Author Topic: 5E build - The Lost Lord  (Read 22104 times)

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: 5E build - The Lost Lord
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 02:26:01 PM »
The quoted section above mentions getting a free feat for 8 days of downtime, but... I don't know of any feat that gives a familiar to a non-wizard type character. Do you have a source for this?
Familiars are no longer a hardwired class feature in 5e, but locked behind the Find Familiar spell instead. Both the Ritual Caster and the Magic Initiate feat can get you the spell.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 05:05:55 PM »
You can swap a treasure parcel for feat or skill training But I can't recall offhand which exact page in the DMG.

You can purchase a PHB spell service casting of Find Familiar, cheap enough to be worth it, regardless of negotiated price.  Right there in the basic items list.

Oathbreaker built not at all like SorO's build, can have Warlock 5 for short rest Animate Deads.  That's gotta be worth some Necro-ing.

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline lunasmeow

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 05:26:56 PM »
The quoted section above mentions getting a free feat for 8 days of downtime, but... I don't know of any feat that gives a familiar to a non-wizard type character. Do you have a source for this?
Familiars are no longer a hardwired class feature in 5e, but locked behind the Find Familiar spell instead. Both the Ritual Caster and the Magic Initiate feat can get you the spell.
Oh, sweet! This is only my second time playing 5e, and I wasn't a caster at all the last time, so I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!
You can swap a treasure parcel for feat or skill training But I can't recall offhand which exact page in the DMG.

You can purchase a PHB spell service casting of Find Familiar, cheap enough to be worth it, regardless of negotiated price.  Right there in the basic items list.

Oathbreaker built not at all like SorO's build, can have Warlock 5 for short rest Animate Deads.  That's gotta be worth some Necro-ing.
I'll have to look through the PHB for that then! As for the Warlock 5, not so useful when playing as a Vampire, but absolutely useful for my other campaign I'm going to be joining, where I'm a normal human. Always glad to hear other ideas.

Offline lunasmeow

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 12:39:27 AM »

So, just a quick update - turns out the familiar version of an Imp isn't one obtainable with Find Familiar as a spell per se, according to the tweets from creators... but because of this, the Imp can be a familiar without any spell at all. It just has to be convinced to do so. Just FYI for people who don't want to lvl dip or feat dip for one. Just find and obtain one through dialogue! The term "familiar" in the instance used was meant in the "magical companion" sense not the "find familiar" spell sense apparently.

This has the beautiful side-effect of making them available for anyone, of any class and build, all for some in-game RP, or a detailed character background. They act independently, and the character can still get their normal familiar/animal companion/etc if they can obtain one. They're basically an unpaid cohort.

Link: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/101217/why-cant-the-variant-imp-familiar-be-found-with-the-find-familiar-spell

The first answer doesn't clarify completely, the second or third does and contains links to the relevant tweets, as well as the eventual update/downgrade.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:40:45 AM by lunasmeow »

Offline lunasmeow

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »

Hey, question... do you have any thoughts on a gestalt build based on this? Using either of these particular gestalt rulesets?

1. https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gestalt_(5e_Variant_Rule)

2. https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bka_DEqtM
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 05:47:30 PM by lunasmeow »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gestalt_(5e_Variant_Rule)

5e_Variant_Rule ... <uh-oh> ... )

If you click that link, you get a wonderful representation of a typical argument
between my kitty avatar and my kitty avatar's Tail , one I'm not actually privy to
but am "privvied" by , none-the-less ... (to coin a word + usage)

:D Ahh catnip.

DMG Paladin 20 // Wiz Necro 6 / Warlock xyz 11 / Sorc 3 (not necessarily in that order)
... I think that would get as much real necromantic juiciness as possible.

Offline lunasmeow

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gestalt_(5e_Variant_Rule)

5e_Variant_Rule ... <uh-oh> ... )

If you click that link, you get a wonderful representation of a typical argument
between my kitty avatar and my kitty avatar's Tail , one I'm not actually privy to
but am "privvied" by , none-the-less ... (to coin a word + usage)

:D Ahh catnip.

DMG Paladin 20 // Wiz Necro 6 / Warlock xyz 11 / Sorc 3 (not necessarily in that order)
... I think that would get as much real necromantic juiciness as possible.
Ah, yeah the closed parenthesis fucked up the link - fixed it for you. And thanks.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »
Could probably eek a little bit more damage out of the build by using the Variant Monk Weapons rule from one of the recent Unearthed Arcana.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
xOR

Warlock 5 or 6 can get plenty enough necro going on,
especially if a Gestalt is being tagged on to a build.

Something like Soro's build, with the stretches he's
already mentioned up thread, is adding synergies
that he spotted.  And a herd of skeletons.

Pal 12 + upgrades // Death Monk 10 / Warlock 6 / xyz
Fighter 2 and Rogue Assassin 3 are alpha strike adds.
etc