Author Topic: Fun Finds the 2nd Party Edition  (Read 115577 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds the 2nd Party Edition
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
So if someone else in the world used a Conductive weapon this round, you're SOL? That doesn't seem right.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »
lol that's not quite what I'm saying, but yes if you go into stupid RAW that is exactly what it says.

Take Unbeliever mention of Brutal Surge.
Effect: Once per day, upon a successful melee attack, the brutal surge weapon can initiate a bull rush attempt in addition to dealing its normal damage.
And my mention of Blurstrike
The first attack made with a blurstrike weapon each round is made as if the target were flat-footed.
And let's grab one more since I mentioned the figurines.
Ebony Fly: When animated, an ebony fly is the size of a pony and has all the statistics of a hippogriff but can make no attacks. The item can be used three times per week for up to 12 hours per use.
Both of these refer to the enhanced weapon (or this item).

Conductive went for "This weapon special ability can only be used once per round." - Again, not really intimate with Pathfinder here - which better matches Class Features, Feats and Spells.
(click to show/hide)
So Spells are a no go, Feats/PrCs stick to person-using-it, Items refer to them selves, and you have two oddball PrCs that follow the same lol wording but contain enough context for you to be able to understand them properly.

Now turn to Conductive. Yeah it has some RAWtarded rules, but it's clearly not labeled like a typical Magic item is. It's wording is closer to that of other Special Abilities such as Class Features, Feats, Skill Tricks, and Spells through it lacks the possessive indication. But again, I am not speaking from a Pathfinder view. Literal and D&D examples is what I'm going by, both would play a back role if you could find something that proved Pathfinder's intent.

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2014, 01:00:27 AM »
Heh and my contribution comes from...well Ravenloft because thats what I have been dabbling in out of boredom of late.

Laborious Training [General]
Your selfless dedication to study and the long hours you have spent training for your craft have given you an increased capacity for learning. Prerequisites: Int 13, Knowledge (any one) 5 ranks.

Benefit: Your maximum rank in any Intelligence- based skill equals 5 + your character level. Normal: A character’s maximum rank in any skill equals 3 + character level.

From Ravenloft Legacy of the Blood pg 92

Bringing this back up because I realized that using this feat a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold could get Epic Spellcasting before Epic Levels without the rather shady psiref'd inspire greatness, which is hilariously broken.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
... or a small pile of early qualifying for PrCs , like Illithid Savant.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
Obstinate Soul from Dark Sun is another of the old favorite "advances old class features" classes. Page 27 of the prestige class appendix. Pretty easy prereqs too.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »
Per the credits in the Dark Sun 3 PDF, this should go in the "normal" fun finds, as its 1st party. :P

I'm just messing with you, either is fine :)

its in the PrCs? I'll check it out

there it is... Its in the appendix 2 pdf
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:40:24 PM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
The 3.0 monster manual... (note the use of the beast and shapechanger types)... Also the text assumes all animals have been awakened.

They also look a little high (ogre is ECL 8?) when compared against real 3.5 ECLs. Take with liberal dose of salt.
Awakened bat = 2HD Diminutive creature with a fly speed, blindsight 120ft and -2 LA. Sounds good.
I don't see the these as after an awakening spell...

And yes the LA seems about +1 higher than in 3.5. This doesn't surprise me considering dragon magazines have twice the underpowered stuff rate to normal books.

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
I don't see the these as after an awakening spell...

And yes the LA seems about +1 higher than in 3.5. This doesn't surprise me considering dragon magazines have twice the underpowered stuff rate to normal books.
Page 53 of the text, second to last paragraph (emphasis added):
Many creatures have a third entry marked Int. That's because a low Intelligence can be a problem for a PC. That note does not appear for animals because the ECL assumes they've been awakened.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »
here are some of those feats i mentioned, plus some others

Heart of Suitengu (Kiho) [The Hidden Emperor (pg 16)]
   Prerequisites: 1 level of monk, inkyo, or shugenja, Void Use.
   Benefit: Once per day, by taking 1 hour to meditate and spending a Void Point, you may select one class feature that has a limited number of uses per day (other than spells and spell use); your number of uses refreshes as though you had spent a complete day of rest.
.... wow!

more feats
(click to show/hide)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
Sounds like more goodies to try to stuff into
Nytemare's Monk who couldn't decide build.

If the standard Martial Monk cheese was
actually on the table, there'd need to be a
hash-out of which overqualified fighter feats
would open up interesting martial arts stuff.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
Sounds like more goodies to try to stuff into
Nytemare's Monk who couldn't decide build.

If the standard Martial Monk cheese was
actually on the table, there'd need to be a
hash-out of which overqualified fighter feats
would open up interesting martial arts stuff.

I hate you so much right now. That damn build is going to be the death of me. It's the poster child for feature creep, since every time I think it's done someone posts more.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
*grins* that's far from all the monk related feats, that's just the best/better ones. There are a lot that are really bad, even a couple total crap feats.

the bad ones are mostly "you gain ~ +1 or +2 to attacks when x happens' yet require you to be like 15th level to get the feat.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:12:02 PM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »
The Great Fervor feat, located right above Greyhawk Method in Dragon 315 page 53 is actually quite a nicely balanced feat, giving you the ability to reroll a failed saving throw while adding your wisdom modifier to it once per day.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »
*grins* that's far from all the monk related feats, that's just the best/better ones. There are a lot that are really bad, even a couple total crap feats.

the bad ones are mostly "you gain ~ +1 or +2 to attacks when x happens' yet require you to be like 15th level to get the feat.

Wait, if those are just feats, then screw that. The build's goal was to activate all the martial arts.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 07:34:14 AM »
      The Shadow Dragon (Shadowlands Technique) [Way of the Samurai (pg 86)]
   The essence of corruption that permeates your being taints everything that you touch, spreading quickly to the bodies of those you kill.
   Prerequisites: Taint modifier +8 or higher.
   Benefit: At the end of a combat round, you may choose to reanimate any creature you killed during that round exactly as the spell animate dead as cast by a 16th level sorcerer.
This is something to build a challenge out of.

You can control four Fourteen-Headed Hydras at level one.
But how do you kill the first one?

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »
Look at Improvised Trip Attack. Now look at Titan Bloodline. Now start throwing warhammers.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2014, 03:43:09 AM »
Quote from: Void Use from Rokugan Campaign Setting
Special: Void Use may be selected in lieu of an Ancestor feat. Unlike other Ancestor feats, it may also be taken by those who do not hail from the Great Clans and may be taken after first level. If taken at first level, you may choose an Ancestor feat as well.

does this mean that taking the Void Use feat at 1st level grants you an additional feat? Seems that way to me.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2014, 04:46:39 AM »
Special: Void Use may be selected in lieu of an Ancestor feat. Unlike other Ancestor feats, it may also be taken by those who do not hail from the Great Clans and may be taken after first level. If taken at first level, you may choose an Ancestor feat as well.

does this mean that taking the Void Use feat at 1st level grants you an additional feat? Seems that way to me.
To me, it sounds like it bypasses the restriction of only taking one "Ancestor" feat at first level.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2014, 11:06:23 AM »
What's dumb is Void Use is a [Special, All Clans Technique] feat, not an Ancestor feat.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »

They do presume you are playing human in that setting.  It just means that despite basically being an ancestor feat, Void Use doesn't preclude you from also taking one.