Author Topic: Concentration and being tripped  (Read 1502 times)

Offline IlPazzo

• Vbi solitudinem facimus, pacem appellamus.
    • View Profile
Concentration and being tripped
« on: October 16, 2019, 06:53:53 AM »
Hi guys,
it's been a very long while since my last game, so I don't remember rules properly.

What kind of concentration DC does a successful trip attempt imposes to keep spellcasting? Is it ruled anywhere what kind of motion (vigorous, violent, extraordinarily violent) it is?

Also, on a related note, how do you resolve multiple sources of distraction that happen at the same time, such as a trip followed by an improved trip attack? Or even being damaged under bad weather, for low level games?

Do you make separate rolls, or is there some rule to add to the DC? Just plain old +2 DC for unfavourable condition?

Can't find anything on the rules compendium.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Concentration and being tripped
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »
I'd say violent cause it calls out being tossed about. Which tripping does.

Checks for violent weather are in the srd.

The injury entry in spellcasting also clarifies continuous vs repetitive damage and that continuous damage only makes a check as taking half damage. Continuous damage would be something like bleed damage. Otherwise, you make a separate concentration check for every other sour e of damage or distraction that happens between starting casting and finishing casting the spell.

Everything is from the baseline srd right here.

For your example, check for the trip, new check for the damage from imp trip, then new check for damage from weather.

Weather would definitely fall under continuous damage so that check would only count half the damage of the weather for determining your DC.

Btw, PHB defines continuous damage as damage that continues every round without the need of an attack roll.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:12:45 PM by ketaro »