Author Topic: The Evernight Chronicles, Chapter I: Usual Suspects  (Read 56730 times)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
Re: The Evernight Chronicles, Chapter I: Usual Suspects
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
"Oh well if it's a popularity contest you want to win then today, my good Ravage, you made the right friend." She was quick to use the term. "I'm something of an expert in the fields of fashion and makeovers, really. Mostly a hobby. Lifestyle sculpture and all." she said with that soft smile, her coffee cup now hovering over in easy grabbing distance. She takes the cup from the air as she moves, "I say accentuate that rugged mechanical frame of yours. See what you can do with it to play to the crowd. DEMAND that they remember you." she said, exercising her expert opinions.

"The Bowl is far more honest then the rest of Evernight, dearie. You know exactly where you stand in those walls." she took a sip of the coffee. Light, sweet, hot. It fit her well. "If anyone is cheating, it's the people who walk in there unprepared, and their only cheating themselves. You don't strike me as the cheating type, and trust me, I know plenty of cheaters." she gave a sly grin.

She paused for a moment, "Though, to work on that image of yours we really should speak with yourrrrrrrr... manager." she hung on the word, then chose one a little more neutral. With the way things worked in Evernight, the closer term was probably Owner, but Unique remembers well what it was like to have someone else live your life for you, and she didn't enjoy that feeling at all. "Maybe a tour of the other Domes, get your name out there, remind the other Domes what it's like to live a little." she offered. "That is, of course, if there's any interest..." that smile again. That nearly intoxicating smile.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:23 PM »
Ravage nods as he listens to her words.  While her smile might have any number of effects upon others, Ravage only sees it as a friendly smile.  "Any adjustments made to my frame will not last.  I change it at will to suit the needs of any given fight, and can adjust myself slightly even outside of one.  I am a mechanical being in a world populated by biological ones.  I am sure that I am remembered by the crowd, I just do not believe I am as popular as you would have me believe."

As he talks about his ability to adjust himself, Ravage demonstrates his abilities.  He grows a few inches and bulks out even more, the mithral veins running through his construction becoming more prominent as he concentrates.  He looks like a different Warforged, though close scrutiny reveals that he still has traces of himself.  He then returns to normal.

"You are correct in saying that I am not the cheating type.  I have never knowing competed in a rigged fight, that ruins the point of the competition.  As to my image, you must speak with the sentient that owns me.  I am not sure who that is however, keeping track is a pointless endeavor."

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 12:28:13 AM »
Opposite the two, Ash kept silent, but seemed to smile as they spoke. He wasn't shy to watch whichever person he was listening to, though for the most part it was as if the other two weren't even in the room.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »
Unique watched with something of contained awe at Ravage's demonstration. When he finished, she gave a nod and a smile, "At least you're honest. That puts you a few steps above, oh how did you put it... biological beings." she said, her mood a little soured. A sip of coffee hid the face, though.

"Believe me, I know what it's like to feel owned." she says softly, almost in confidence. What does she care that the lifetorn hears her? "As for you... manager, I'd very much like to meet them, so we can all talk of making you a champion." she said, now chipper and smiles again. She took a liking to this warforged. She saw a bit of herself in it... him. Flexible, adaptable, and like her childhood... not in control of his own life. Though, if it was one thing that could cheer her up, it was talk of a makeover. "Perhaps accent those lovely mithril tracings." she almost reached out to touch them again, but held herself back. A sip of her coffee later, she addressed Ravage once again, "So, what brings you to this fine establishment today?"
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
Ravage shrugs.  "All sentients are capable of deception, even created ones such as I.  I personally just choose not to deceive while competing.  I have no qualms about dishonesty in other areas as long as it serves a legitimate purpose."

Nodding as he hears her commiserate with him, Ravage says, "From what little I have gleaned about this dome many have a past where they were under the control of others."  He matches his tone to hers and smiles in response.  "I have never paid much attention to my physical appearance, when one is able to adjust their frame at will one pays little attention to outward appearances.  What someone looks like is malleable, who someone is remains constant.  As for what brings me here, I'm sure it is the same as you.  Detective Strom wanted to ask me a few questions about a man who was murdered."  It is obvious that the murder in question has not had any effect upon him.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
At first, she smiled, "You're more like a living person then you give yourself credit for, dear." Then she gently swatted his arm, like a mosquito trying to body slam a blue whale. "And I'll have you know I've had plenty of adjustments on my physical frame, and in the right circles appearance is everything." she gave a musical giggle. He had cheered her up out of her melancholy. "Though, you're surprisingly philosophical for a gladiator, no offense... and you're absolutely right. It's not about the outside, it's your heart that counts." she then struck a sultry pose for the warforged, a side profile with her hair swept back, the sheer of her dress hugging her curves. "Though... a nice outside never hurts."

She held the pose for a moment, then smiled as she joined Ravage, standing against the wall. As Ravage detailed why he was here, she nodded again, "Two for two. Though, maybe we should wait until after the Detective is done before we compare questions. He said he may need to ask me more, and I guess he said the same to you."
Link to my homebrews

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 03:30:48 AM »
Ravage gives her a good look up and down as she strikes her pose, eying her critically.  "Thank you Unique.  I can see why biologicals would appreciate your frame.  You are a very beautiful woman, like a rare piece of art.  However, we travel in different circles and beauty has no use in the ring.  Anyways, the whole image would be ruined as soon as I sprouted claws, a spiked tail, and then doubled in size."

After she moves to stand beside him and relays her observations, Ravage nods in return and gently pats her on the shoulder.  "Agreed.  Despite the circumstances of my arrival here it has been a pleasant experience.  Both you and the Detective have treated me as equals, the only times I am normally treated with respect are when I have won a victory in the arena."

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 08:29:36 AM »
"And you have a good eye, and such a lovely comparison." she smiled to him, "Thank you."

Rare art. It was a closer description then he knew. Though, that's how things were in Aerie... if you had the money, you could have anything. If you had even more, you could have it tailored.

She never once missed that place.

At his mention of being treated as an equal, she smiled, "Well, everyone deserves some respect, as long as they're respectful. Wouldn't you agree?" she started, "I suppose it comes naturally to me to expect that others want to be treated as such. I never thought of you as just a collection of weaponry with feet to guide them. I look at you, and see a gladiator, a warrior. Strong, but isolated. Not just from the manner of your being but by society especially. They see a weapon, but they don't know to look deeper. They see your fists, whereas I see your heart." she smiled again, her free hand returned to idly tracing the mithril runnings along his torso. "It's what I do. I've done it for so long that it's instinct, truth be told. Pleasant Experiences are my specialty."
Link to my homebrews

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »
At some point during the conversation, a beautiful mid-teen in cheap-but-not-without-style clothes entered the room in a rush. Something about her appearance was a bit off, as if such attractiveness was hiding an eerie truth of some kind. Her rather long (some of it even reaches her ankles) silvery white hair was falling on her back as she stopped to examine the room while the door behind her closed slowly. She gave a brief look at everyone in the room (and anyone that cared enough to make eye contact can see eyes of a gold so faint it is depressing) but she stayed silent and headed to the table where there was snacks and coffee. She took a chair near and sat there, taking a cup of said coffee plus something to eat, acting as if no one else was in the room.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
Ravage smiles in return.  "You are welcome."

As the new woman enters the room Ravages eyes instantly snap towards her, gauging the situation and any potential threat level.  Then something clicks and he decides that this is a no-combat zone and that he can safely relax his guard. 

Returning his attention to Unique he says, "I do agree, everyone deserves a modicum of respect.  Then again, I am sure that we have had very different experiences when it comes to being respected.  Those I meet respect me because I am a warrior and thus I have proven my skills to them in the arena or I have earned them money.  Those in your circle respect you because, and I do not mean to imply any vulgarity, you are most likely a hired companion.  I see no other reason for you to dress as you are during a police investigation, nor for you to show off your body the many times you have before I assessed it as you seemed to want me to."

Ravage pauses slightly, his thoughts whirring.  "I just realized that if you are not a hired companion that you will most likely be offended at my statement.  I apologize for that.  I must also apologize for correcting you, but I have no heart."  He gently brushes aside her fingers and knocks on his chest for emphasis.  The soft clang of metal upon metal can be heard.  "My specialty is fighting and killing, or not killing depending on the type of event.  I will admit that I have a more cultured and philosophical outlook upon things than most would expect of a gladiator, but as I do not need to eat, sleep, or do any of those other things that take up so much time for biologicals I have more time to think than most."

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »
At the girl's entrance, Ash blinked. It was a subtle expression, but lifetorn don't generally do it. It expressed surprise, or confusion, but whatever it expressed was gone the instant he decided to react to it. He rose slowly, moved with intention, leaned down next to the girl. "Those are very interesting eyes." His own eyes, as directly as they had looked directly at the others, now locked onto the girl. They were quite obviously glowing; a golden amber. Not enough to give off light, but enough to be noticed. "How did you come by those eyes, if you don't mind my asking?"

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »
Cecilia gave the lifetorn a brief disconcerted look, and then she quickly checked again on the people in the room. Her eyes slowly rolled back to the interested, to which she replied, a bit confused. "They were like this since forever... Why would, hum.. you .. be interested in them? You're weird..."

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
"How adorable."  Suddenly standing in the middle of the room is a man dressed in some sort of formal robes, with a cowl that hides his face.  His hands are hidden in his sleeves.  "Now that you've all been so nice to each other, I think we'd better get this over with before the good Mister Strom returns."

The air next to the man seems to coalesce into a clear, shimmering figure, which immediately takes a fighting stance.

((Initiative, of course ;) ))

EDIT: ((I'm splitting this off into another thread, like I did for Walk the Line.  Should've done it originally.))
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:53:05 AM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 10:42:43 AM »
Unique finds, as does Strom, that the lock has been fused shut.  The sound of heavy footsteps disappears on the other side.

After a minute of conversation, Strom returns.  "Everyone stand back, I'm going to open it up."  Suddenly the lock begins to glow red-hot, and then melts away to nothing.  The door swings open, and Strom is standing there with an energy blade which he subsequently deactivates and sheathes.

He reaches out and grabs the collar of a young, skinny and pimply kid in ratty jeans and a black t-shirt, who he tosses into the room.  Strom glares at the boy. "Sit in the corner, Worm.  I'll deal with you later."  Then he turns his attention back to the four previous occupants of the room.  "What happened here?"

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
Unique watches the spectacle, then gives the kid that Strom throws into the room little more then a passing glance. She then gave Cecilia something of a quick, conspiratorial wink before she turned her full attention to Strom. "Oh it was simply dreadful Officer Strom. We're all here, having a nice chat and actually being civil when this tacky dressed man in a third rate cowl and robes just appears out of nowhere and sics his... well whatever it was... on us."

"Lucky for us we had Ravage here to tear apart his hench-whatever and drive him away." She shot Ravage a smile. "Of course we all pitched in, and did our part naturally. When he left he said some of the usual dribble about how he'll be back or whatever. If he does come back I hope it's not in that same last-season bathrag he called a robe. Seriously, some people have no shame."
Link to my homebrews

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »
Ash walks over, watching the elf speak. After she finished, he turned to Strom. "We were attacked by an unknown assailant wielding a vibrating blade and wearing a cloak and cowl. He appeared suddenly, as did a shimmering, semi-visible supporter who attacked without armaments. Both put up a short but announced assault, naming you before attacking. After a brief 18 seconds, the man gave parting threats and disappeared. No visible transportation activated, and it is doubtful he merely turned invisible." Holding up his arm, the only cut he received. "Minimal injuries, nothing else of note."

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »
The girl blinked back at Unique when she "left" her for Strom; her demeanor showed an explicit but not uncontrolled excitement. Letting the others talk to the officer, Cecilia peeked at that boy Strom brought in the room, partially interested why he was here.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »
Strom nods at Unique and Ravage, still scowling, and goes over to one corner of the room to access the Oracle Sensor there.

The girl blinked back at Unique when she "left" her for Strom; her demeanor showed an explicit but not uncontrolled excitement. Letting the others talk to the officer, Cecilia peeked at that boy Strom brought in the room, partially interested why he was here.

The boy smiles shyly at Cecilia, wincing at a bruise on his cheek and left eye.  He beckons her over surreptitiously.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 09:24:04 PM »
Ravage nods in return to Strom, then turns his attention to the newcomer in threat assessment.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
The kid looks pretty unassuming... he has a knife at his belt and a couple of gadgets.  He seems intimidated by Ravage and Ash (and Strom).