Author Topic: Ways to have damage converted to nonlethal  (Read 5816 times)

Offline deadkitten

• It's so fluffy you are gonna die... Horribly.
    • View Profile
Ways to have damage converted to nonlethal
« on: January 01, 2015, 12:29:25 PM »
Name says it all. im looking for some ways to have damage inflicted on a character to be converted to nonlethal besides regeneration.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to have damage converted to nonlethal
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
There's the pugilist fighter variant in Dragon 310 that gets an ability called "Shake It Off" which, with a generous reading, turns all damage into nonlethal.  Main issue is the wording is very atypical.

Offline deadkitten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »
Yea, I remember that one. I'm pretty much just looking for a feat,spell,or item that could do it in a pinch. I'm playing an invulnerable rager barbarian in a 3.P game and am looking for a "panic button" if the DM decides to ramp up the damage on me.
The invulnerable rager's DR is doubled for nonlethal.

Offline Balvenie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »
The Regeneration (EX) ability states that damage is treated an non-lethal and healed at a specific rate per round.  Be a troll

And I should read the entirety of the post before responding, sorry nothing of value to add here.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:35:35 PM by Balvenie »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
Are you the character dealing the damage or the character suffering the damage?

Cause the former is just a Merciful weapon.
The latter is.....Troll-blooded 1st level only feat that requires Toughness as a pre-req.
And a few other means of gaining Regenerations.

There's the Delay Death spell. Doesn't change the damage type inflicted, but temporarily removes your -10hp cap on death to infinite until the spell expires. The spell lasts rounds, you gotta heal up before it ends or ya die anyways.

Higher level is Hide Life. Effectively the same as Delay Death, but instantaneous duration, thus permanent. So long as the body part you cut off is never found and destroyed. It's 9th level and has a 5k exp cost and takes 1 day to cast. Buy a scroll of it. And a scroll of Divine Insight & Wieldskill so you can just UMD it :p
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:46:08 PM by ketaro »

Offline deadkitten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm probably out of luck though.
Probably gonna go with the ablative barrier spell from pathfinder.
While all those options would get the job done or come close to replicating it,  I was looking for something that was of limited use so that I wouldn't constantly trouble the DM. 

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »
5th Level Cleric Spell: Monstrous Regeneration, it gives you the effects of the Regeneration (EX) ability for a duration of 1round per 2levels. So that will get you at least 4 rounds of only taking non-leathal damage, and assuming your not going into epic levels a maximum of 10 rounds, use limited by how often your cleric is willing to cast it on you... or how many scrolls of it you've got and can successfully use.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
Grater vigor is officially the 3.5 update of monstrous regeneration, according to page 6 of Spell Compendium. 

As I understand it, "3.P" refers to a mix of Pathfinder material and 3.5 material, but does it refer to Pathfinder rules with some 3.5 content added in, or to 3.5 rules with some Pathfinder content added in?  It might be important here because Pathfinder's version of regeneration doesn't convert lethal damage to nonlethal. 

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »
As I understand it, "3.P" refers to a mix of Pathfinder material and 3.5 material, but does it refer to Pathfinder rules with some 3.5 content added in, or to 3.5 rules with some Pathfinder content added in?  It might be important here because Pathfinder's version of regeneration doesn't convert lethal damage to nonlethal.

Technically it could be either, but usually it means Pathfinder with 3.5 in it, rather than vice versa.
Mudada.

Offline MortalSword

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »
I recall reading a build that was based off these two powers. Memory is a little hazy but I'm sure the build was built around fort saves to turn lethal to Nonlethal and then another fort save to negate the Nonlethal.

I may be wrong and details are hazy but I *think* the core of the build was to convert half the damage to Nonlethal, make the save to convert to Nonlethal then double the DR vs Nonlethal and make the save to negate a huge chunk of the damage dealt to you. I'm actually researching it now and this thread popped up on google lol So sorry for the Necro bump. If any of this rings any bells could you be a good old chap and post links.

Flesh Wound Rage power.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/flesh-wound-ex

Combine with Invulnerable Ragers Invulnerability ability to double your DR vs Nonlethal damage.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
The only problem is that Flesh Wound applies after the damage has gotten through your DR. You roll against the damage that would be dealt to your character by the attack, not what was rolled prior to DR/Energy Resistance/etc. It's still a damn nifty power, since you halve the damage before converting it to nonlethal, but it doesn't let you effectively apply 3x your DR against a single attack. :p

Also keep in mind that nonlethal damage will drop you the moment it exceeds you current HP total. This makes it a bad tradeoff if you have one of the abilities that lets you stay up while at negative hit points, because technically nonlethal damage never drops you to 0 HP or below, it just knocks you out. On the plus side, any healing you get effectively counts twice, since it removes an equal amount of lethal and nonlethal damage.
A little madness goes a long way...