Author Topic: Standards of attractiveness in D&D races  (Read 2718 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
Standards of attractiveness in D&D races
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:14:46 PM »
What are the standards of attractiveness of various races in D&D, both female and male? What I mean is, for example: what in orc society is considered attractive in a female/male orc by other orcs? What about elven society? Or halfling? And what about races that are less fleshed out by fans/official books, like goblins?
Although I'm primarily interested in generic D&D (like Greyhawk or FR) and official lore on this topic, I'd also like to read something about other, more original settings (like Eberron) or even your homebrew stuff (because I assume there won't be that much official material on attractiveness). I'm slowly creating my own setting and I'm gathering ideas for... things.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
Re: Standards of attractiveness in D&D races
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »
What orcs hate: Elves. Traitors, deception (they got majorly screwed over by this in most of the divine myths).

What they find attractive in general: Strength, ability to survive. These are the gifts orcs have over other races, and they will likely consequently find them the more attractive.

Gruumsh bids them gather and breed, gather in hordes, raid, kill, conquer. From this I'd extrapolate fertility is attractive for both sexes; leadership, conquest, and destruction for males.

Luthic is the orcish feminine ideal, protector of the home. She fights bare-handed. Her ideals indicate sexy femininity for orcs includes servitude, strength, fertility, support of the community, knowledge of medicine and healing, and protection of the home.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »
What orcs hate: Elves. Traitors, deception (they got majorly screwed over by this in most of the divine myths).

What they find attractive in general: Strength, ability to survive. These are the gifts orcs have over other races, and they will likely consequently find them the more attractive.

Gruumsh bids them gather and breed, gather in hordes, raid, kill, conquer. From this I'd extrapolate fertility is attractive for both sexes; leadership, conquest, and destruction for males.

Luthic is the orcish feminine ideal, protector of the home. She fights bare-handed. Her ideals indicate sexy femininity for orcs includes servitude, strength, fertility, support of the community, knowledge of medicine and healing, and protection of the home.

So, hot german female wrestlers.  This pleases me... I mean, uh...
Mudada.

Offline Roxoff

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Geek Game Tools
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »
What are the standards of attractiveness of various races in D&D, both female and male? What I mean is, for example: what in orc society is considered attractive in a female/male orc by other orcs? What about elven society? Or halfling? And what about races that are less fleshed out by fans/official books, like goblins?
Although I'm primarily interested in generic D&D (like Greyhawk or FR) and official lore on this topic, I'd also like to read something about other, more original settings (like Eberron) or even your homebrew stuff (because I assume there won't be that much official material on attractiveness). I'm slowly creating my own setting and I'm gathering ideas for... things.

It's a tough question, really, and I don't recall anything I've read talking about the details of attraction among these races.

From our, human, point of view, we probably wouldn't be aware of the actual detail of the attraction between humanoid creatures that are so different to us.  Orcs may well be attracted to extra-strong individuals, or those with long tusks.  Or something subtle that we just wouldn't appreciate.  And you might even find that the average orc taste is diverse - so different things are attractive to different clans.

There may also be other cultural difference - where physical attraction isn't really on the agenda - you may want to opt for the scenario where orc and goblin societies are so founded on brutality that the strongest just take what they want from the weakest anyway.

And elf society would be completely different - they've much less need to reproduce (they have such long lifespans) and so would be far more interested in other stuff, like intellect or skills in particular areas (poetry or singing, etc.)

At the end of the day, such social interactions as this may help define the differences between the races for you - but it's your world, and you get to choose what's best for you here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:54:25 AM by Roxoff »
"Is the Chief Priest an Offlian?  Do dragons explode in the wood?"
My game diaries: www.immortalgeek.com
You want your game notes typed? www.secretarialedge.com

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:39:40 AM »
Going back to what Kajhera said, you really should just look at racial deities, and how they are portrayed.

I would think Gnomes find pranks damn sexy.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."