Author Topic: The Evernight Chronicles, Chapter I: Usual Suspects  (Read 56730 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: The Evernight Chronicles, Chapter I: Usual Suspects
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2012, 01:18:26 PM »
Ash's eyes narrow for a moment, remembering how he had been going on about a job. "Yes, and I brought more capable hands for your job. Are the others I was with attached to you in employment? I am seeking them."

Worm smiles easily.  "Oh, we did that job already, then they wandered off somewhere.  Why, are you looking for a job too?"

((Go ahead and roll Sense Motive.  Even without metagaming I think Ash doesn't trust this kid.))
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »
"Oh, and here I thought you were the boss." she smiled up to him. "So big and strong." her hand trailed along his arm, ignoring the gross asymmetry of his form.

"Well then, if you aren't the boss, then who is?" she ventured, then gave a glance to Ravage and Cecilia.

Hynus frowns again.  He seems not to have figured out many other expressions, really.  "Shouldn't say.  Dangerous to know."

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »
She gave him a smile. He may have frowned out of fear of losing her favor, but she smiled up to him. As she spoke, she gave him a playful nudge with her hip, "Why, you're my regular knight in shining armor. Keeping me safe." she placed a hand over her heart, "I appreciate that, Hynus. I... I really do." she sounded sincere. She sounded touched. She was good at this. It wasn't the first time she played the damsel in distress.

"Do you have a place back there where my friends and I can sit? All this excitement I think... I just need to sit down." she motioned to the curtain.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2012, 04:25:28 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Ash steps up to the boy, nodding to the entrances as if to say, 'Watch out', to his two companions. "Always, as well as information."
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »
"Do you have a place back there where my friends and I can sit? All this excitement I think... I just need to sit down." she motioned to the curtain.

Hynus grunts and nods, then moves the curtain aside with the big sword.  He gives Ravage and Cece the hairy eyeball, but since they're friends of Unique, they seem to be okay.

Ash steps up to the boy, nodding to the entrances as if to say, 'Watch out', to his two companions. "Always, as well as information."

(click to show/hide)

Worm's smile widens. "Great!" he chirps, then hesitates, looking crestfallen.  "I don't know how much help I can be with information... nobody tells me anything."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:10:18 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »
Hynus grunts and nods, then moves the curtain aside with the big sword.  He gives Ravage and Cece the hairy eyeball, but since they're friends of Unique, they seem to be okay.

"Why, thank you." When Hynus gives them a glance, she smiles towards Hynus, "A girl can't be too careful, right? These are dangerous times."

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
(click to show/hide)

As the curtain swings shut behind them, Unique, Ravage, and Cece find themselves in a large, dirty combination of storage room and bedroom.  There are cardboard boxes and wooden crates stacked haphazardly everywhere, and in the corner is a rumpled bed.  A narrow doorway stands open, showing a filthy commode.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
Curiosity being a girl's weakness, Unique can't help but paw through to see what treasures and possessions this filthy creature has. The air takes a slightly different feel around her as she does so. [Motivate Dexterity]

(click to show/hide)

"Think you could see about another way out of here, Ravage dear?" she said quietly to the mechanized apocalypse. "Right now, Hynus' other brain is doing all the thinking, but I don't know if he'll just let us leave." she gave the warforged a wink, "I can't brainwash an empty head, after all."
Link to my homebrews

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Worm's smile widens. "Great!" he chirps, then hesitates, looking crestfallen.  "I don't know how much help I can be with information... nobody tells me anything."
Stepping closer to the grinning lad, and lowering his already raspingly deep voice, Ash hums, "This will be simple enough. Something you may have heard of, or overheard. Any and all details on a power-organization, known as Black Lily."

As soon as he sees the boy react, and as soon as he is sure the boy has nothing (more) to say, he will continue, stepping very closely and speaking very softly. "And I need to know where you took those people. Now."

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Curiosity being a girl's weakness, Unique can't help but paw through to see what treasures and possessions this filthy creature has. The air takes a slightly different feel around her as she does so. [Motivate Dexterity]

(click to show/hide)

Most of the crates are empty... but they are padded on the inside, and set with some sort of biological equipment.  And air holes.  Some of the boxes contain medical supplies, and others contain stripped-down weapon parts, mostly stuff for guns and vibroblades.

Stepping closer to the grinning lad, and lowering his already raspingly deep voice, Ash hums, "This will be simple enough. Something you may have heard of, or overheard. Any and all details on a power-organization, known as Black Lily."

As soon as he sees the boy react, and as soon as he is sure the boy has nothing (more) to say, he will continue, stepping very closely and speaking very softly. "And I need to know where you took those people. Now."

Worm freezes motionless for a split second, his smile plastered to his face, and you see a brief burst of panic in his eyes.  Then the easygoing grin is back, and his eyes are hooded and unreadable.  "Never heard of it, I'm afraid.  Sorry..." and you notice a tiny trickle of sweat behind his ear.

"And, uh... sure!  I can bring you there right now... though like I said I'm sure they're gone.  I might be able to, um... search 'em out, for a fee.  I know lots of hiding places..." he looks hopeful.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:03 PM »
((Hey Nans, don't forget about Ravage!))

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »
(( Maybe Ravage failed that Willpower save after all...))
Link to my homebrews

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
Ravage looks at Unique.  "I assume that you have a plan?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »
Ravage looks at Unique.  "I assume that you have a plan?"

Unique had this way of turning flustered into fabulous.

"Well, not a plan per say, but more of an idea at this point." she admitted. "Though, I suppose now that my curiosity is sated there's really no reason that we can't just walk out the front door. I could ask him nicely, and if he says no or tries to stop us, then dear Ravage, you could always try to ask him your way." she implied, with Ravage's version of asking probably involving violence.

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
Ravage nods.  "I see no reason to stay here unless you wish to take some of his belongings, so let us leave."

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
Unique gave a nod, then slinked her way out from behind the curtain, "Hynus?" she purred. "I wish I could stay longer, but I have to be going." she put on a sad pout. "Will you... *bat eyelashes* ... come see me sometime?" she asked as she swayed up to lean against his frame. From a pocket, she produced a card for Carousel, trailing it up along the curve of her form until she held it between herself and him. She gave the card a soft kiss, then brought it down to deposit half-way under the waistband of his trousers.

"I miss you already." She whispered, and then started to make her way out to the street.
Link to my homebrews

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2012, 02:39:57 AM »
Ash gives a thoroughly unnatural smile. "Well, we will see when we get to their drop point. I might have to tip you for finding them faster, if that's any incentive." He nodded as if to indicate the others should come to him.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
Ash gives a thoroughly unnatural smile. "Well, we will see when we get to their drop point. I might have to tip you for finding them faster, if that's any incentive." He nodded as if to indicate the others should come to him.

Worm shrugs eagerly.  "Uh, sure!  OK, let's go."  He leads Ash and the others out of the building.

Unique gave a nod, then slinked her way out from behind the curtain, "Hynus?" she purred. "I wish I could stay longer, but I have to be going." she put on a sad pout. "Will you... *bat eyelashes* ... come see me sometime?" she asked as she swayed up to lean against his frame. From a pocket, she produced a card for Carousel, trailing it up along the curve of her form until she held it between herself and him. She gave the card a soft kiss, then brought it down to deposit half-way under the waistband of his trousers.

"I miss you already." She whispered, and then started to make her way out to the street.

Hynus blushes, a very disturbing sight on his ugly mug.  "Yes..." he rumbles, then suddenly straightens, and looks back at Unique in consternation.  "Too late.  Boss is here..." the gears grind, and he frowns, then his face suddenly brightens.  "Knock me out!" he stage-whispers to Unique and Ravage.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »
Hynus blushes, a very disturbing sight on his ugly mug.  "Yes..." he rumbles, then suddenly straightens, and looks back at Unique in consternation.  "Too late.  Boss is here..." the gears grind, and he frowns, then his face suddenly brightens.  "Knock me out!" he stage-whispers to Unique and Ravage.

Unique gives a quick nod, standing on her tippy toes to give a quick peck on the cheek to the lumbering oaf. "Sweet dreams." she whispers, then turns to Ravage. "Ravage, be a dear and oblige him?"

(click to show/hide)
Link to my homebrews

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
((To move things along, we'll assume that that works.))

After a while, Worm turns back to Ash with another grin.  "We're almost there.  You can go in if you want, but you'd better let me go in first to make sure they know you're coming.  They don't like unexpected guests..." then suddenly he freezes and spins around, peering up the street into the darkness, and his gaze tilts up, above the buildings toward the supernaturally darkened dome.  "Oh, fuck."

He looks back at Ash with a panicked expression.  "Uh, uh... go.  Go, right now, and don't come back."  Then he turns and dashes into an alleyway as quickly as he can.