Author Topic: [3.5] Illusory Pit vs. Golem ....  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Craiconn

• 31" Vertical Leap ...
    • View Profile
[3.5] Illusory Pit vs. Golem ....
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:44:04 PM »
I'm looking at the Illusory Pit spell in the Spell Compendium.

And it looks like we have a possible Golem-Neutralizer spell for a wizard.  Yeah, it wouldn't kill it, but it would sure as hell keep it from attacking for a good bit while the party plans a mass melee/archery whomping to kill it.

It's SR=NO.  Golems don't have an immunity to Glamer Illusions (like they do against Phantasms and Patterns). 

Although the Golem would be immune to the Stunning component if it is attacked while flailing on the ground or once the spell ends.

Can anyone poke any holes in this?

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Illusory Pit vs. Golem ....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:36:35 PM »
Golems still get a Will Save, and even though they have a poor base save they have high HD and possibly also a Wisdom bonus, so Illusory Pit is as effective against Golems as it is against anything else.

Offline Craiconn

• 31" Vertical Leap ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »
Thanks, X-Codes.  Normally I use things like Major Image, Solid Fog and what not versus golems.  To slow them down, waste their actions and corral them when possible.  I like this spell a little more because it's definitive lockdown (while the party preps and maneuvers to land the killing blows) assuming that the golem fails its save. 

Against golems, I've also had good luck with the Threesteel spell and a wide variety of condition-granting exotic weapon loadouts (supplemented with castings of Sacred Item, Greater Mighty Wallop, etc.).

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:12:46 AM »
Irresistable Illusory Pit :v

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:17:45 PM »
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue usually works better against me, than an Illusory Pit, but not always.
 :p
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Craiconn

• 31" Vertical Leap ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »
Well, for the wizard I'm building, Illusory Pit is going to get a lot of use due to the addition of the Proteus feat.  Meaning Illusory Pit can be cast as an Immediate Action (at a cost) once you hit 13th level.

It's one of the only true attack spell options for the Illusion/Glamer school.  Proteus is mainly there to provide utility, stealth and trickery for a caster.