Author Topic: Unearthed Arcana : Psionics V0.2  (Read 16250 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Unearthed Arcana : Psionics V0.2
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 04:27:26 PM »
Quote from: rules
Conquering Mind
Lesser discipline (awakened)

By channeling psionic power, you gain the ability to control other creatures by substituting your will for their own. Psychic Focus. While focused on this discipline, you gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Deception, Intimidation, Performance, or Persuasion. You can change the chosen skill each time you apply your focus to this discipline.

If you already have the skill, does the rule on pg 126 player's handbook: (bolded for emphasis)
Quote from: rules
Proficiencies

Each background gives a character proficiency in two skills. Skills are described in chapter 7. In addition, most backgrounds give a character proficiency with one or more tools. Tools and tool proficiencies are detailed in chapter 5. If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead.

whilst this does pertain to backgrounds, this states different sources, not specifically backgrounds and classes.

thoughts?

umm
There's probably a statement about that
being only at Character Generation.

And then ConqMind is a self contained ability.

idk specifics (obviously) but something like
the Knowledge Cleric wording would be needed
to make it more open ended.

my 1 1/2 cents ... lite
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2016, 11:11:33 PM »
O forgotten thread, lost to the ages
Arise and return to the front-most pages

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/809153048182280192

Psionics are likely to get a d6 base class in the next revision, with the ideas from the Order of the Immortal split off and grafted onto the fighter via a new archetype.  Psionic archetypes sound like more solid way to balance out some of the problems that arose from multiclass hypotheticals.  Let's hope they get creative with psionic archetypes for other classes.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:13:09 PM by TenaciousJ »
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2016, 06:44:25 AM »

Well, this shows that we need a sticky post to discuss such things...

Maybe for stuff related to a UA database or for Wotc free stuff and leaks...
Lovely Zoma...

Offline Argent Fatalis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Nature, red in tooth and claw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
This move would really be for the best. Making the psion its own class, giving it archetypes that mirror the disciplines, an ardent's mantles or a wilder's signature Wild Surge. Moving psychic warrior to a fighter archetype as a different form of Eldritch Knight would make more sense as well, possibly even let them distinguish it more.

And finally drop the nonsense of a name called "mystic" for a psionic class.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2016, 12:44:45 PM »
Archetypes offer an easy path to re-creating older psionic classes.  Soulknife and Lurk are probably more functional as archetypes of existing classes than they ever were as standalone classes.  Monks were a psionic class in 4e as well, and most people around here would have been familiar with Tashalatora builds that could be expressed as a monk archetype.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2016, 07:14:41 PM »
Archetypes offer an easy path to re-creating older psionic classes.  Soulknife and Lurk are probably more functional as archetypes of existing classes than they ever were as standalone classes.  Monks were a psionic class in 4e as well, and most people around here would have been familiar with Tashalatora builds that could be expressed as a monk archetype.
I would make Soulknife a feat. For the ability to conjure a magical weapon, there is already Warlock. So that really just leaves Knife to the Soul, which can be a feat for Rogues/Assassins.

Similarly, I'd actually just make Arcane Archer a feat, along with many other alternative base classes and PrCs, like Beast Heart Adept, Force Missile Mage, Spell Sovereign, Swiftblade, Spellthief, Warchief, and others. Most have a single 'shtick' and the rest is filler advancing base class features, or numerical upgrades.

(I actually did these before, along with a few other feat conversions.)
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »
^^^

That would offer more build diversity.  On the other hand, as archetypes they might get fleshed out to be something more robust than they were in 3.5.

Offline 7h39

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2016, 05:28:36 AM »
I really liked the mystic as a all-within psionic class, being so different from wizard and fighter with their own archetypes. Yes, twisties a bit the standard game design, but going back to Psion with disciplines as archetypes will give us only a spell point wizard.

I love psions btw.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
I want this stuff to come out so I can stop looking at Mike Mearls' twitter.  He tweets like it's a tumblr blog.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/813999711132581888

Hey Mearls just curious is the order of the knife  for the Mystic still going to a be a thing?
was last i looked at the file - six orders, plus a fighter subclass; but d8 HD, so melee type is in class #wotcstaff

I think that implies one of the orders is melee-oriented, and the class has d8 HD within internal design again.  That leaves 5 orders unaccounted for, but that pushes the design away from exactly corresponding to the 3.5 psion.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/815055851752783872

Finished level 1-20 design on the mystic before the end of the year. Six orders, ~50 disciplines, one fighter subclass (sohei). #wotcstaff

That's a lot of material to be refined before it sees a UA test.  I'm surprised the fighter archetype is going to be based on the Sohei.  I suppose there's something more Psychic Warrior-like in the mystic archetypes.