Author Topic: The Quintessential Ninja Handbook Discussion  (Read 16697 times)

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I should've seen that coming
    • View Profile
Re: The Quintessential Ninja Handbook Discussion
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 03:14:45 PM »
Thank you for posting. It's been quite some time since I've delved into Way of the Ninja, but I will reread Strike of the Wolf and I'll take a look at the Scorpion fighting styles. Also, thanks for pointing out Yakuza. I'd forgotten that one. I'll be sure to credit you for it, Tenticle.

Concerned Ninja Citizen, I am not aware of trapfinding existing in a Rokugan-specific campaign as an ability. However, once I have access to my books (writing on my cell-phone atm), I'll poke around and see if I can find it for you. I don't feel that listing their weapon proficiency would be necessary, but you do make a good point about it and now make me see that they would make an excellent entry into Suel Arcanomach.

I believe I have those magazines, so I'll read over them later and make a post about them. I really appreciate the help, Jackinthegreen, and I'll be sure to credit you for your finds  :D

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
For the Wind Oxen Jutsu, is that an additional bonus on top of your normal modifiers (Str + size usually), or does that replace them? Also, what action does it take? If it's a swift action like most Ki Powers, that's great (remember, movement from bull rushes provokes AoOs, and heck, swift action movement). If it's a bonus on top of your normal modifiers, that's also awesome (crazy bull rush modifiers + Dungeoncrasher = fun times). If it's both, then it's freaking awesome (although I seriously doubt it)!

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
Quote from: Dragon Mag 342
Using a ki feat is a swift action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.  Additionally, in order to use a jutsu the ninja must have both hands free and empty.  In some cases, a ninja may expend a daily use of his ki power as a free action to maintain a jutsu's ability he is already using without reforming the jutsu's gestures.  The DC to save against a ninja's jutsu equals 10 + 1/2 his ninja levels + his Wisdom modifier, and his caster level equals his ninja level.  Unless otherwise noted, a jutsu's effect is an extraordinary ability, even if it is based on a spell.

Quote from: Wind Oxen Jutsu
You can spend one daily use of your ki power to perform a bull rush attack on an adjacent target.  You do not, however, need to actually touch the target, nor do you provoke an attack of opportunity.  You make a special bull rush check with a bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier + one-half your ninja class level.  You may expend additional daily uses of your ki power to gain a cumulative +4 bonus on your check per daily use spent.  You cannot move along with the target if you win the opposed check, but the target is still driven back an additional 5 feet for each 5 points by which your check exceed your target's.

It replaces the normal modifiers so it's not as awesome.  It's still a swift action though, and the target does provoke AoO's since no rules mention otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:49:30 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 03:29:08 AM »
If you have the elusive target feat (Complete Warrior, p110), any foe you designate to be affected by your dodge feat doesn't gain any bonus damage from power attack against you.  Ninja dodge is described as a version of the dodge feat, and it allows you to designate multiple targets to be affected.  If I'm reading things correctly, this is a nice interaction. 

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
If you have the elusive target feat (Complete Warrior, p110), any foe you designate to be affected by your dodge feat doesn't gain any bonus damage from power attack against you.  Ninja dodge is described as a version of the dodge feat, and it allows you to designate multiple targets to be affected.  If I'm reading things correctly, this is a nice interaction.

Sounds right to me, and I definitely like your idea. This one is definitely going in the handbook.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »
On a similar note, there's titan fighting (Races of Stone, p145).  If you designate a creature larger than you for dodge, you get +4 to AC instead of +1.  I'm not sure what happens if you allot more than one point to the enemy with ninja dodge. 

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
The AC bonuses would stack, since for all intents and purposes it is just a multi-target Dodge. Nice find, Maat Mons.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
On a similar note, there's titan fighting (Races of Stone, p145).  If you designate a creature larger than you for dodge, you get +4 to AC instead of +1.  I'm not sure what happens if you allot more than one point to the enemy with ninja dodge.

"Hey you, Tarrasque. Yeah, I'm talking to you, Mr. Fugly!"

Screw it, just fight in melee with Robilar's Gambit.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
Might I recommend adding a link in the guide to this discussion thread, and likewise adding a link here in the discussion to the guide itself?  Makes it easier to hop between them in case someone found the guide through your sig but has difficulties finding the guide since it's in a different place.

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
Sure, Jack. I can dig it.

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 09:10:51 AM »
Updated the handbook and fixed a few errors.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 12:35:02 PM »
Looks like some of the formatting got messed up in the transition. There are a few "�" floating around.

Edit: What's the duration on Hidden Kingdom Jutsu? The guide says "lasting one level", and I think that's supposed to be 1 TIME_UNIT/level, but I don't know what the time unit is. If it actually lasts until you next level up, that's even neater.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:38:02 PM by Garryl »

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2017, 05:21:20 PM »
Looks like some of the formatting got messed up in the transition. There are a few "�" floating around.

Edit: What's the duration on Hidden Kingdom Jutsu? The guide says "lasting one level", and I think that's supposed to be 1 TIME_UNIT/level, but I don't know what the time unit is. If it actually lasts until you next level up, that's even neater.

Thanks for the catch. I fixed the errors there, and Hidden Kingdom Jutsu is supposed to last for 1 round/level. I made sure to put that into the guide. Thanks so much ^_^