quite beyond
what anyone on their own can really make sense of, excepting
the work of a dedicated bunch of internet degenerates (like me/us).

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »
Thanks man, I couldn't take the absurd number of possibilities for this character, as the group is basically full and I'll be the 5th wheel. 5E is really generous to these guys.

So, Paladin 6/ Warlock 14 would be best then, to get the Warlock redundant healing as a "capstone" or maybe Paladin (Ancients) 7/ Warlock 13 to get the magic resist aura.

So the build would start as 1/2 Elf Paladin 1/ Warlock (Undying Light) 2, with the usual invocations but greenflame blade as a cantrip.
Considering that I'm not the skillmonkey of the group, I'll probably go with the variant to get Booming blade or Shocking grasp with the race, and a silly background for being a semi-functional individual (maybe the cursed pendant's ramblings made me crazy or something...)
Starting feat: Heavy Armor Master.

But What about changing the Warlock to tome, using the Shillelagh cantrip to get a nice magic weapon and get SADder? flipping around Con & Str gives me just enough for using plate with no penalty and I get 6 more hp to begin. This way I can also grab Shocking Grasp with Cha instead of Int. This locks me out of the benefit of the 12th Warlock level, which would probably make going more pally better, and thus may be a bad idea...

But the character already looks nice, I can picture an incredibly narcissistic (or haunted) 1/2 elf that can barely notice the world around him and is a Colossally Stupid Fighter that shines a little. His name will probably be Finn.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
Backgrounds can be anything, just make up a combo,
you get to pick your skills when customizing anyway.
Int of 6 means Investigate is a good idea vs illusions.

Hey when Orcs are your parents, all of your friends
understand it's the parents fault ; theirs too.
Elf otoh means you didn't talk to yer Dad for like
3 decades or something, and that was kinda normal.

idk zip about the Shillelagh + Greenflame combo.
Shillelagh + the Polearm feat + 2wf = lots of chances
at dumping Smite slots into damage.  And since
smite is the way a Pally does damage ...

So you're thinking S 14+1 for the armor requirement
and Con 18 probably doesn't need Resilient now
just the +2 Con or Warcaster around mid game.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »
Exactly, now I just need to know how this deep pally build compares to the deep lock one. I mean, get a second opinion to polish everything up.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »
When you ask my kitty avatar,
my kitty avatar's Tail  is > the 2nd opinion.

Paladin dmg 15 / x'Lock 5 = max animate dead
with a back nod toward some of the previous posts
and needs the Template Nunku (!) did for skelies.

edit --- found the link to Nunku's googledoc
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16064.0
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:48:32 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:42 PM »
I believe oathbreaker won't roll with the DM but I'll try (though an oathbreaker multiclassed with the shiny warlock is so edgy  :lmao )

I'll take the deep Paladin one then. If oathbreaker is out, I'll go with Vengeance or Ancients, but I'll have a level or two to get the hang of the campaign style before choosing.

The campaign starts tomorrow, so I'll have something posted here if combat or interesting stuff happens...

Thanks everyone (specially dear kitty & master duo).

Dude's name will probably be just Finn but if oathbreaker is given the OK, it'll be Edgelord Finn.

Finn is good. Oathbreaker wasn't given the OK. He's progressing quite well atm.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:23:49 AM by Wilb »
Lovely Zoma...