Author Topic: Where can I play D&D Online Table Top?  (Read 2882 times)

Offline likedonreddy

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Where can I play D&D Online Table Top?
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:16:28 PM »
I like to play D&D but it's hard for us old skewler's schedules to match up.. I'd like to meet some new people and play some games online forum based

Offline RelentlessImp

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • A pocket full of murder.
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I play D&D Online Table Top?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:31 PM »
Here in the PbP forum, myth-weavers.com, giantitp.com in the Play by Post section, rpol.net, roll20.net for virtual tabletop.

Offline likedonreddy

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
How hard is it to find a game running? and on average how often to people play?

Offline RelentlessImp

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:41:01 PM »
Well, when you deal with PbP, you have to deal with almost frustratingly slow game post rates because typically a person will post once per day. Finding a Roll20 game is also marginally difficult because the assholes don't properly tag their games, but if you find a good one you can expect once a week playtimes.

Offline likedonreddy

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »
I need to play.. its crucial hahaha

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:45:30 PM »
I just realized you had two posts like this, so I'll just repost my reply from the other thread here:

Play by Post, as it's called (or PbP) is easy, but requires some patience.  Forum games are eeeeeever so much slower than tabletop, so if waiting drives you mad it may not be for you.  If you don't mind, read on.

Step 1: Find a group!  This forum, and some others, have places for this.  Play By Post is where I currently run one, and play in two games.  Step 1 could also be "make a game" but since you seem lost I presume we're not trying to do that.

Step 2: Figure out if the group is looking for players and what rules/houserules they're using.  Pretty much like you'd do in real life.

Step 3: Pet a cat!  Cat's are cute!  VERY IMPORTANT STEP!

Step 4: Make a character sheet.  People usually have various templates floating around.  Steal their design!

Step 5: ????

Step: 6: Profit!  I mean play!

The trouble is the slowness, since you need to wait for people to post which can take on the order of days.  At the same time don't slack and forget about it; that kills games and you don't want people to delay with you after all. 

It's not a rule and it varies with opinion and game, but having a nice writing style is a plus.  If you're in a game and it's full of rich fancy writing or exciting action, it's so disappointing to see a post like "I move and hit with sword, 5."  Since this is a slow and written environment you can afford to be descriptive with what you do and say, using different fonts, or other tricks and nice things.  That one's just my opinion.
Mudada.

Offline RelentlessImp

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 12:25:32 AM »
using different fonts
This annoys me to no end and I refuse to participate in the ludicrousness of bolding or coloring text for speech. Italicization is a common element to distinguish thought and that's as far as I'll go. Writing should look natural on the screen and on the page; adding in different fonts, styles, and colors just detracts from the writing.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 12:27:41 AM »
using different fonts
This annoys me to no end and I refuse to participate in the ludicrousness of bolding or coloring text for speech. Italicization is a common element to distinguish thought and that's as far as I'll go. Writing should look natural on the screen and on the page; adding in different fonts, styles, and colors just detracts from the writing.

Fair.  I think it had it's place (either because you're trying to differ speech from others or because it indicates accents or styles), but yes if you use it willy nilly it'll be pointless.
Mudada.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
using different fonts

Typically PbP players here use different colors/fonts than each other because it makes it far easier to read a large amount of dialogue if you don't have to keep looking to see who is posting what.

As someone who has read PbP game threads I was not in, it is well worth doing.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
I only use the fonts thing here because everyone else does and I think it makes my posts look less depressing than if I'm the one person with plaintext. XD

Though different fonts for particular speech patterns is fine. My favourite book series makes use of that. <.<