Author Topic: Eliminating Dazing Spell in PF .... makes buildcrafting a lot more fun.  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Craiconn

• 31" Vertical Leap ...
    • View Profile
By now, you all know that nearly any primary spellcaster worth his stripes will eventually finagle their build to incorporate the Dazing Spell metamagic feat (+3 to spell level - unless you get a magic MM Rod).  It doesn't matter if you are a spellcaster who emphasizes BC, buff/debuff, blasting, summoning, etc. .... Dazing Spell is the "I Win!" button for spellcasters.  Because nothing is really immune to Dazing.

Personally, I don't use it on my spellcasters.  For the same reason I never used Incantatrix in 3.5.  And because DMs using it against my group can be utterly maddening.  Since I don't like to use the word "ban" (woohoo!), I will say that in both my tabletop groups we decided to stop using Dazing Spell via mutual DM/Player Gentlemen Agreements almost as soon as it got popular. 

But this is where it gets good.

The breadth of spellcaster styles, patterns and theme builds has greatly expanded.  I rarely see   It's funny how that one feat, as much as it was sorta well-balanced cost-wise, just absolutely dominated the buildcraft scene and pretty much handcuffed most casters into taking it.  As a result, there's no real "must have" feat or class feature in primary spellcasters any more (we're ignoring pre-Unchained Summoner/Eidolon combos in this talk).  So the variety is pretty cool now - and lots of creativity in build chassis crafting.