Author Topic: Poke-Center (OOC Discussion)  (Read 214560 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Pre-Campaign Discussion
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »
And Rabbit's done. Check him over and see if there's anything you like / dislike / pineapples.

I said d20 Modern weapons were ok, not everything in d20 future.

Seems like Garryl never got around to finishing his MaI weapons table, so if you want energy weapons please use this. You can also pick any other magipunk items from that thread that you want.

To the energy guns, I'll be adding the option of durable energy crystals. They count as normal ranged attacks, not ranged touch attacks, but are good for 50 shots before reloading instead of just 1.

Er, Magipunk guns have 20 shot clips crystals, not single shot. Unless you're changing them for this game, of course.
Seems like I misread it. Ok, then normal ccrystals are worth 20 shots of touch shots, but you can get  "base crystals" at 1/100th the cost that last as long but count as normal attacks instead.
oslecamo, take a look through Jeremy's sheet and let me know what you think.

Edit: The Ivysaur has some its grapple bonus wrong.  I also adjusted the save DC of its Insanity Mist poison to 10+1/2 hd + con mod as normal, let me know if you want me to put it at the static dc.  Furthermore for some reason it is listed as being able to make iterative slam attacks (as is venusaur).  Fixing that.  Also, can I just take out the part of constrict mentioning creature size? 

Edit edit: Adding relevant type information to pokemon stat blocks.  Elementals are normally not subject to flanking, but I assume that Ponytas are correct?
Will take a closer look at your sheet later, but for now:
-Yes, you can take the constrict limitation on size, and ok, I'll let Poison Powder have a scaling DC, but I'll be applying the limitation that it can be stoped simply by holding your breath when close (poison rules say inhaled ones can't be stoped simply by holding your breath, but since it's a passive ability of the ivysaur with a DC that starts and scales faster than most other things out there, screw that, it needs an easy counter).
-I'll let it remain immune to flanking. You really don't want to get behind a flaming horse's hooves.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 05:51:28 AM »
Poison Powder already says you can hold your breath to not be poisoned, you're in luck.     :)

I await your review of the sheet before messing with anything else.  Well, anything except for the fluff.  I need something better than just writing that he is 12.   :lmao

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2012, 09:51:15 AM »
And Rabbit's done. Check him over and see if there's anything you like / dislike / pineapples.

I said d20 Modern weapons were ok, not everything in d20 future.

That's why my original question was for d20 modern and future. Though, as requested, the items will be removed.

Laser pistols and rifles appear in the Dungeon Master's guide under Futuristic weaponry, but at this point I'm willing to just say that all of Rabbit's cooler future gear broke beyond repair and anything that couldn't feasibly break was just burned beyond redemption in the crash. Recalculating Rabbit's gear based on such. Building commences.

Edit: The build is complete.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:09:38 AM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »
I await your review of the sheet before messing with anything else.

Everything looks fine, except Ponyta can't take Ability Focus (Fire), just as caster can't take Ability Focus (Spells). You'll have to improve each SLA individually.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »

Everything looks fine, except Ponyta can't take Ability Focus (Fire), just as caster can't take Ability Focus (Spells). You'll have to improve each SLA individually.

Err...look at Ponyta again.  It has an ability called Fire.  Fire lights people on fire when Ponyta his them.  Under Fire is a completely separate and not related ability called Spell Like Abilities.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
Also, stupid question, but:
You are using the variant Diplomacy rules everyone else does right? (I know you do in your other campaign, but you haven't said for here.)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
For the curious, what are said Variant Diplomacy rules?

Also, as an update since editing posts doesn't notify: I've removed the d20 Future equipment.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »
Link. A lot of DM's use this, the reasons why are all in the article. If you just want to know what it is, just skip to the headline "The Big Reveal". The rest is all justification for the rules change. Which it hardly needs.

I'm mostly curious because he said there would be a lot of times wherein conversation would have a greater place than combat. While this would be mostly roll-play, I am curious about this for when the dice must roll though.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
Edit: The build is complete.

Looking good now. Would you mind telling me what cost did you end up for the laser pistol/clips since the modern srd d20 doesn't have the conversion tables? And since we're at it would you mind converting the other futuristic and modern weapons in the DMG? It would be useful to me.

Err...look at Ponyta again.  It has an ability called Fire.  Fire lights people on fire when Ponyta his them.  Under Fire is a completely separate and not related ability called Spell Like Abilities.
:banghead

Then everything looks fine with your current sheet.

Link. A lot of DM's use this, the reasons why are all in the article. If you just want to know what it is, just skip to the headline "The Big Reveal". The rest is all justification for the rules change. Which it hardly needs.

I'm mostly curious because he said there would be a lot of times wherein conversation would have a greater place than combat. While this would be mostly roll-play, I am curious about this for when the dice must roll though.
Yes, those are the variant rules we'll be using as the base diplomacy rules are borked.

Your sucess/failure at conversation will be based both in your cha-based skills and also whatever arguments you can come up with. Just rolling a bluff check won't do, you'll need some actual lie to go with it for example. In a diplomacy exchange, you'll need to present actual offers and demands.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
Link

Appreciated but useless while I'm here at work. Firewalls and such.

[quote author=oslecamo link=topic=3992.msg55638#msg55638 date=133
Looking good now. Would you mind telling me what cost did you end up for the laser pistol/clips since the modern srd d20 doesn't have the conversion tables? And since we're at it would you mind converting the other futuristic and modern weapons in the DMG? It would be useful to me.
[/quote]

But if I tell you then the secret's out.

The Modern D20 SRD won't have it since the table is in the Future book (And before anyone jumps to correct me, no, I didn't look at the SRD for D20 Modern since work's firewalls have about 90% of those sites blocked). There's a table near the back of the d20 Future book that directly converts Purchase DC's to Monetary value. I looked up Laser Pistol and found the Wealth DC roll to purchase it, then converted it.
I'll see when I can get the moment to convert the others.
Link to my homebrews

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
Appreciated but useless while I'm here at work. Firewalls and such.

The relevant Bit:

(click to show/hide)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »

The relevant Bit:

Oh, so it's ROLEPLAYING? *gasp*
Link to my homebrews

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »

Thus why:
A lot of DM's use this, the reasons why are all in the article. If you just want to know what it is, just skip to the headline "The Big Reveal". The rest is all justification for the rules change. Which it hardly needs.

EDIT: Which brings me to another question about skills (though I don't think this question is one that'll actually come up in this group, I'll ask just to be safe.): Do you roll Open Lock into Disable Device too?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:09:20 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »

Thus why:
A lot of DM's use this, the reasons why are all in the article. If you just want to know what it is, just skip to the headline "The Big Reveal". The rest is all justification for the rules change. Which it hardly needs.

Oh indeed. See, what you said now makes more sense now that I've read it. Though, you could go one step further and eliminate the die roll completely with sufficient role playing.

I had someone at the table of mine once ask "Look, is there a die roll I can make to just get the information I want?" and it really put a downer on the whole session. People who weren't involved in the scene felt kinda shocked, really. So to me, falling back on a die roll when Role playing can be used instead for flavor or whatever is something of a wall breaker. Imagine walking into an auction house with your trusty d20, walking over to the auction master, rolling it, and saying to him "I just won the auction. Die says so."

See how far that gets you :)
Link to my homebrews

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2012, 04:14:52 PM »
EDIT: Which brings me to another question about skills (though I don't think this question is one that'll actually come up in this group, I'll ask just to be safe.): Do you roll Open Lock into Disable Device too?

No. Lock creation has evolved into its own refined art after millenia of chest and special door buildings that could only be opened by special keys.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
Oh indeed. See, what you said now makes more sense now that I've read it. Though, you could go one step further and eliminate the die roll completely with sufficient role playing.

I had someone at the table of mine once ask "Look, is there a die roll I can make to just get the information I want?" and it really put a downer on the whole session. People who weren't involved in the scene felt kinda shocked, really. So to me, falling back on a die roll when Role playing can be used instead for flavor or whatever is something of a wall breaker. Imagine walking into an auction house with your trusty d20, walking over to the auction master, rolling it, and saying to him "I just won the auction. Die says so."

See how far that gets you :)

I disagree. That way leads to metagaming, in both directions. There are things the player knows that the character doesn't, and vice-versa. Sometimes you need those skill scores on your sheet to remind you of this. I have a player right now with a rogue with an amazing bluff score, but the players lies are usually one or two lines off of what his character would have said. Basically, he quite often takes the lie a sentence or two past where he should have just let the NPC's imagination do the rest of the lying for him. Then he gets a 31 on the die roll for it. It isn't right for me to penalize the character's skills just because the player can't match that skill-score.

But I do make the player set up what the basics of the bluff are. d20 w/o roll-play is bad; roll-play without roll-ing can be bad too.

but any-who: [/offtopic] [/awake] [nightynight]
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »
Also, some people are just bad at doing the charisma stuff.  I've seen people who have no idea what to say with skill points in social skills while the player who knows exactly what they want to say has no points in any social skills whatsoever.

oslecamo, is there anything specific you're wanting out of my character fluff?  Also, what's the most appropriate way for a 12 year old to get from Earth (pokemon central) to wherever we're starting (I can't remember right now)?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »
Also, some people are just bad at doing the charisma stuff.  I've seen people who have no idea what to say with skill points in social skills while the player who knows exactly what they want to say has no points in any social skills whatsoever.

oslecamo, is there anything specific you're wanting out of my character fluff?  Also, what's the most appropriate way for a 12 year old to get from Earth (pokemon central) to wherever we're starting (I can't remember right now)?

Warp Tile mishap? Everyone knows that Silph Co.'s quality control has plummeted after they fought off Team Rocket's attempt at a "merger".

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
I've also seen druid players who tought their best combat strategy was firing heavy crossbows at level 6, along with fighter players geting every bonus possible to shred most of the enemies.

-How did you become a pokemonmaster?
-How did you get each of your pokemons?
-Make up stuff to how you got there. Fluff still in construction, so hell why not, you randomly got there with a malfuctioning teleporter back at Earth.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »

An encounter with a legendary pokemon? Oh oh I know...

You were out and about, catching Pokemon, and having the time of your life. You were riding your bike and having fun with your Whatever'chu when you hit a rock in the road, fell off your bike, and hit your head.

When you woke up, you were in a strange new place. Your Whatever'chu was right there with you, though, so it was going to be okay. Everyone looked weird, or funny, or downright scary but you and your Whatever'chu were going to have adventures, make new friends, and train to be the very best!

I've also seen druid players who tought their best combat strategy was firing heavy crossbows at level 6, along with fighter players geting every bonus possible to shred most of the enemies.

That could just be powergamers looking to powergame because druids have the bonuses they want, and they just ignore the story behind it. I feel that players that immediately jump to the dice to resolve their problems are missing out on something, but that's just how I feel. Roleplaying leading to metagaming just means your players need to police what they do and do not know in character better. If your players can't sort out what they know and don't know, that's not the fault of the system. If you think I'm wrong, or disagree... meh. ;)

Sable I use the same Diplo rules in Magipunk.

Then that means less rules for me to learn. Goodie. I hate learning new things over and over again :) :)

Oh, and Oslecamo, this is for you:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:21:30 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews