Author Topic: Chapter 1 - The Sacred Elderberries of the Winter Lord  (Read 14589 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1 - The Sacred Elderberries of the Winter Lord
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »
Yuki doesn't flinch at the fey apparition, taking a step forward to stand between it and Fuyuko--but giving q deep bow nonetheless. The kami need all due respect.

"It is as she says; I am in many areas more skilled. But I have no goals of my own, consider me as you would any other sword, with Fuyuko as the wielder."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »
Mist says nothing at first, instead casually tosses the coin given to her by her patron into the air, the coin coming to a stop mid air halted by her pointing finger. She slowly moves her finger, sending the coin forward towards the avatar, where it is playfully intercepted by a pixie who giggles and brings to the avatar.

"My business is His business. I would join this Hunt of my own will and leave at its conclusion. With that the old debt will be settled."
Hmm.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 03:19:32 AM »
"Lobinha, initiate Yama 3rd degree. As per decree 72676BH, section 17716YF, page 1787GF, paragraph 4, line 81, I am here for payment of past winter fey services rendered from  archfey Lord Tserberon to the Ministry of What's Right and What's Wrong."

:"Anoitecer, luna rank Marshal from the Moon Court, here to assist Lobinha. To be more precise, Lobinha's paying with her body, since they really didn't give us anything else that may be of your interest, oh winter Lord Tserberon."

"Ahem, I stand ready to perform any services you require of me, and deepen the mutually profitable relationship between the Ministry of What's Right and What's Wrong and the Winter Court."

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 09:56:40 AM »
Zadkiel bows moderately, probably not bringing his head below the level of other people's normal standing.

1:5"I am here through the will of the divine. I do not wish to cause more disruption is strictly necessary. I intend to provide aid to your endeavours, as long as they do not endanger your (perhaps hypothetical) souls."

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 05:38:39 PM »
The minion looks at the three uninvited guests one after another.

"You have done well, Fuyuko. Finding and entreating one better suited is the wiser thing to do then to throw yourself away in reckless abandon. Now would you kindly stand up again?"

He takes a good look at the electrum coin, then turns to Mist with a sigh.

"We have no idea what interest the Mad One takes into this one or why, but the Lord of the Wintercourt honours his debts and tokens. Feel as welcome here as decorum makes it necessary for us."

Finally he turns his attention to Zadkiel.

"An errant angel walking this earth, tossed here and there like an autumn leaf by the four winds, now driven towards the same target as the Wild Hunt. What an interesting turn of events. We shall allow your presence, the idea of seeing a very celestial reduced to the bloodthirsty state of the hound is greatly amusing to us."

Only when he has confirmed to his own satisfaction that there are no unwelcome witnesses within earshot, he does turn to Lobinha, waving off Anoitecer's suggestion.

"As amusing as that idea may be, we don't waste the favours of the Ministry on such frivolous trifles. No, our plans are quite different.

One of our followers of the blood of the Wintercourt, a certain Zilla Gravesend, has petitioned us to bring the nobleman to justice who has once gravely dishonoured her, only to leave her behind with a a broken reputation and a bastard child of unconfirmed pedigree to fend for herself.

Normally we would just impale the wrongdoer on a glaive and make him watch how the hounds eat his entrails dangling from his sliced up belly, but as amusing as that always is it wouldn't help to restore Zilla's child to her rightful inheritance - and without that inheritance there wouldn't be the rich sacrifices promised to us. - Ah, I can see in your eyes that your interest is piqued. Don't worry about that part, we are certain that there will be enough riches to be handed out from this windfall even after accounting for what is due to His Lordship.

Now, where were we? Oh yes, we will need some helpers of a more subtle and suave bend to build up the proof for the claim. Although we are certain that the nobleman will fight it with both legal and extralegal means, giving you plenty of opportunity to turn the ground red."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 11:13:33 PM »
Yuki helps Fuyuko to her feet, then thinks over the task ahead. "Infiltration, observation, and persuasion. Find any diaries this man may keep, determine his habits, and learn his actions in advance. I believe I can do this, but pulling information out of his friends and staff is better left to others. It would be hard to think of someone more distinctive and out of place in this country."

The assassin's mouth splits into a grin: "Let him try to stop us all he likes. Greater houses have learned how much weapons and wealth pale before skill."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 12:31:42 AM »
: "Oh my, a defiled innocent maiden seeking righteous retribution, how exquisite.  This job is gonna be even better than I expected.”

: "A man who makes a girl cry and a parent renouncing their child are indeed Wrongs that should be made Rights. I’m quite glad the Winter Court is willing to pursue a peaceful settlement first, since every sinner slain before they repent is just another demon or devil we need to deal with later down the road. I’m ready to use force if absolutely necessary, but I’ll prioritize using non-lethal means of disabling any mortals interfering with this assignment. "

: "Indeed, sharp implement impaling and feeding their insides to the dogs may provide for a few moments of amusement, but it will be pretty shortlived. Whereas if we slowly strip this deceitful noble of all his power and titles and let him live in regret and shame, his agony shall provide a sublime entertainment for years if not decades. And that’s before taking in account all the sacrifices this innocent maiden shall provide us after her  honor is restored.”

: "Yes, and then after justice is done we’ll be able to cash in the sacrifices-Wait, sacrifices? Ahhh, I’ll worry about that later...” "

"Infiltration, observation, and persuasion. Find any diaries this man may keep, determine his habits, and learn his actions in advance. I believe I can do this, but pulling information out of his friends and staff is better left to others. It would be hard to think of someone more distinctive and out of place in this country."

: : “If you’ll take care of finding physical evidence and surveillance, I’ll gladly take care of interrogating any possible witnesses and collecting testimonies to support our case. I’ve been trained in 784 different ways of detecting lies and discerning the truth from what people say.” "

: "But you better not be thinking about pocketing any shinies you find during your infiltrations for yourself, is that clear? We’ll fairly share any valuables we run accross to promote an harmonious team spirit.”
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:39:30 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Arccosecant

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 02:24:41 AM »
"Subtlety of this sort is not one of my strengths, and I do hope that this matter can be resolved without bloodshed beyond what is strictly necessary. That said, I would be quite capable and willing to lend an extra blade, so to speak."

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2019, 03:22:33 AM »
1:6"Pretending that calling me a hunting-hound is anything more than an aesthetic change to to my task at hand would be foolish, and to object would be foolish pride."

1:7"I can see why I have been sent here. No doubt this situation is more complex than you present it. We will persevere."

1:8"My own skills are best lent to combat and rhetoric. While I am more subtle than one might expect, that does not make me an truely skilled infiltrator. However, of our little group, I suspect I am far and away the most durable."

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 09:37:59 AM »
"Ah, I see you are already thinking ahead. Wonderful, wonderful.

We'd suggest that you talk to Zilla first, she has a few leads. She lives in Old Chancel, Scarlet Women Lane 37. The east gate into it is as usually guarded by the Red Guard, so you should find a way in if you are as crafty as we hope you to be."

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:56:54 PM by Skyrock »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
"Doesn't sound hard, for those that can keep a low profile. And I bet the gate guards are paid more to keep out the Good and Righteous than some of us." Mist looks purposely looks at Yuki. As they had walked here, Mist had noticed her trained movements and had been unable to hear her footsteps.
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 11:24:56 PM »
Yuki, meanwhile, appeared to have somewhat misunderstood something through the language barrier... no matter that the woman could be considered more of an omniglot than most locals: "What is this Red that they guard...?"

The comment on her ability scarcely seemed acknowledged, aside from a slight smirk. If only she knew how far it went... no matter.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2019, 12:26:38 AM »
: "It's the 37 scarlet women that guard Old Chancel?"

: "Sigh, I'll explain it.

There's thrree law enforcement organizations in Chancel, the Red, White Guard and Blue Guards, it's easy to tell who's who because they dress by those colors, such imagination.

The Scarlet Guard duties include watching over the Old Chancel which is the fun part of town. As in naughty, dirty fun, not pure clean fun.

Their boss is Cardinalesse Artemisia, who in turn is the spymistress of the Church, and are renowed as fine exemplar crooks.
The boss of the  Azure Guard is some Hierophant Lazarus, and they're basically boring model guardsmen.
The boss of the Pale Guard is Capitan Almeric Dalloway of the Sacretta Carnifexa, and is well known as a jolly good fanatic.

Scarlet Women Lane contains the cabarets, private theatres and most entertaining flavours of Chancel.

The Ruby Guard follows the Cardinalesse's wishes because she shares her shinies directly with them, and she's more generous than the other guard bosses which gathers an excellent selection of talent - like thieves and scoundrels, some even actually good at their work. They'll do basically anything for their boss, reporting everything they see and hear in the funnier parts of Chancel and often help her private parties and events.

The Saphire Guard is a goody-two-shoes guard that mostly restricts itself to the dullest parts of Chancel, especially in the Cathedral Ward. Their bounty is coming out of the population theft and rich extorsion vaults, and both only every blue moon and still too good for their like. The Saphire Guard somehow likes it that way, as it keeps to limited membership to the boring clans of Krevborna, who consider a term of slavery in this band as a tribal totem.

The bulk of the Ivory Guard consists mostly of novice priests, dumb knights- and crusader-newbies, with old warrior and fancy NCOs herding them on the streets. It serves mostly as a learning class of the Carnifexa Sacretta, and what its numbers lack in cunning they make up in sheer stubborness and love to show off.

But I didn't get to the juicier part yet! For you see, Scarlet Women Lane is basically under Cardinalesse Artemisia and her Red Guard's fingers, and would've been wiped out from the theocratic town long ago if not for her. Many fancy names and business people owe something to the Cardinalesse, who enjoys to cash in such favors to play and screw over with those who look at her funny.

Recently some White Guards have put it into their empty heads to purge Scarlet Women Lane of its fun. Hunts between Red and White Guard have become pretty regular, not rarely escalating into brawls in the middle of the roads."

: "Eeerrr... Any chance we can just skip the gates? Like I could summon an hippogriph for getting over the walls although it'll only last a minute."

:"Can't you just climb over the walls, Lobinha? I recall you being pretty good at it."

: "Hahaha, yes, I've trained pretty hard to be good at climbing, how could I forget that? Not like I'm talented or natural at it, no, just hard work, hahaha..."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 12:51:42 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2019, 12:43:22 AM »
"Ah, I see that I misunderstood," she says, moving slightly closer to the yuki-onna and muttering under her breath, in a language that none of the others could speak: "Dear, if any of these guards cause you problems, or the Red come to a misunderstanding, then tell me immediately so that they might be set straight..."

It was perhaps unsurprising that the promise to "deal with" problematic guards did not make the already-anxious performer any calmer.

"If we all have money... aside from the statue... is there any reason that the guards would not simply let us pass?" Yuki asks, assuming that the strange pair can muster a disguise, "Rejecting potential clientèle would be problematic for them."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 05:40:02 PM »
"Bribing the guards is the simplest method, though if they see any hints that we are authority figures, it wouldn't work." Mist says while looking at the statue. "Does the heaven-sent have a method to look less...heaven-sent?"
Hmm.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2019, 11:01:17 PM »
1:9"Somewhat"

The Angel-Statue glows with light and shrinks down. When the light fades, it reveals a unearthly beautiful woman with ivory skin (what little of it you can see), wearing the same incredibly heavy steel armor and weapons. 

Offline Arccosecant

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2019, 08:05:53 PM »
"We are still on the more conspicuous side as a group. Perhaps it would be advisable for us to draw less attention?" Maxim shifts his glasses and adjusts his hat to hide his eyes.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2019, 10:12:04 PM »
"Better to disappear after we get inside. Step one of any infiltration is not to creep somewhere that you can legitimately be," the ninja says, "Pose as a guest or be hired as work. The most attentive guards for intruders are those watching the perimeter."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2019, 11:11:39 PM »
: "But thing is, those red guards are already paid pretty well to not only guard the gates, they'll report everything they see and hear to this Cardinalesse Artemisia. They may be bribeable, but certainly they won't be cheap, and they'll report any guests to their employer. Who is also the spymistress. Even if the red guards aren't suspicious, she will be. It's her job."

:"So what else do you suggest?"

: "The White Guard is already at odds with the Red Guard and aiming at fixing the wrongs in the city. Thus we should seek the support of the White Guard first. If we tip them about our case, they'll certainly support us in doing the right thing."

:"If you put things that way, we could also use this White Guard as a distraction. Get them at each other's throats and then slip in the middle of the confusion. Or even better, double-cross them! Set up a brawl and help the Red Guard against the White Guard, that'll get us in their good side!"

: "Hmmm, maybe we can just talk things out at the gate after all. "

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
Mist begins to walk out of the grove. "A believable lie then. We're looking for work. Should we go with mercenaries? Most of us are ladies. What about dancers? That would likely get us in without many question. And Mr. I-can't-do-subtlety can be our bodyguard?"

A shadowy feline emerges besides Mist. "This is my 'familiar' Hazy. And you may call me Mist. I am a user of the arcane arts. And no, not the kinds that throws Fireballs. I am particularly good at weakening magics, though I am not without means to fight more directly."
Hmm.