Author Topic: Low End IC Episode I- Clean Up Operation  (Read 46426 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Low End IC Episode I- Clean Up Operation
« on: May 04, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »
Parum Military outpost at the outskirts of area X781-Codename Forest IV

It's a nice day, clear of clouds, the yellow sun shining above you, and just a few hovering sentinel drones in sight. Plus some birds. And butterflies. Not holograms, but local, breathing wildlife!

In front of you extends a vast sea of tall green grass punctuated by massive trees and bushes. Not an hologram or synthetic replicas, the real, organic thing! Well, at least as "real" as lab-engineered plant specimens can get.

At your side, a tall metallic fortification, with mecha hangars and heavy gun emplacements, with some elvish sentries in grey and green military uniform, photon rifles at their backs. If talked to, they simply tell you to wait.

You can't stop noticing that despite looking impressive at distance, in proximity the fortification seems like it has seen better days, rust formed over the  cannon barrels and wild vines growing over and cracking the walls here and there. The soldiers uniforms and rifles seem well treated, but they have little other combat gear to speak of. Even the hovering drones patroling the terrain are clearly old models with improvised repairs that look like they should've been sent to recycling long ago.

After some minutes of your arrival, a soldier comes out from the outpost's main door, this one with some silver strips on his shoulders revealing some sort of higher rank. Instead of a rifle he carries twin pistols at his belt. He looks elven at first due to his thin features, but his darker skin tone and more feline eyes reveals his true nature as a newman. He stops in front of you in a rigid pose, and starts speaking in a disciplined, strong voice:

I'm Hopkins, a lieutenant in the 32nd WORKS division of Parum's Military land task force.
Our job here is to patrol and guard the limits of Forest IV.
As you may know, an experimental bioplant sits at the center of this area, part of Parum's Organic Restoration Project.
And as you can see, it was quite sucessful for the last decades, creating a whole new vibrant ecosystem.

However-and what I'm about to tell you is extremely confidential- recently something went wrong. Nobody knows when or why it started, but when we noticed it, Forest IV had became infested with biomonsters.

The bioplant was fully automated. When the higher ups tried to shut it down from afar, they couldn't stablish contact. Probably related to the malfuction that made it start producing up organic rampaging predators.

I received the Administration's order to contain the situation and go to the bioplant at the center of Forest IV to shut it down manually. But our force is here is ill-equipped, we have our hands full just stoping biomonsters here from wandering on the neighbour areas, let alone make our way in to the bioplant. So I asked for suport, and here you are.

Your job is to get to the bioplant, enter it and disable the automatic system. You're free to kill anything that gets in your way, but the higher ups want the bioplant back in one piece. So you can't just crash inside with your mechas or shoot until the whole structure comes down. Once you've dealt with any biomonsters outside, you'll have to come out from your machines and enter on foot.

I admit that our soldiers are too weak. Good luck.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:42:37 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Low End IC Episode I- Clean Up Operation
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »
"As ship captain, I would like to ask whether any flying monsters have been observed; if our foes are exclusively ground-bound, I believe that the Illustrious can transport us the majority of the way in relative safety," a black-haired girl, dressed in a shortened blue kimono and wearing a scarf despite the warm day, asked, briefly resting her hand on her chin before folding her arms confidently, "Otherwise, going on foot appears the most effective option, as it saves precious time when inevitably attacked."

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
Yes, we've already faced some variants of biomonsters capable of aerial combat. We've lost some our own Lion units against them actually when we tried to reach the Bioplant by air.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »
"Sir, do you have a map of the plant? We'd better know exactly which way is fastest to our objetive".
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
At the back of the group stands a fairly nondescript looking young man, average height and build with medium shade brown hair in a short military cut. He seems anxious about speaking, almost glancing over his shoulder as if afraid someone might be after him. When he does speak, however, his voice is strong, even a little overconfident sounding, "Anything you can tell us about the types of monsters seen so far would help as well."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:47:15 AM »
Another young man who has been standing off to one side speaks up.  He appears to have a mecha superimposed around his body, almost like a hologram, with special emphasis on the bracers.  Those who keep up with new technological advances remember something about a relatively new holographic technology that is more than just pretty pictures, they can affect the physical world.

Under it he is wearing a long leather coat but carries no visible weapons, and even through the hologram his bright blue eyes can be distinguished.  "What is our timeline?"

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
The kobold, however, was noticeably uncomfortable. Throughout their lives, Kobolds had stayed away from such verdant areas, preferring caves, mountain slopes, and eventually the city. In the darkness, green usually meant deadly molds or intense radiation. Brown, blue, white, now those were more reassuring colors to a species who spent more time underground than dwarves.

"I, for one, say we get this done as quickly as possible. I... really hate all this green. Green means lethal gasses."
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »
"We'll fix that soon enough, though, won't we," An orange red glint appears in the young man's eye and a thin wisp of smoke curls from the side of his mouth. "Everything turns black, when it's been charred by Dragon Fire."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »
"Can we please not set a century of progress back to square one with careless use of fire? Wanton destruction makes things better for nobody," Alexia complained, frowning at the suggestion all the scenery get immolation, "I am afraid I must ask you to not board my ship if you go through with such an act."

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 12:16:18 PM »
The kobold sidled away from the pyromaniac. "There's a difference between 'I'm uncomfortable around something the color of things my species associates with death' and 'kill it with fire.' I'll be just as happy once I'm in SimoLeon and we can be on our way."
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »
The pilot wilts under his comrades rebuke, "I was just trying to be friendly..." he mumbles.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
An inaudible whirr of gears as a large-looking CAST places his hand on the soldier's shoulder in a show of support.

His armor plating looks light but seamless; hardly standard issue. It would be hard to guess it had been designed several centuries ago. At waist-level, behind his back, is what seems to be the massive handle of a sword, the safety still locked in place.

He has short, black hair, and a mostly plain face, intelligent yet sad blue optics gazing about.

"I'm plenty sure we'll have opportunity to set fire to hostiles soon enough. Let's just keep the collateral to a minimum, shall we?"
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 06:55:07 PM »
"Sir, do you have a map of the plant? We'd better know exactly which way is fastest to our objetive".

Yes. Here, I'll share it with you-replies Hopkins , handing you a photon hologram.
(click to show/hide)

Your main target would be the Control Panel, but there's also several Supply Storages scattered across the bioplant. Aparently they were added before the place was made fully automated in the case of an emergency for the people who first worked there. I would say this is the time for them to be used.

When he does speak, however, his voice is strong, even a little overconfident sounding, "Anything you can tell us about the types of monsters seen so far would help as well."

We've met three main kinds of biomonsters so far, all as big as a Gespent. I've taken the liberty of compiling the data we've uncovered about them for you to inform yourselves
-continues Hopkings, handing you three more photon holograms.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Mutations from those patterns are however a too common ocurrence. If you find a pack of biomonsters, chances are that at least one of those has some nasty suprise inside its guts.

"What is our timeline?"

Due to the unusuality of this situation, we weren't given one.
But I can assure you, the faster you can solve this, the more satisfied the higher ups will be with your performace, and the better will be your future work prospects.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »
Leaning in to look at the map hologram, Alexia concluded that fully half of the supplies would best be investigated after reaching the control panel, since going out of their way to get to them seemed... counter-intuitive, at best.

"How big is the plant?"

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »
"And what is supposed to be in these supply storages? Are they of any value to you and your opperation? And after we power the plant down, you'll still have to deal with the biomonsters on the loose. Are we required to clear them all too?"
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
"You've told us that we'll have to enter the plant on foot, but the only biomonsters that you have met are as big as Gespent.  Are you telling us that you have no idea what kind of resistance we'll encounter once we have exited our mechas?"

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
"How big is the plant?"

The map is in scale, each square side corresponds to roughly five feet. So around 150 feet by 425 feet.

"And what is supposed to be in these supply storages? Are they of any value to you and your opperation? And after we power the plant down, you'll still have to deal with the biomonsters on the loose. Are we required to clear them all too?"

The supply storages will contain mostly assorted medical equipment and electronic tools. However there should also be some weapons and protection gear in there. Standard issue back when the bioplant was built,  since there were still some dangerous groups roaming the wastelands then, the remants of the defeated armies and those who didn't acept the Android Administration. Thanks Alys they now only show up in holograms, crazy nasty folk they were.

Whatever you find that isn't bolted to the walls is yours, but I'll gladly take anything you're willing to share with us. What the higher ups give us nowadays feel more like glowing toys compared to what was still being built in the aftermath of the Devastation War. If we could get our hands in some better guns, frames and healing mates, it would definetely make our job easier.

Don't worry about having to kill every last biomonster in Forest IV. Once you've made sure new ones aren't being produced, my squads should be able to mop up any leftovers in the open. We could use the training, and besides the higher ups will want a report about what you found inside the bioplant as soon as possible.

"You've told us that we'll have to enter the plant on foot, but the only biomonsters that you have met are as big as Gespent.  Are you telling us that you have no idea what kind of resistance we'll encounter once we have exited our mechas?"
Hopkins looks somewhat embarassed at this comment.

...Yes. We know that there's smaller biomonsters in Forest IV. But we know little to nothing about them, since they never engage us while inside our mechas and never try to roam out of the cover of the vegetation into the surrounding areas. But whenever one of ours had to eject inside Forest IV, if we didn't get to their escape pods quick enough... Whatever was left of the poor pilot when we got there was barely enough to order a replacement clone.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »
"Well then, if there are no more questions, we should get moving. To my knowledge we'll need to be fast. I suggest we drop any heavy machinery and armor add-on in order to be as quick as possible. In and out quickly before every biomonsters in the area come chasing us. Once we have the plant offline, we start clearing the place from bad guys. Do you agree? And miss, I'm sure you won't object if we fight the flying biomonsters over you ship's hull, right? I don't think its guns will be enough to punch through".

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »
"Sounds like a fine plan as any. You point, I slice."
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »
"And I BURN!" He stops himself and looks nervously at the ship captain and the kobold, "Taking all possible precautions to prevent unecessary collateral damage, of course."