Author Topic: Chapter I: Legend of Griselda-Pirates Awakening  (Read 164381 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter I: Legend of Griselda-Pirates Awakening
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
Pha had planned to do just that.
From Zax's shot at the ship she evaluated that she could reach it with one strong flight but would probably only see it pass her by then, so she elected to wait for it to pass her by instead.

She flew toward the ship, going low just above the waves as she put herself in its trajectory, waiting for it to ram straight into her.
The device in hand, she waited. Hopefully the sudden stop of their vessel would destabilize a few pirates and send them overboard.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
Kong looked around excitedly, but could find no more squishies to test his mettle against. And he had only really taken the one cut? Not a day of glory, but perhaps some good was done. He looked back and forth, trying to find a willing foe, and could not. Wasn't much of a point in killing something that was trying to get away. What good was that? Disgruntled, he finally pointed to the ship still out, and shouted over the explosion to Rabbit. "Attack?"

(click to show/hide)
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2012, 01:21:41 AM »
Kurt is hurt badly, but keeps reminding himself that hero's don't give up.
"I'll have to play it very safe from here" he thinks, feeling his form weakened to such an extent that he can almost hear his bodies wavering, at the same rapid rate that his 'blinking' has become.
Thinking that higher is better, for safety, and that he can drop the bombs on the ship from on high. He wiggles his arms as much as possible, moving as close as he can to the ship, but more of his movement being directed to picking up altitude.

(click to show/hide)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »
Kurt's transphasic condition concerned Rabbit, but brought up a moral dilemma. His training as a Space Pirate told him to let Kurt fend for himself, and that his death on the field was glorious... and would mean one less to contend with when it came to promotions, while his training at the Galactic Federation taught that all life was worth mercy, especially when that same mercy was shown to him when he used the ancient and oft-overlooked tactic of 'surrender'. Though, the most direct way to assist him now, was to end this conflict decisively.

"Command issuance. De-render Module A43, sliprender Module UE87. Mount 7."

Command received. Module A43 Alternate Form Module discontinued. Mounting Module UE87 Bioenergy Transferral Module. Establishing connections at primary mount source [Utility] mount. Advisory! Technology and Modules based on lifeform "Metroid" are prohibited in sanctioned space. Use of this module constitutes a Class II inquiry.

Portions of Rabbit's power armor around his torso disconnected, the blue lines that traveled across them like miniature roadways stopped glowing. Once the disconnect was complete, other portions of his armor along his arms started to glow and move to establish connections. When all was said and done, a new symbol appeared on each arm: Three red dots arranged in a triangle

Since he grew tired of his current powersuit's OS informing him of what a criminal he was by installing an untested and unsanctioned module in potential GF space, he switched his suit's OS to something more lenient.. that, and Galactic Common was becoming a pain to read as opposed to his native tongue.

Suit Wearer advised: Power suit emergency reserves insufficient for subsequent sliprenders. Sufficient energy in: 0:07:59:57
Experimental Metroid-Based Bioenergy Transfer Module sliprendered and active.

Glory to High Command!

He'd never get used to reading that...

He turned to Kong, and decided he'd rather have the simian THERE and ready to assault rather then wait to bring the fight.

Disgruntled, he finally pointed to the ship still out, and shouted over the explosion to Rabbit. "Attack?"

"The enemy's primary craft will be immobilized soon. Once it is, we can begin the full assault after removing their option to flee." he said. A common Space Pirate tactic was to disable the engines of their victim's craft, so that escape was impossible. A demoralizing tactic indeed, and one he hoped would have the same effect on these ... Water Pirates. "Begin the charge." he said, to what he expected would be Kong's full toothy grin as he started to walk towards the soon-to-be disabled Pirate craft. He stopped before a flaming bombard, by the bodies of fellow sentients, and turned to face the guards and elves that fought with them. A series of plagiarized inspirational speeches were queued up by the suit's OS, but he disregarded them. Whatever inspirational words were to be said would come from the Field Commander of this operation. He was simply content for the moment to stand by the burning bombard and look inspiring.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:03:57 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2012, 01:15:40 PM »
Jeremy looks around and sighs in relief seeing that there aren't any pirates near him anymore.  He then turns to his plant-lizard.  "Good job Ivysaur!  You did great, I'm proud of you!  There are more pirates out there though, and we need Bayleef's leaf throwing.  Ivysaur return!"

He then looks at all of the others around him: militia, elves, and the other stranger friends that he has made.  "Good job everybody!  We can do this!"  He looks somewhat tired as his head wound continues to ooze.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
Kong did not disappoint, flinging himself into the air and flying quickly toward the pirate ship.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Zax's first arrow grazes the large figure on the boat. The second projectile seems to hit him straight on! The large figure cowers for a moment, but then goes almost instantly back to standing tall and waving his weapon.

Jeremy's speech seems to bring some faint smiles around him, but the militia and guard's attention end up going for Rabbit standing tall in front of the burning battery. The party members that can fly take off to meet the aproaching pirate ship.

Help the wounded! Drag them out of that fire! And get that bombard loaded faster!-orders the captain, pointing to the burning southern battery.

Some militia and guard obey, dragging back the heavily burned corpses (are they still breathing? Hard to tell in the midst of action).  The elves however take careful aim and loose an arrow each towards the large figure, clearly trying to keep up with Zax. Three are lost to the sea or the ship's planks, one seems to hit the large figure straight on as well. Except this time he doesn't react at all, as if unharmed.

As the pirate ship closes in fast, you can finally see Zax's newest target. A large, heavily muscled humanoid with dark orange skin with an head resembling a bulldog and wearing a worn out bright red tricorn hat. Under its chin, a spiked beard that looks as if made of metal, over a necklace of human bones. On his clawed hands, a sawtoothed glaive with an emerald on its tip, his body partially covered by black leather strips and blue ragged pants. On his back half a dozen of harpoons with ropes tied to his leather strips. On his forearm, Zax's arrow, seeming more like a toothpick compared to the monster's powerful bulk. Behind him, at least two dozen pirates much like the ones you faced so far, but this ones waving halberds, battleaxes at their belts and javelins at their backs, manning the remaining catapult and sails. They all scream and grunt togheter as they get aproach the docks. Their clear leader laughs as he sees Pha fly directly towards the ship.

And then the great fairy activates Rabbit's Singularity in a Bottle just as the ship is about to ram over her. A purple flash and chains of dark energy spread surround the wooden planks and dive into the sea into a fraction of second. The ship comes to an halt almost instantly, projecting several of the pirates screaming into the water, the others barely holding on by holding to nearby ropes or whatever's at hand.

Their commander himself seems quite suprised, but then quickly recovers and starts grunting orders:

What the...Damned Fey trickery-Grof-Just a minor setback. Those already in the water, keep going-Grof!-I'll gut you myself if you try to come back into this ship whitout a proper trophy. And you scum, get that catapult firing faster-Grof! They still have one bombard active, we're all dead meat if we stay here like this! The rest of you lousy lots, make me a long boarding plank now! We'll get to those pink-skins much faster if we can get over the rest of this sea-Gronf!

The pirates instantly spring to action, clearly intimidated by their commander. The ones that had been thrown off advance towards the ice, discarding their halberds and drawing their battleaxes as they quickly climb up. Only for the thin layer to crush under their feet just as they try to stand up, making them fall back on the water. Regardless they press on relentless, two of them managing to get a good holding on the ticker ice ahead. The ones in the catapult keep reloading as fast as they can, while the others hurry around the ship's deck gathering wooden barrels, loose planks and rope.

Gronf-Now let's see if I can catch myself a faery...

The pirate commander aproaches the deck's edge and pulls one of the harpoons on his back before flinging it towards Pha at point black. The steel pierces her fey skin and armor and latches into her icy flesh, and the commader laughs cruelly as he pulls back the trailing rope to check if it's secured.

Situation
(click to show/hide)

Crunch
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:54:51 PM by oslecamo »

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
"Oh, no!" Kurt thought, "More of them, lots more. And these ones look even more dangerous."
Kurt would have exclaimed if he hadn't been trying to keep in so much air right then.
For all of hit usual lack of wits though, he had no trouble with one thought: Javelins were easier to throw far than Axes, he needed to be even more careful with these baddies.
But he had another too: He had planed to drop explosives on them already, and now they were standing on ice, Kurt hoped that if the bomb didn't incapacitate the bad men, then hopefully they'd at least be dropped through the ice, slowing their advance further by forcing them to keep having to climb back up onto the slippery surface.

Having noticed the strength of the other heros on the field, he figured that the bad guys to the south of him would quickly fall to the less heroic of the group, those that most readily listened to the loud-talky-man, the big furry thing would go toward the bigger fight, if the cold creature even needed the help, and the others would continue to pick off targets as they had been.
Kurt knew that he was in that last group, and noticed that there was only one baddie close enough to him for him to threaten, or that would threaten him.

Putting his thought to action, Kurt flew up and over the head of the nearby pirate, drawing one of the Goron Bombs as he did so, and promptly dropped it on the brutes head.

(click to show/hide)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »
The number of pirates in this encounter was far greater then Rabbit's initial estimation. This called for a re-evaluation.

Orbital Helix-Class cannon offline / unresponsive. Sub-Orbital Genocide Rig offline / unresponsive. Stealth Commando assault unit offline / unresponsive.

Those weren't helpful re-evaluations. He almost felt the urge to switch back to the GF Suit OS. At least being called a war criminal was something he was (somewhat) used to.

"Kong!" he called out to the gravity-defiant simian. "Disable their primary weapon, recover Phe Eris, and return. Combat on their environment is disadvantageous." Then he made his move.

He walked calmly to the other end of the burning blockade, calm despite the chaos about him. Calm in the face of death, again. The soldiers here would need to know that calm, that strength. These may be their final hours. They would face them with dignity, and die heroes.

A fate he chose to avoid. He decided to use the backdrop of the flames to his advantage.

"Every Pirate down is another youngling who can awaken to the dawn without nightmares of terror from the sea." he said above the chaos, to any soldier and elf that could hear him. He gave a nod towards Jeremy... "Every Pirate down is another night a youngling can look at the stars in wonder. "

With a practiced motion, he leveled his energy weapon towards one of the advancing pirates. Hardly an optimal shot, but any shot would work. With practice, he squeezed the trigger, sending a chunk of high-energy particles screaming through the air towards their target.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:39:28 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
Zax grits his teeth and moves out from behind the barrier, heading toward the water to try and get a better shot at the leader.  He stops and takes a breath, sighting carefully, and looses a single shaft, which catches a stray breeze and wobbles in the air.  Zax grimaces in disgust at the poor shot.

(click to show/hide)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »
The pointy hooked stick sticking out of her torso was quite noticeably uncomfortable.
In fact, she didn't remember ever feeling that level of discomfort ever before. Pain was no joke.

She wasn't going to let that slip and just stick out her tongue. There would be a reckoning!
The big monkey was ...flying... closer and so it seemed that her valiant one fairy standing status wouldn't last for long. Not to say that she wasn't overjoyed to have some help at the front line, quite the contrary.

She ascended slightly and looked up at her offender with a stare so crushing it probably only ever felt the like from its disappointed momma.
Her mystical voice only drew out the soul further.
"You caught a cold, pigshit, and it'll kill ya."

She froze the air around her to form spiky ice shard that whirled around into a small storm, stabbing and burning with cold all the orcs around her, along with damaging their ship slightly, their siege contraption and, if she was lucky, one or more of their explosive shells. That fat guy *was* prompting its men to reload it, if she had heard it right.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2012, 03:01:56 AM »
Kong roared down onto the deck just as the frosty fairy threw up a fantastic ice show. Still, that was a harpoon - a weapon which Kong was slightly familiar with, fighting warriors on the river. The fairy took priority, and the big pirate looked like a promising foe!

Screaming down out of the sky, the mad ape took ahold of the mast and gave a roar. Surveying the group, he hoped his presence might distract the pirates from the cold one.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »
The pirate manages to jump away just in time as Kurt's bomb falls from the sky, but he can't escape the ice breaking under him from the explosion and geting wet again.

Rabbit's shot basically disingtregates a good chunk of the arm flesh on the pirate he was aiming  at, but the orc still stands. Zax just seems to down in his luck.

Despite Pha only rising a little, it's still enough of a gap for the pirate commander to trust his glaive at her. As the serrated blade bites her flesh, a flash of disruptive energy resonates between them with the weapon as a link. Some blood drips from the pirate's own hand, while Pha is left severly hurt, the wound running deep in her body, hurting quite a lot. But not enough to stop her. Pha's next words are filled with ancient power. And cold threat. The commander suddenly cowers, aparting his gaze from the faery and starting to tremble uncontrolably.

Then Pha unleashes her actual attack, slashing and freezing at whatever's in her reach. One pirate in the ship goes down, one in the sea is left just trying to keep himself afloat, the others aren't much better. Except for the commander. Altough he gets some bruises, aparently he has enough body fat to shrugg off that amount of cold. The ship planks and catapult themselves prove of sturdy quality and don't seem like they'll break anytime soon.

Kong then aproaches and dives over Pha's vortex,  grabbing into the ship's mast as he draws a bomb and dares the pirates to attack him. From the looks on their faces, they don't seem like they'll need much motivation.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:09:43 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
Jeremy sidesteps to the other end of his barricade and resummons Bayleef who then barrages the nearest orc with razor sharp leaves.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »
The pokemon attacks slice right trough the wounded pirate, turning him in basically in a pile of sliced meat. That still seems to be alive, but won't be troubling you in the near future.

Bombard, aim at the pirate's catapult! We destroy it and they're no longer a threat! Those not caring for the wounded, take down any pirates still trying to aproach!-orders the captain as he himself looses an arrow that hits one of the pirates on the water.

The hylian guard obeys, and the elves add their fire, altough one gets too greedy trying to aim the pirate commander, ending up just wasting too arrows that get stuck in the ship planks. Another pirate goes down and the remaining get some arrows stuck in their bodies but keep advancing.

Advacing trough the ticker ice, the two front pirates pull each a javelin from their backs. One takes aim at Kurt and flings it, hiting his target, and the weakened kirby fall in the water below. The other throws his weapon at Bayleef, but it bounces off the pokemon's tick skin. More pirates aproach behind those two.

The bombard finishes recharging and fires, smashing part of the pirate's catapult! But not enough to colapse it yet. The nearby orcs work frenetically seeking to make it fire. One seems to actually know what he's doing while pulling the firing arm ropes down, the other two are basically just kicking random parts of the machine in hope it works, while Pha's vortex still rages around them.

Get out of our ship you dirty monkey!
-screams one of the ship pirates as he throws a javelin towards Kong on the mast. He dodges it easily, but when the remaining pirates start  flinging more javelins and insults with clear anger, he can't stop himself from geting impaled by several pieces of wood. Thankfully Kong's physique is tough enough to keep him holding into the mast as Pha's vortex subsides.

"Ah... I-I-'m not afraid of any of y-you"-lets out of the commander, as he seems to stop his body trembling. Most of it at least, as the grip on his glaive is clearly less confident than moments before.

In the middle of battle, the pirate staggered by Pha discretly tries to swim away from any of the combatants.

Situation

(click to show/hide)

Crunch
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:23:21 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
From his slight height, Kong weighed his options. Bomb, or bat? With the bomb, he would definitely get the attention of the smaller pirates. But the fairy really needed his help. He had to draw the big pirate to him, or the cold one would be in trouble soon. So he decided he knew what had to be done.

He clutched the bat tightly, his bomb still tight in his grasp; he could use that later, of he needed. He dove down upon the larger pirate, laughing as he did, not caring about what the smaller pirates thought. "FAIRY, TAKE OUT THE SMALLER ONES," he bellowed as he came crashing down with a might maneuver known as a Baboon Blast! Though as the Javelin's struck, he was not sure he was going to do much more than save the fairy. This could be bad...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:49:54 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »
That last blow now was something.
A semisolid purple sheen oozed out of her wound and, infuriated by the intense pain and the sight of her damaged state, wailed her fury with enough power to chill the blood of all whom wished her ill.

She wasn't getting any better either. After confirming that her assailant had indeed been overwhelmed by her presence, she would get a better look at her situation. At least she was too close now for it to attack her well with that nasty glaive of his. She knew she could still do quite a number on the pirates, even weakened as she was, but she also felt she wouldn't last and that it might cost her a return of her essence to the great source, with no idea of how long it would seal her.

Looking over the ship, she saw the big monkey on the mast, her best hope as things were. She outstretch her hand toward it.
"Great flying ape, let's get some distance. Take me away!"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
As the sentient mass of protomatter fell into the cold water, Rabbit reflected for a moment. Songs would be sung, perhaps a vengeance raid would be planned, but the hardest part of those events would be finding a word that rhymed with Protomatter.

Oh well, that was a battlehymnest's job, not his. At the moment there was a lull in the combat, and while the Protomass was too far out to assist readily, the child beastmaster wasn't. Rabbit hunched down and made his way to the child's location, and hunkered down next to him.

Subject: Jeremy
Species: Unknown <Presume Local>
Lifecycle Depleted: Unknown <Presume Youngling>
Biodiagnosis: Unknown <Presume Terminal>

Cardiac Cycle: Heightened <Presume Agitated>
Pulmonary Cycle: Heightened <Presume Agitated>
Vascular Pressure: Diminished
Unable to Connect to advanced bioscanner visor equipment

Initiating Bioenergy Transfer Sequence. Displaying High Command Approved Pediatric Distraction Script 45.C

A friendly green dot appeared on the faceplace of Rabbit's helmet. "Hello Jeremy. That looks like a nasty cut you have there." Rabbit started. "Do you see the green light on my helmet? I need you to look at that for a moment so I can see how bad that cut is. It won't hurt for a moment." He paused. Pirates never kept their promises.

"I promise."

Rabbit would expertly use this distraction to place his armored hand on the child's shoulder, near his neck. Upon contact, the three dots that made up the aforementioned symbol would briefly flash, before slowly the red light filling them emptied from the top, as though being poured out. Though Jeremy couldn't see it, Rabbit's veins were almost ready to burst under the armor as the transfer took place.

The process took less then a few seconds, during which time Jeremy felt no pain. In fact, he probably felt better then before. Rabbit would need a moment to catch his breath.

Muscular atrophy and degeneration detected. Symptoms are in line with expected side effects of Energy Transfer Module Series. Should side effects not concurrent with expectations be experienced, you are not authorized to file a complaint with Science Division or High Command. Endure said side effects to grow stronger. Through strength, we achieve victory, and through victory, we achieve dominance. Glory to High Command!

Rabbit took this moment to catch his breath. To say his power suit was full of itself would be ironic.

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
Seeing the marshmallow fall, Zax swears vociferously.  These folk might have been strangers before, but they'd fought with him in battle, which made them his troop-mates.  He couldn't let one of them go down without trying to help.

Changing weapons mid-stride in the trademark Hylian style, Zax draws his sword and shield, then unfurls his wings and launches into the air, making a beeline for the area where Kurt went down.  He charges sword-first towards one of the pirates.

(click to show/hide)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
Taking his eyes off of his Bayleef, Jeremy looks up at Rabbit trustingly.  He focuses on the green light as instructed, and as he feels his strength returning Jeremy smiles.  He then gives Rabbit a thumbs up.  "I feel great, thanks!  I can heal my Pokémon, but I can't heal myself.  If you get tired, let me know.  Bayleef can fix that right up!" 

He then turns his attention back to the combat. 

Peeking around the corner of his barricade, Jeremy pulls out the large metal ball that serves as his weapon.  He whispers to himself, "You can do it!" and then throws it an orc that is most likely much too far away for Jeremy to actually be able to hit.

Bayleef sees Jeremy's attack and slowly moves halfway across the ice section she is on in order to throw a leaf at said orc.

(click to show/hide)