Author Topic: Form Changing Comparisons [Wildshape, Polymorph, etc]  (Read 8463 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Form Changing Comparisons [Wildshape, Polymorph, etc]
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »
This is taken from Surreal's original "Oh my" thread, expanded and doublechecked.

I've also attempted to balance them (against one another, not against non-casters) by making a few buffs and nerfs. I've assumed that each entry should be different for at least one ability, and preferably there should be a clear progression. RAI the non-spell or power abilities seem to have a grouping. Obviously the spells do too. Metamorphosis just seems out of place and in my opinion should be treated differently than polymorph since it can do different things. Therefore only the object parts of Metamorphosis are mentioned. Basically I want minor, intuitive changes that drastically help balance the abilities for their level.

Change Shape is the progenitor and is unaltered. Alter Form gets a nerf to duration so that it isn't always on. Wild Shape gets racial skill bonuses instead of Alter Self which was already too strong for its level. Metamorphosis object-only version is moved to a first level power; you can't do much as an object. Alter self also takes the worse of the two physical stats and shapechange oddly enough should take the better. Polymorph is nerfed to still be within one size step, and also take the lesser of HP/BAB/Saves. Draconic polymorph is bumped up a spell level. Shapechange is nerfed to a round per level.

I was going to simply attach the files, but instead had to upload it to a sky drive. Enjoy both the RAW and Balanced xls's.