Author Topic: "Someone got paid for this?!" Terrible sourcebooks and modules thread  (Read 37314 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
3rd party or official supplements, this thread is dedicated to the nonsensical, the offensive, and the just plain bad products in the tabletop industry.  My Gaming Horror Stories gave us opportunities to "hate the player, not the game."  This thread is all about hating the game!  Or at least certain aspects of the game.  Share your thoughts and horror stories about sourcebooks not fit for print!

WG7 Castle Greyhawk: The iconic dungeon of Gygax's campaign setting, the true depths of this castle remained unpublished to this very day.  After Gygax parted ways with TSR on bad terms, some genius thought to make a module-long April Fool's Joke of an adventure.

Castle Greyhawk was advertised as a serious supplement, but it was full of NPCs and locations taken from modern pop culture, like Doctor Who and Scooby Doo.  Greyhawk fans and Gygax supporters were enraged.  The module was a slap in the face and just smacked on mean-spiritedness on the part of TSR.  There is always the possibility that the creators of the module had little ill intent and didn't realize the potential negative fallout they were about to unleash.

World of Darkness: Gypsies: Who thought that it would be a good idea to give a real-world ethnic group stereotypical magical abilities and power levels based on "bloodline purity?"  White Wolf fans would like to forget that this book even exists.

War!: Shadowrun sourcebook which is badly edited and derided as being against the spirit of the setting.  One particularly notorious adventure plot involved the PCs venturing into Auschwitz to loot the place for valuables while ghosts of Holocaust victims attacked them.  Very poor taste.

Black Tokyo d20: Modern horror setting which incorporates hentai tropes.  Very juvenile rules: steal a woman's panties, gain mind control power over her if you sully the underwear with your bodily fluids.  Spells that are only activated by incest?  Yuck!!

World's Largest Dungeon: "Don't play Druids, they'll be useless in this adventure!"  It's exactly what it says on the tin: one big, long dungeon crawl.  You get a lot of loot, but you can't sell it because there's no towns or vendors in this dungeon.  Just one encounter after another.  There is a plot going on, but I don't know if it's any good.

Encyclopedia of Demons & Devil, Volumes 1 & 2: CR 20 monster with only 40 hit points and little in the way of dodge buffs?  How about a CR 5 creature with a DC 30 Save or Die effect?  Or a devil with giant scissors that goes around and performs abortions on peasant women?  Or a new "evil pacifist" core class that's just a Cleric knock-off?  "Best publisher in the industry" my ass!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:37:57 PM by Libertad »

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
Re: "Someone got paid for this?!" Terrible sourcebooks and modules thread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
"Check ToEE."  That is all.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »
Complete Psionic was possibly made overnight, and without Bruce Cordell on the design team to ensure quality.

Explorer's Handbook was nigh unto useless for my Eberron campaigns.

I would never personally recommend buying the Adventurer's Guide to Eberron. Unlike Warhammer's fluff books, it looks like a splat, is formatted like a splat, is edited like a splat, but has no mechanical value at all (literally no mechanics were printed in the book). At least Liber Chaotica/Liber Necris were amazing reads...
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 02:48:22 AM »
I hated most of the Eberron books.

Other garbage books... MM4, Enemies and Allies, Hero Builder's Guide, Mysteries of the Moonsea, and the Book of Challenges
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:41:08 AM »
Complete Warrior was a step back from Sword & the Fist in so many ways, they would have been better off flat-out reprinting it with color pictures and quick updates of 3.0 mechanics.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline CE2JRH

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »
War!: Shadowrun sourcebook which is badly edited and derided as being against the spirit of the setting.  One particularly notorious adventure plot involved the PCs venturing into Auschwitz to loot the place for valuables while ghosts of Holocaust victims attacked them.  Very poor taste.

Black Tokyo d20: Modern horror setting which incorporates hentai tropes.  Very juvenile rules: steal a woman's panties, gain mind control power over her if you sully the underwear with your bodily fluids.  Spells that are only activated by incest?  Yuck!!

This was the point where I started sobbing with laughter. I need both these books so I can troll my RL group.

While we're at it, Book of Erotic Fantasy was also pretty awful, in terms of numerous spells and abilities based around non-consensual sexual assault (which they narrowly avoided casting as rape in most circumstances).

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:28:28 PM »
Complete Warrior was a step back from Sword & the Fist in so many ways, they would have been better off flat-out reprinting it with color pictures and quick updates of 3.0 mechanics.

Agreed, plus add a couple of the CW prcs and all the CW feats
- All Spells
- playground

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »

Other garbage books... MM4, Enemies and Allies, Hero Builder's Guide, Mysteries of the Moonsea, and the Book of Challenges

I actually found most of the Eberron books to be of generally high production quality.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »

I actually found most of the Eberron books to be of generally high production quality.
Some people (myself included) dislike how some of them are laid out. RoE was decently put together, but PGtE was a headache and a half.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
Well PGtE is a complete waste of space anyway but unlike a lot of the books out there the art style is pretty at least. I find a lot of the art used for the forgotten realms stuff to be awful in comparison.

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »

Some people (myself included) dislike how some of them are laid out. RoE was decently put together, but PGtE was a headache and a half.

Yes, to the layout, and especially with the generally poor ToCs.  ("Looking for the PrCs?  Well shit, I hope you're a good guesser, cuz we just slapped a title on each section and didn't bother to label any of it.")  :fu

But overall, the Eberron books weren't bad (PGtE aside).

I think my title of "biggest waste of paper" has to go the core book of a game called "Chosen" - a truly terrible "system" that I picked up on a whim for a bargain bin at my FLGS a few years back.  No tentacle rape, or Auschwitz tours, but my campaign notebooks have higher production values, and more thought put into them too.  (and so we're clear, my campaign notebooks are usually a bunch of scribbled notes to myself - not exactly the standard you want to fall below)

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
Nobody mentioned FATAL yet?

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
I was considering FATAL, but I wanted to focus on lesser-known products in my first post.

But yes, nothing can really top FATAL in terms of badness.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »

I think I was concentrating more on the layout. I think I preferred the core and FR art over the Eberron stuff. But thats just my taste ;)

My favorite pic in FR was Bane's emergence from Xvim's body in b&w
- All Spells
- playground

Offline archangel.arcanis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »
I was considering FATAL, but I wanted to focus on lesser-known products in my first post.

But yes, nothing can really top FATAL in terms of badness.
This. I figured it was understood that FATAL was a crime against humanity and thus automatically won worst product award.  ;)

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Seerow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 02:06:03 AM »
I don't think Complete Warrior really deserves a spot up there. I mean yeah it may not be up to the standards of the Completes, or Sword and Fist, but it is not in the same category of fail as WAR!

Also, I liked WLD. It was good for what it was intended to be, a huge ass fucking dungeon that you are stuck in for the entire game. It never pretends to be anything else, if that's not your thing you wouldn't be inclined to buy it anyway.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
I don't think Complete Warrior really deserves a spot up there. I mean yeah it may not be up to the standards of the Completes, or Sword and Fist, but it is not in the same category of fail as WAR!
You're right it's not as bad as those other books, it's just it didn't need to be printed in the first place. They already had a perfectly serviceable S&F book. A bit of 3.0 -> 3.5 errata and they would have been fine.

So, given the thread's title, I don't think someone deserved to be paid for CW given the net change of the system and what they already had.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
For most of White Wolf's books, what sorry excuses of editors, production control and quality control are in play. Seriously, did anyone even look it over before printing?
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.