Author Topic: Gaiden Chapter I-Taking Charge  (Read 23342 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Gaiden Chapter I-Taking Charge
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:30:03 AM »
It's a cold, rainy day, fit for the general mood in Etruria Castle. You've been summoned to the War Room, where in the days of old the top commanders of Etruria's army would sit to discuss. A large stone division whitout windows in the first floor of the castle, suported by intricate columns, with a massive oak table at its middle, on the top of which rests an equally massive map of Elibe covered in tiny colored flags and detailed miniatures of troops and fortifications. Blue ones, represeting your forces, are very few and concentrated in a very small area of the map, surrounded by a sea of red ones representing nearby enemies, and a few green ones scattered across representing neutral parties. Scrolls filled with reports and supply lists lie half-scattered over the map as well. Around the strategy table are dozens of chairs plus a small metal throne at the position of honor. They're all empty now.

The one that summoned you stands on his feet, clad in his full set of heavy steel plate except for the helmet, revealing the bald head of an old, tired man. Guard Captain Vallace, called from the retirement on his farm to command the Etruria's castle garrison force when the young king Mildain left on his quest taking the royal guard  and the remaining elite forces on the castle with him.

You all have heard of Vallace's great deeds during his prime time on the army, holding off small armies by himself, protecting the weak and injured in the fray of battle, an highly skilled warrior with an equal high sense of honor. However it's clear to any that look at him now that even if he still has some fight on him, his best years have passed long away. Calling him off from retirement was a clear desesperate measure of a desesperate kingdom.

Still when he crosses eyes with you, you can see nothing but determined will as he starts speaking:

I'm not going to try to pretty up this-The situation we find ourselves into is the most dire I ever remember. Reports keep coming in of Etruria's villages and farms being raided by bandits, what's left of our army is being pushed back relentlessly by Bern's military, our supplies are dwindling and even this castle only has a token garrison left. If Bern were to launch a fast attack here and catch us off-guard, that would be the end.

Our young King Mildain left me in charge of Etruria Castle before he left. I grudgingly accepted because the castle and the nearby lands need to be protected while his highness is away. But I'm now afraid that if we just sit here waiting for the enemy to come to us or King Mildain to come back, we're doomed as it is.

We need to protect the distant farms and villages. We need to secure our supply lines, draft and train new recruits.
We need to take the fight back to the enemy!
But I never was much good at logistics or large-scale strategy. Fighting on the front, organizing the defense of a castle, I'm good at that if I may say so. We need much more than that to overcome the current situation.
I can't be everywhere at once, and I wouldn't know where to start...

But you... You have talent. Potential. Experience. You can turn this situation around if you're given the opportunity to lead.

So, even if it's disobeying the orders I received, I'm puting you in charge of Etruria's forces until King Mildain's return!

Vallace takes his right gauntlet to his chest and makes a large bow towards you

Now, what are your orders, my lieges?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:44:48 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Gaiden Chapter I-Taking Charge
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »
"Can you tell me what all these figures are?" Myriam asked. She was mildly amused at her presence, not having lived in Etruria long, and definitely not any better at leading an army than the formerly retired soldier. But for fighting? Well, that she was much better at, "I know the blue ones are the nice people, nobody cares about the green guys, and the red ones can be killed and driven insane. But what do they represent?"
As she was saying this, the short, slender girl picked up one of the green figures and started examining it from every angle, as if there would be a label on the base or similar.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
On the base of the miniature, Myriam can see carved letters: "GBA/7/16/2004". She can only wonder what they mean tough.

First, bear in mind the map isn't exactly to scale, but it still allows us to get a feeling of the current tactical situation.

Each of the figures represents a platoon of troops-roughly between twenty and fourty troops each.

The figures with spears are basic infantry. I'm afraid that's all we really have available in quantity right now. We have some other kinds of troops still in our side, but not anywhere close to organize in full platoons.

The ones on horses are obviously cavarly. Fast on the open, but get bogged down easily on forests and mountains.

Those with bows are archers, providing ranged support, in particular against enemies coming from above.

The ones with cloaks and spellbooks are arcane mages. Mind you, Bren doesn't have hundreds of mages deployed against us. Each platoon of mages  only has some three or four actual magic users, the rest will be regular infantry with the role of bodyguards.

Those with staffs and robes are divine priests. Similarly to the mages, only a few actual priests per platoon, the others protect them at all costs.

The ones with axes are bandits, opportunist scum, raiders and other villains. They carry whatever weapons and armor they can get their hands on and despite their lack of organization, their unpredictability still makes them quite dangerous.

The big building there is Castle Etruria, where we are now.

The smaller castles are minor but still important fortifications. I'm afraid those that are still on our hands are besieged by enemies of one kind or another. It's been our luck that the bad weather of the last months has slowed down the enemy advance, but it won't last forever...

The tiny houses are villages and farms, the true pillars of any proper kingdom if you ask me.

Aerial forces like pegasus and wyvern riders, as well as saboteurs and assassins are not presented in the map because they're either too mobile or too elusive for us to be able to keep track of them.

Finally, green figures are traveling mercenaries and merchants, offering their services to whoever can afford them. I would love to hire them, but our treasury is basically empty. We would need to secure funds from some place before.

Altough... The group up north has stablished itself on a fort we had lost to local raiders, which they then drove off. I've heard they have since converted the fort into an arena and take on any challengers, with great gold prizes to the winners. But you need to either bet money upfront or your own life to enter their arena. I couldn't ask  my subordinates to take that kind of risk, neither I feel confident enough to take on that arena myself.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »
The Knight of the Wind, Caliburn at his side, looked at the woman in shock, a half-eaten dish made of sausage, bread, and chili in his hand. He was a knight, and knew that the man who had called him was the kind of person he'd want in charge of an army- one more concerned with people than petty victories. Still, he wasn't too keen on following orders, even back home.

"Woah, lady! I know that this is a war, but those enemy soldiers are still people with famil-"

He was cut off, however, by his sword ejecting from its sheath slightly to admonish its wielder. Maurice dropped the food in surprise before catching it and finishing it.
"This is a war, Sir Ogilvie! 'Tis no time for such sentimentality."

The knight drew his sword and twisted it around to be face-to-face with the facial design on the hilt.

"Hey! I'm just saying, we might be able to scare them off. Who wants to fight a hopeless battle?"

"A knight never flees his foe, Sir Ogilvie. You MUST face those who-"

"Are my EQUALS and challenge me. The code also says I'm supposed to seek the greatest challenge, right? Probably the man in charge of the invaders." At this, Maurice began counting off on his fingers with a smirk. "So I head south, do some cleanup, find out who ordered the extra-large barrel of defeat, and we'll be done in time to take in something at the theater!"
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
The figure resembling a mass of rocks bound together in a vaguely humanoid shape speaks, his voice unsurprisingly gravely but with an overtone that those familiar with the term might label "digital."

"Thank you for your trust in us, Captain Vallace. I will do my utmost to preserve your country and those living there."

It seemed as if Regideus  might continue speaking but he fell silent and Tanek, the trimly built, copper skinned, young man at his side stepped up to the map in his stead.

"How much information do you have on your enemies' forces, captain? Are they capable, experienced? How do they compare to your own troops? In particular, the mages and priests, do you have an idea of their skill with magic? For instance, are the mages skilled enough to perform a full transformation into another creature, of a different kind (a human turning into a lion, for example)? Can they teleport multiple subjects a distance of several hundred feet? Information of this type will help us formulate an effective strategy when meet the enemy in battle."

(click to show/hide)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »
A man, with short brown hair and wearing robes, with a countenance about him and manner of looking at the table as if the whole world about him is a series of things to be processed and analyzed.
"I know the blue ones are the nice people, nobody cares about the green guys, and the red ones can be killed and driven insane. But what do they represent?"
Blue are nice people, who should be protected. Red are ones who must be dealt with, whether killed, captured or otherwise, in order to protect the blue people.
Green are ones we don't care about, but they can be turned blue or red, possibly without warning. Thus they shouldn't be ignored entirely.

"Woah, lady! I know that this is a war, but those enemy soldiers are still people with famil-"
As are the forces they wish to cut down. If there must be Widows Tears, let them be those who belong to the aggressors.
He says, but not with any emotion. He speaks this in a manner of someone explaining a mathematical process.

"Hey! I'm just saying, we might be able to scare them off. Who wants to fight a hopeless battle?"
Time and Speed are of the essence, if we were to hold back, or use methods that require a greater investment in one location, then it would be that much less likely for assistance to reach other battle-groups in time.

Those who concern themselves with such things may say that Patience and Mercy are "virtues". But to Academians and Soldiers, they are luxuries. If they can be afforded, then they should, but this map does not bode for such things.

"The code also says I'm supposed to seek the greatest challenge, right? Probably the man in charge of the invaders."
*Blink**Blink*
*Smirk* (More our "Eh" emote than the smirk)
You wish for the greatest challenge, HMM? That is NOT, here, today, whomsoever is the greatest threat. Today, the greatest challenge is in seeing as many of the defending forces live as possible.

"For instance, are the mages skilled enough to perform a full transformation into another creature"
HMM, you will have to forgive me this, I took this form not knowing whom I would encounter here, but this form is uncomfortable to me anymore.
Ans so, the man takes the form of a dragon with blue-ish white scales. The dragon wears only a cape, but it seems as if it is cut in a way to keep him covered, more like a blanket over a horse in the sun.
Though most of those magics you mention are not like that which I currently wield, what I did was more innate than my magic.

You will have to forgive is you think me too cold as I say so, but I do not think it would be wise to try to win everything, and protect everyone. We must make difficult choices if we are to win.
One of the most important things is to preserve as much of our forces as we can, and if possible, consolidate them into a single defensive force. Once that is done, we can then start utilizing portions of the force to attack. As it is, the forces are too spread out too be able to either attack or defend properly against these overwhelming enemy formations.
These ones at far forts who are not engaged should be recalled to the castle, I think.

He points first to the ones at AM5, and AC6.
These should consolidate themselves as quickly as possible, then make way to the castle.
He then points to the garrison at Q4.
These ones should first head due south, then follow the river at a distance to return to the castle.
Looking more intently at the active battles.
He then taps one claw right on top of the Allied Soldier marker at Z26.
And, How long do you believe that these men will be able to hold the choke point without further aid?
Never-mind, we cannot afford to make them wait longer than necessary.
Sending out troops from the castle might be somewhat counter-intuitive here, but we must preserve as many of our troops as possible.
I say it would be best to send out two groups of soldiers out from the castle, have them position themselves about this side of thee pass, then have the defenders pull back so that their knights must choose to either not advance, or fight three times their number. Given their aid, I imagine they will choose to take their chances. But it should help minimize our casualties, while maximizing theirs.

Arthur now simply stares at the forces about the fort at AC27.
The other battlefront is more... perturbitory. But, there is a point of potential there.
We need to claim victory over those forces. Need to.
Though I hate, most vehemently, the idea of leaving only one battlegroup in a castle this size. We must send out reinforcements to that battle.
One unit of soldiers is better than nothing.

... What we really need, is some form of strike force. Someone who can hit hard in the middle of the enemy group there, get that battle won, then move north over the river and through the woods, to flank the enemies at the other battle.

If you'll bear to pardon my saying so, Captain Vallace, it seems to me you've called here some people who have less value at strategy, and more value at implementation.

In this area, the one of the greatest current engagement, we need to break the support, the archers, mages and priests, and then the rest.
If possible, we need to attempt to gather the horses form their cavarly. As well as any provisions possessed by the enemy troops, and they must have brought something of sustenance to march on.
The mounts would help us move our troops about, even if none have the training to ride in battle. And the enemies provisions can be used as our own as well.

Then this last is not hears out loud, but rather in your heads:

Thoughts?
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
"I too have some facility with altering my shape," said the walking mountain, "I can assume a form capable of transporting a unit or two of soldiers, as well as the members of the current company, at a fair speed."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:15:47 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:50:53 PM »
Alan stood to the side of the table, watching and listening.  He replied when the dragon had finished speaking.  "I agree, we seem to be more useful as our own strike force than in analyzing stratagems from behind."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 07:13:58 AM »
Myriam grinned, looking at the most densely concentrated area of resistance. She wanted to go there, too: go there where things would be the most fun and the most dangerous and the most novel. Small, scattered groups of soldiers were too normal to be interesting. "I want to go to the large group, too. That looks like the most interesting place to be."

Everyone talking about transforming made the small girl grin. So they weren't normal people at all? Fun! Of course, she couldn't transform all the way and lose her new friends, but she could go halfway and give a taster.

"Oh, and I can transform as well."

Then the girl shifted from human to a betentacled, barely around human sized mass, golden eyes set within its body looking out at people and a crawling, flaming sigil shifting along its body. After long enough for everybody to see the thing, it collapsed back into the form of Myriam, hair perfectly straight and all. "That's not all I can do, but I can't do the rest right now. Not safe."

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »
Maurice looked to the sword, then the others in the room before stretching a bit.

"Would you believe that's not the scariest thing I've ever seen? I mean, don't get me wrong, still pretty freaky, but I saw Tobor the Round in a swimsuit."

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 12:40:40 PM »
Captain Vallace seeks to aid you with your preparations[url].

"How much information do you have on your enemies' forces, captain? Are they capable, experienced? How do they compare to your own troops?
From our reports, most of the enemy forces have received basic, solid training and drilling, definetely not simple militia or conspricts. Most of them have some experience, but few could be called actual  veterans.

Bern's Knight units seem to have the greater martial skill among them. The officers leading their forces are a step or two above that.

Raiders are an undisciplined rabble, more dangerous for their numbers and dirty tactics than anything else.

As for our remaining forces, they've been well trained and most of them have already experienced battle of some sorts. Soldier per soldier they probably can stand against  Bern's forces. But our remaining officers are mostly green. They can barely compare to the ruthless commanders Bern has leading their forces... What was King Mildain thinking when he took all of our veterans with him?

In particular, the mages and priests, do you have an idea of their skill with magic? For instance, are the mages skilled enough to perform a full transformation into another creature, of a different kind (a human turning into a lion, for example)? Can they teleport multiple subjects a distance of several hundred feet? Information of this type will help us formulate an effective strategy when meet the enemy in battle."

As far as the frontline battles tell, the biggest magic used by Bern's forces has been balls of fire. More usually blinding showers and sticky webs. Which is still a lot more than what we have available to us.

You will have to forgive is you think me too cold as I say so, but I do not think it would be wise to try to win everything, and protect everyone. We must make difficult choices if we are to win.
One of the most important things is to preserve as much of our forces as we can, and if possible, consolidate them into a single defensive force. Once that is done, we can then start utilizing portions of the force to attack. As it is, the forces are too spread out too be able to either attack or defend properly against these overwhelming enemy formations.
These ones at far forts who are not engaged should be recalled to the castle, I think.

He points first to the ones at AM5, and AC6.
These should consolidate themselves as quickly as possible, then make way to the castle.
He then points to the garrison at Q4.
These ones should first head due south, then follow the river at a distance to return to the castle.

Your sugestion here makes sense from a military point of view on the short term...
But recalling those troops back to the castle will result in the nearby raider groups being left free to do as they will. It will be only a matter of time until they realize the local troops have left and seek to take advantage of it...
However it's still your decision. You're right, hard choices have to be made. I couldn't do them with a clear conscience, so that's why I'm handling the responsability to you. Forgive me for my cowardice in this situation...

Looking more intently at the active battles.
He then taps one claw right on top of the Allied Soldier marker at Z26.
And, How long do you believe that these men will be able to hold the choke point without further aid?
Not much, they're badly outmatched against Bern's knights. A day. Maybe two with luck.

Never-mind, we cannot afford to make them wait longer than necessary.
Sending out troops from the castle might be somewhat counter-intuitive here, but we must preserve as many of our troops as possible.
I say it would be best to send out two groups of soldiers out from the castle, have them position themselves about this side of thee pass, then have the defenders pull back so that their knights must choose to either not advance, or fight three times their number. Given their aid, I imagine they will choose to take their chances. But it should help minimize our casualties, while maximizing theirs.[/b][/color]

A good strategy.

Arthur now simply stares at the forces about the fort at AC27.
The other battlefront is more... perturbitory. But, there is a point of potential there.
We need to claim victory over those forces. Need to.
Though I hate, most vehemently, the idea of leaving only one battlegroup in a castle this size. We must send out reinforcements to that battle.
One unit of soldiers is better than nothing.

... What we really need, is some form of strike force. Someone who can hit hard in the middle of the enemy group there, get that battle won, then move north over the river and through the woods, to flank the enemies at the other battle.

If you'll bear to pardon my saying so, Captain Vallace, it seems to me you've called here some people who have less value at strategy, and more value at implementation.
I expected nothing less from you. What Etruria needs now is strong, capable commanders leading from the front and by example.

In this area, the one of the greatest current engagement, we need to break the support, the archers, mages and priests, and then the rest.
If possible, we need to attempt to gather the horses form their cavarly. As well as any provisions possessed by the enemy troops, and they must have brought something of sustenance to march on.
The mounts would help us move our troops about, even if none have the training to ride in battle. And the enemies provisions can be used as our own as well.[/b][/color]

I would guess they've been concentrating their forces on the village areas precisely to secure the livestocks and crops there.
Which means we'll probably end up just taking back what's ours by right.

Alan stood to the side of the table, watching and listening.  He replied when the dragon had finished speaking.  "I agree, we seem to be more useful as our own strike force than in analyzing stratagems from behind."

I assure you I wouldn't have given you this burden if I suspected if you would simply sit in this castle playing the lifes of soldiers like chess pieces.

"Oh, and I can transform as well."

Then the girl shifted from human to a betentacled, barely around human sized mass, golden eyes set within its body looking out at people and a crawling, flaming sigil shifting along its body. After long enough for everybody to see the thing, it collapsed back into the form of Myriam, hair perfectly straight and all. "That's not all I can do, but I can't do the rest right now. Not safe."

Vallace simply smirks at the girl's transformation.

It's not my place to judge you by how you look. In my youth I myself fought at the side of some quite exotic companions.
I trust you'll put whatever unique talents you have at defending Etruria's people.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »
"I like the idea of going to the surrounded fort. Plenty of bad people to fight and turn into... friends," Myriam remarked, staring intently at AC27 and grinning, "Might even be able to get a leader or mage or someone fun onto our side! And best of all, they won't be able to say no. I like making friends. It's fun."

Straightening her kimono, the girl folded her arms and looked thoughtful, "How long would it take to get there?"

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
What was King Mildain thinking when he took all of our veterans with him?
Irrelevant. We may theory-craft another day. Let us all focus on questions of import.

Arthur seems to still be emotionless as he speaks. Though these words may seem brashly given, or from a person irate, this dragon states them as a simple matter-of-fact.

Your suggestion here makes sense from a military point of view on the short term...
But recalling those troops back to the castle will result in the nearby raider groups being left free to do as they will. It will be only a matter of time until they realize the local troops have left and seek to take advantage of it...
However it's still your decision. You're right, hard choices have to be made. I couldn't do them with a clear conscience, so that's why I'm handling the responsibility to you. Forgive me for my cowardice in this situation...
In an ideal situation, we would be able to return the forces to their locations with great enough haste for that to not be an issue.
But, to be honest, the full thought was to let them have their way for now, win the current engagements, then return with forces that could actually do something.
That, however, was predicated on the thought that the raiders will behave as men, and not as beasts. If you really believe they pose that great of a risk to the innocent people and the workable lands, then you are correct that we cannot afford to let them be as such.

Arthur, looks up from the map, and looks directly at the captain.

My comment was not based on short term. I can understand the confusion, with your lifespan being what it is. I was looking at the very long term. The idea that some loss of land was acceptable in the current, so long as the kingdom survived well enough to reclaim the lost property.
The only miscalculation I may have made was in the assumption as to the behaviors and humors of the aggressors in those areas.

And still, his words are flat. He also then goes back to simply looking at the map.

I would guess they've been concentrating their forces on the village areas precisely to secure the livestocks and crops there.
Which means we'll probably end up just taking back what's ours by right.
Hmm...

Other than that, at the very least, it would be prudent to not delay, unless anyone has better ideas, it would be best to send out the forces for the northern group.

I will defer to your critiques, Captain, and trust that the remote forces are better where they are. But I will say that leaving our forces spread out as such, does mean that we need to work more quickly on clearing the board.
It matters less to be stretched thin, if there is nothing to defend against.

Very well, if we must be aggressive, then we must do so well.

To that end, these Mercenary groups, do you know off-hand what their asking price would be?
If we can have them deal with the brigands and raiders, then that would allow us to allocate more of our forces to the relevant battles, but means is an issue. I am aware that we do not have enough at this point, but it would help to know just how much would be required. The enemy may have coffers for us to put to such use as we overcome them.

"Plenty of bad people to fight and turn into... friends,""Might even be able to get a leader or mage or someone fun onto our side! And best of all, they won't be able to say no. I like making friends. It's fun."
Such types of things are often considered morally questionable after the battles are won. If you focus your mental manipulations on their healers and mounts, however, then I doubt that any of the 'morally upright' would complain afterwards.

And we could really use the healers and mounts. The mages are less of a priority, but a good goal to have none-the-less.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »
"Dude, I don't CARE if it's convenient. Brainwashing is wrong no matter what. You can't go around changing who people are."

"Sir Ogilvie speaks the truth. It is the tactic of cowards and thieves."

"And as for you, overgrown lizard, chivalry's not about convenience. It's about sticking to principles to uphold the greater good, even at personal cost. And if you can honestly say that basic morality should be ditched during a battle, well, I don't think I can work with you very well."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 01:03:53 PM »
"The 'greater good' is often poorly defined and even sometimes impossible to attain with one's resources.  Keep in mind that entire wars can be avoided and thus the 'greater good' of preserving life can be attained through assassination and subterfuge.  All war is deceit."

Alan punctuated his last sentence by dropping the image his Holographic Projector showed, revealing his cybernetic implants and true features.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:31:44 PM by Jackinthegreen »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
Tanek is studying the map. "I notice that, while the enemy soldiers are grouped in companies of significant size, the raiders are scattered in many small units. Using the mobility we discussed a moment ago, we should be able to eliminate or drive off many of them with minimal risk to ourselves."

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »
"Dude, I don't CARE if it's convenient. Brainwashing is wrong no matter what. You can't go around changing who people are."

"Sir Ogilvie speaks the truth. It is the tactic of cowards and thieves."

"And as for you, overgrown lizard, chivalry's not about convenience. It's about sticking to principles to uphold the greater good, even at personal cost. And if you can honestly say that basic morality should be ditched during a battle, well, I don't think I can work with you very well."

Arthur breaths in very, very, deeply his mouth open, and seems to be trying to make the inhale loud enough to echo (though he does not manage to).

There is a saying dragons have, "Take the Deep Breath". It is meant as I just did it. When we breath in, we are not also breathing out, not to use the strength of our breath, nor to speak. The saying is one of patience and temperance. A reminder to find your internal balance before jumping in.

Arthur then look strait at Sir Ogilvie

Good sir, "Take the Deep Breath".
You are mistaken quite greatly about me, my motives, and my moral integrity.
There has been miscommunication, I believe.
And most of all, there is no need for you to be so derisive towards me. Not towards my character, nor my race.

I do not "ditch morality in battle". Rather, it is that my moral views on this situation are based on having the greatest possible number of survivors. Were you not the one, just a moment ago, commenting that there should be a means to overcome the enemy in ways that do not harm them? You gave the example of routing them, for the sake of their families, even.

I am thinking of the families of this countries soldiers and citizens.

And there is nothing, about this situation, or my suggestions, that is in any way, "Convenient". This is a dire situation, and has potential to get worse.

However, and this is a very critical part of your dissent against me, I am an Academician. I seek to learn. I looked at the situation, and stated what I believed to be the most advisable path in order to manage the saving of lives. At every point, I inquired as to the thoughts of others, as I am hardly alone here, nor am I any form of particular specialist in the art of combative strategems. I wish to have further information and input, so that we may all, us and those in the field, take the best possible course of action.

You wish to make comments about taking a convenient path, when you offer nothing to assist, other than objecting to whatever is said?

By all means, if you know of some way to have everyone come out, on this side of the battle and that, with little to no casualties,

*Loud Telepathy to the group*
Offer It

Because I am doing the best I can think to, but if you can do better, then it is you who should do so. Without the disrespect towards others, please. Or is disrespect such as referring to Manakete as "Overgrown Lizards" your definition of "chivalry".

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:57:01 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »
Regideus spoke. If his voice had previously resembled an avalanche, this time it was more like an earthquake. Soldiers on the walls felt the rumble and looked around nervously.

"Fellow sentients!"

He continued in his former tone which only modestly rattled the walls

"We are here to defend this land and its people. If any of you harbor the slightest sympathy for this country or those who call it home, you will not foster discord within our company. How can we possibly inspire confidence and solidarity in our soldiers in these, most trying times, if we cannot find it between each other?"

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
Alan winced and covered his ears as Regideus rocked the walls with his booming voice.  His suit was likewise complaining.

-- Creature Entry: Regideus.
-- Additional notes: Capable of speech at 110+ decibels.  Recommend ear protection if in vicinity for extended periods of time.

"Regideus, might I recommend being wary of everyone's hearing?  Deafening the troops while trying to inspire confidence in them might have the opposite effect."

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:59 PM »
Maurice sighed, slumping into the chair. "Sorry guys, it's just that mind control really skeeves me out. Had to dethrone this evil wizard ursurper who was brainwashing people to serve him. Not important now."

He pointed to the map again. "The situation looks pretty grim to the south. I'd like to head up to the arena to get some money to hire-

The sword clattered in its sheath to draw everyone's attention.
"A knight must fight his own ba- hm. I suppose that advice does not work here. Never mind, forget I spoke. Perhaps dealing with sellswords could be justified for now."