Author Topic: X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread  (Read 119374 times)

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
Re: X Stat to Y Bonus Discussion Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2013, 06:38:30 PM »
Hellknight 1 PrC (Inner Sea World Guide) - Smite Chaos, does same as Smite Evil.
Agile Maneuvers feat (Core) - Use Dex for CMB instead of Str
Rage Prophet 3 PrC (APG) - Add Con to Concentration Checks.
Rage Prophet 7 PrC (APG) - Add Con to DCs if casting while raging.
Enlightened Philosopher 20 Oracle Archetype (Ultimate Magic) - Add Cha to all saves.
Monkey Style feat (Ultimate Combat) - Add Wis to Acrobatics checks (also does other stuff)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:57:32 PM by Power »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
@zook: IMO athas.org and the planescape website aren't "official" official and I don't add them.  I appreciate the thought though. :)

they are officially licensed, so 2nd party. That's no different than Pathfinder
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2013, 12:04:08 AM »
@zook: IMO athas.org and the planescape website aren't "official" official and I don't add them.  I appreciate the thought though. :)

they are officially licensed, so 2nd party. That's no different than Pathfinder

wizards says they are official. wotc is the final arbiter of what is official and what is not. people are welcome to have differing opinions, but "official" is what wotc says it is, period.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2013, 12:24:49 AM »
There's quite a few 2nd party material.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »
There's quite a few 2nd party material.

i know! when i made the handbook of official content, i thought i had most of it, but boy was i wrong. i'm still not done.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »
nijineko and I already discussed this last September, including different perspectives on the word official.

Athas.org and the planescape website are not getting added to this project, I don't want any and all second party sources as that is way too much scope creep in my opinion.

If someone else wants to make a second party X stat to Y bonus thread I'll happily link it in the guide though just to make you people happy.   :p

Edit: Power I haven't forgotten you, I'll try to add those after I get off work.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
I understand totally, because you'd have to add Kalamar, and that's a big headache
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »
I understand totally, because you'd have to add Kalamar, and that's a big headache

That's pretty much it, when I start allowing more it becomes harder for me to draw a line to stop at.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »

That's pretty much it, when I start allowing more it becomes harder for me to draw a line to stop at.

yup, i understand as well. i had this same discussion with a friend and co-player who allows all d20 content in the games he runs. =P i had to explain that i drew my line at whatever wotc says is official which is quite a lot of content when all is said and done. his response seemed to me to be something on the order of 'well, that's kinda silly, but okay if that's what you want'. ^^

he had a hard time understanding why i was being so "limiting & restrictive" when in the past we've gleefully used multiple game systems for our sessions and simply did the math to translate equivalent stats, effects, and damage (we had some pretty epic characters and stories using mix-n-match elements of whatever we wanted from Palladium, TSR, and SJG all in a single concept back in the day)

(and let me tell you from personal experience, taking gurps and rifts element-using characters into d&d yields system shattering breakage annihilation apocalypse on a level above and beyond what d&d provides in self-context. you know, reflecting upon it, it was kinda like playing synnibarr when you toss out and reroll any bad rolls. yes, i've actually played synnibarr.)

i confess that i'm not always happy with the amount of stuff that winds up being official and the content is highly variable in quality, but i figured that what the owner says is official was the firmest definition i was going to find. (and recently i've discovered things that should be there, but simply aren't, grrrrr.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:51:17 PM by nijineko »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
To me, the consistency of 3rd party is sooo variable, most is horrible, while some is totally broken
- All Spells
- playground

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »
To me, the consistency of 3rd party is sooo variable, most is horrible, while some is totally broken

yuppers. i have read an occasional good idea, but seriously, finding those few are such a pain.

Offline deuxhero

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2013, 02:07:37 AM »
Oh look, Int to Diplomacy (persuasion only, no Gather Information) and bluff (lying only, no feint)

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/student-of-philosophy

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »
All of the ones Power mentioned have been added (sorry, I forgot about them).

Student of Philosophy has been added.

Formatting has been adjusted slightly and some things weren't in alphabetical order so that has been fixed too.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »
You forgot to add Rage Prophet 7. Also, Kobold Confidence (Kobolds of Golarion) lets a Kobold use int/wis/cha (pick one) to determine fortitude saves and max negative hp.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
Both added, Kobold Confidence is in the Other section since it can use multiple ability scores.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »
Mindspy gets Cha to attacks and AC (up to your class level) vs creatures whose thoughts you're detecting.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »
Could you update the links?  All of the links that started with http://www.wizards need to have the www replaced with archive so they'll work since things got moved around on their end.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
Could you update the links?  All of the links that started with http://www.wizards need to have the www replaced with archive so they'll work since things got moved around on their end.

The links should all be updated now.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
For the Pathfinder section:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warder The Warder's 1st level Defensive Focus ability lets them use Int in place of Dex to determine the number of AoOs allowed per round from the Combat Reflexes feat.  The Warder also gains Int to CMD to defend against enemies using Acrobatis to avoid an AoO.

The Warder's 4th level Tactical Acumen ability allows them to use Int in place of Dex for Reflex saves and Initiative rolls.

Finally, the 19th level Born of Steel ability adds Int to AC against critical confirmation rolls.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warder/warder-archetypes/dervish-defender-warder-archetype The Dervish Defender Warder archetype gets Int to AC at 1st level if wielding two weapons or a double weapon, using light or no armor, and not using a shield heavier than a buckler.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/stalker  The Stalker class's Combat Insight ability lets them add their Wis mod to Reflex saves and Initiative as an Insight bonus at 2nd level.  It adds onto and does not replace Dex.  At 8th level the Stalker adds their Wis mod as a competence bonus to confirm critical hits.

Dodge Bonus:  When using a full-round action to recover maneuvers, the character adds their Wis mod as a dodge bonus to AC.

Misc Stalker abilities:

Alacrity:  Gain Wis bonus to Acrobatics checks.
Deadly Recovery:  When recovering maneuvers, gain use of Combat Reflexes feat and use Wisdom in place of Dex for number of AoOs.

Warlord stuff isn't included yet because it's kinda crazy how many things the Charisma mod can apply to.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
Added, minus warlord.

Here's my notes on the Warlord, let me know if I'm missing anything

Warlord's Gambit
1 - Cha to attempt Warlord's Gambit

Tactical Presence
2 - Cha to Fort saves vs. death effects, fatigue or exhaustion effects, or poison effects to allies within 30 feet
5 - Cha to Will saves versus fear, death effect, or compulsion effects to allies within 30 feet
9 - Temp hp crap that's complicated to write out

Force of Personality
3 - Cha to Will

Tactical Flanker
4 - Cha as bonus recieved for flanking, replaces normal +2

Tactical Assistance
8 - Cha as bonus granted for using aid another, replaces normal +2