Author Topic: Ultimate Magus HB - copied  (Read 28565 times)

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Ultimate Magus HB - copied
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
Orginal Thread:

by
Phoenix00

I will copy it one to one, when/if the database error on gleemax is gone.

I think Phoenix00 said he had no time for the Handbook. This is the reason I am copiing it. If he has time and want it back... Gladly  :)

I wont change much (on my own), because Englisch isnt my first language.
So if anyone want something in, please write it - so I can copy and paste... thanks

I'll just copy paste it again, so it doesnt get lost...

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Magus HB - copied
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
The Ultimate Magus Handbook.

The Ultimate Magus is a prestige class located in Complete Mage, it is available free as an excerpt
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=3

Table of Contents
2. Introduction/Glossary
3. Look at what UM gives you, and its optimization potential
4. Base Class Combinations/Prestige Class possibilities analysis
5. Toppers and
6. Putting it all together (Graphs)
7. Prepared/Spontaneous utilizing Base Spell lists
8. Accelerated/Unique Spell list builds
a)   Other Accelerated Builds
   b)   Nar Demonbinder
   c)   Sublime Chord Builds
9. Feats
10. Tricks
11. Reserved (Last Thread of Handbook)

Oh if you see any heinous spelling errors private message me so I can fix them.

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
2)   Introduction/Glossary

This guide is very preliminary and I am still writing it.  It is just easier to write it as I go along due to all the formatting issues.  Figured I might as well get some initial input while I write it.  Thus don’t judge it as a final product yet ;)

Insert some flavor text about what the ultimate magus is.  Arcane Magic is putty in its hands.

I am going to use some unique terms to help differentiate things.

UM:  An abbreviation for Ultimate Magus

Spells Known Level: This is similar to caster level but is instead the level you use that determines your spells known and spell slots (or how many spells you prepare.)  A typical wizard or sorcerer has a spells known that is equal to his class level and thus his caster level.  A Wizard 15/Archmage 3 has a spell known level of 18.  I am creating this term to use in this handbook to make it easily differentable what spells slots you have access to due to the fact you also use caster level (prior to arcane spell power) and your actual caster level (after arcane spell power).

SKL:  An abbreviation for Spells Known Level

Caster Level (Prepared/Spontaneous/Wizard/Sorc/etc): This is your caster level prior to the adding of arcane spell power (the Ultimate Magus 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th level ability).  This will included any benefits at all granted by Practiced Spellcaster.

CL:  An abbreviation for Caster Level

Actual Caster Level:  Your total caster levels after all benefits are added.  Includes arcane spell power.

ACL:  AN abbreviation of Actual Caster Level

UM is a (X/Y) Prc: Caster levels and Spells Known Level are a big thing in DnD.  A common rule of thumb for optimization is though shall not sacrifice caster levels, followed by the second cavet, if though shall sacrifice caster levels it better be for a very good thing.  No matter what with a UM you will be sacrificing at least 1 Caster Level/Spell Known Level for your primary spellcasting class.  UM is a X/Y Prc is designed to tell you how many spells knowns levels you are sacrificing, so you can easily compare it to other Prcs.  When I say UM is a 10/11 Prc in a specific instance I am saying you will lose eventually 1 spells known level over 11 total levels (the Ultimate Magus levels and any non primary spellcasting classes prior to Ultimate Magus.), same thing for UM is a (10/12) Prc (10 levels of SNL over 12 total levels), UM is a (9/12) Prc (9 levels of SNL over 12) etc.

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »
3)   Look at what UM gives you, and its optimization potential
Now lets look at the Ultimate Magus Prestige Class and its benefits in detail
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a&page=3

Arcane Spell Power: Is just a simple caster level bump for all the arcane spells you cast.  You gain your first bump at UM 1 and an additional one at the 4th, 7th, and 10th level.
Only your Lower Level Arcane Casting progresses at levels 1,7, and 10 of Ultimate Magus.  More about that later.
Augumented Casting:  Now this ability is the true beauty of the cast besides allowing you to create a dual spellcaster and progress them both in a prestige class.  It allows you to "sack" a prepared or spontaneous metamagic.  This is an ability you can use on the fly, when ever the situation warrants it, you get to choose which metamagic to which spell as a free action.  Free Quicken Magic sign me up :P (Note you can only add the metamagic to a base spell whose level is 1/2 your UM level) Been jealous of all the Persistent Metamagic Clerics have been doing due to Divine Metamagic Persistent.  Well here is the wizard's hour you can persist your spells as easily as cleric can persist her spells starting at level 10 ;)
Expanded Spell Knowledge:  An ability that allows you to add to your spontaneous spells known from your wizard spellbook.  A nice ability you gain every two levels with Ultimate Magus and which scales up with your UM levels.  Check out the trick section about probable unforseen tricks you can use with this ability.
Bonus Feat:  You gain a bonus feat that can only be used for metamagic feats.  You can't take an item creation feat with this feat unlike a traditional wizard feat.

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device. (Can we say using items of other spellcasting classes, or using Prayer Beads ;) )

On the Proper Way of entering Ultimate Magus (Traditional vs Practiced Spellcaster Trick)

The "traditonal way" or should we say the assumed way to enter into Ultimate Magus is through Wizard 4/Sorc 1 due to the pre requisites.  This is a sample level 20 build with the traditonal way to enter into Ultimate Magus:
Sorc 1/Wizard 4/UM 10/X 5
If X continues your Wizard Spellcasting you will end up with the Spells Known of a 16th level wizard, the spells known of a 11th level sorcerer, the actual caster level of a 20th level wizard and the actual caster level of a 15th level sorcerer.  This is due to the 1st, 4th, and 7th level of Ultimate Magus only progressing your spellcasting (SKL and Caster Level) of your "lower" class.

Now Enter the Practiced Spellcaster Trick

Originally Posted by From the Complete Magus Text
...At 1st, 4th, and 7th level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in your arcane spellcasting class with the lowest caster level...
(Empahsis Mine)

The determining factor of what is the lower caster level is your caster level (not the level of spells you can cast).  Practiced Spellcaster allows you to raise the caster level of any of your spellcasting classes by 4, though you can't use it to cast spells above your HD.  Thus in the above example  
if you were to take as your 3rd level feat Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer) your sorcerer caster level would be 5 at level 3 (though since you only have 3 HD, it is limited to 3).  When your about to enter Ultimate Magus at level 6 your caster level is 5 sorcerer, 4 wizard; thus your wizard side is progressed in both a caster level and a spell known level.  When you are about to get Ultimate Magus 4, your cl for sorcerer and wizard are tied at 7, thus you get to choose which side you want to progress and lets say you choose wizard.  Now when you are about to enter UM 7 your CL for Sorcerer is 9 and your CL for Wizard is 10 thus your sorcerer side will progress for a CL and SKL.

Makes Sense?

Thus in this above example a
Who takes Practiced Spellcaster at lvl 3 will have a Spells Known of a 18th level wizard, the spells known of a 9th level sorcerer, the actual caster level of a 22th level wizard and the actual caster level of a 17th level sorcerer.

c)   Precocious Apprentice
   d)   Discuss the possible adaptation suggested if you use two spontaneous classes, minor comments though for I am focusing on the “real” version and not the adaptation.

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
4)  Base Class Combinations/Prestige Class possibilities analysis

Base Classes prepared from spellbook side
  • Wizard
    The main way you are going to do Ultimate Magus, and the class you are most likely going to focus on.
    (Need to add more)
  • Wu Jen
    An alternative to wizard, if you want a different spell list from wizard.  Wizard is just better though ;)
    (Explain why just incase we have people who are new to the CO board)

Base Classes prepared from  spontaneous side

Good Classes  :clap

Sorcerer (PHB/SRD)

Advantages
  • Many Sorcerer only feats/spells.  Some of them very good
  • You can pick your spells on your sorcerer spell list.
  • Can turn UM in a (9/11) Spellcasting Class for wizard with practiced spellcaster
Disadvantages
  • Cha Based Spellcasting thus low bonus spells and dcs on your Sorc Side
(Need to add more)

Bard (PHB/SRD)

Advantages
  • Many Bard only feats or spells, thus you are expanding the type of spells you can learn.  Some Bard spells are versions of spells from other classes that
  • 6+Int Skills
Disadvantages
  • Need to take 2 levels of Bard to get
  • Can turn UM into a 10/12 primary prc with practiced spellcaster but only if you forfeit 4th level metamagic spell sacking on your Bard Side (thus applying those metamagics to your wizard spells).
  • Else an 9/12 primary prc.
  • Slower Spellcasting progression.  Doesn’t get 4th level spells until your 10th Spell Known Level
(Need to add more)

Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror)

Advantages
  • If your undead, or you take Tomb Tainted Soul you can heal yourself with negative energy which you can create at will
  • Same Spell Level Progression as a Sorcerer
  • More Spells Known than a Sorcerer of Similar Level
  • Can turn UM in a (9/11) Spellcasting Class for wizard with practiced spellcaster
Disadvantages
  • Cha Based Spellcasting
  • Your have a fixed spell list focusing on Necromancy

(Need to add more)
[/list]

Beguiler (Players Handbook II)

Advantages
  • Int Based Spellcasting
  • 6+Int Skills, That is 24 Skill points extra if you take Beguiler as your First Level.
  • Trapfinding
Disadvantages
  • Your have a fixed spell list focusing on Illusion and Enchantment, but it is a pretty nice spell list.(Need to add more)

Warmage (Complete Arcana)

Advantages
  • Warmage Edge: You can add your int modifer to any damage spell you cast on your Warmage Side, synergizes great with wizard since you already have a high int for wizard.
Disadvantages
  • Cha Based Spellcasting thus low bonus spells and low DCs
  • Your have a fixed spell list focusing on Evocation and Damage spells.(Need to add more)

Bad Base Classes Spontaneous Side   :nonono

Duskblade (Players Handbook II)

Advantages
  • +1 BAB
  • Good Fort and Will
  • Int Based Spellcasting
  • Proficent with all martial weapons and shields (except tower)
  • If you go all the way to 3rd level you can arcane channel touch a spell and still do an attack as a standard action.
Disadvantages
  • Very slow spell level progression (3rd level spells at 9 SNL, 4th level spells at 13th level)

It could be worse, but a plain sorcerer is better than this.  The BAB, and Proficent with all martial weapons and shields allows a decent gish, but a decent gish doesn’t get many benefits from Ultimate Magus Levels.  If you want a gish there are better builds but I will list later some UM gish builds

Hexblade (Complete Arcane)

Advantages
  • +1 BAB
  • Arcane Resistance at 2nd level
  • Mettle at 3rd
Disadvantages
  • Cha Based Casting

How about you just don’t take this class, it doesn’t synergize at all with Ultimate Magus.  Though if you need Cha to Saves vs Spells and Mettle anyway for your wizard you can take Ultimate Magus.  But there is little synergy at all from a Char Op point.  

Spell Thief (Complete Adventurer)
How about you just don’t take this class, it doesn’t synergize at all with Ultimate Magus.  Don’t do it.
Note from Korwin: Except as a one Level Dip for Master Spellthief, but even then you need another class for the Spontaneus Side for Ultimate Magus

Prestige Classes spontaneous side

Assassin (DMG/SRD)

Advantages
  • Int based spellcasting
  • Unique list with some good spells
  • Will net 4th level spells on the Assassin Side
Disadvantages
  • You will get more total spells to sacrifice with a Beguiler.  About equal with a sorcerer
  • No 5th level spells for Persistent metamagic
  • Assassin is a good class for Ultimate Magus due to the fact you can qualify for it starting level 6 and it skills is based off Intelligence.

Suel Arcanamach
Suel Arcanamach is not a good class due to the high BAB requirement, forget this one.  

Nar Demonbinder

This class was practically made for Ultimate Magus.  A normal wizard can get into it without dipping into other classes just plain wiz 7, only two feats (iron will and conjuration) and some skill points.  It gives spontaneous spells up to 8th level, a caster level based off your wizard caster level, and an interesting first level ability.  If you Nar Demonbinder as your spontaneous side of UM and practiced Spellcaster Nar Demonbinder, UM is effectively a 10/11 prestige class.

At first glance it appears you can’t enter UM with Nar Demonbinder since it first level only gives you 4th and 5th level spell slots with spells you must select from a specialized list, and this list has no 1st level spells.  Thus by itself you can’t cast 1st level spells and no UM for you :( .  But this all changes with a feat that grants spells, such as Arcane Disciple or Mother Cyst.  Now you can have access to

Oh did I mention Nar Demonbinder gives you access to the Blasphemy (The evil version of Holy Word) and allows you to modify it so it acts as Holy Word, Dictum, or Word of Chaos *insert evil smiley here*.  Add that to your already high caster level thanks to arcane power and well… *insert smiley here*

Other ways to boost caster power can be located here.

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=615672   Sublime Chord
Talk about how the Sublime Chord is not really as good as it seems for due to the high skill point requirements, and how there are no feats that grant perform and listen as a class skills.  Thus you must take two levels (lvl 9 and 10) in a class that has one of those as a class skill.
Explain the multiple ways you can possible read the Sublime Chord caster level, and how quickly it becomes a headache.

Nar Demonbinder is better from an optimization standpoint.

(Need to add a lot more about the Sublime Chord)

Instead of taking Bard 2 here are classes that I have found that will give +1CL  for the wizard side and has required skills for sublime chord.  Thus reducing sublime chord to a 10/12 Class.  (I searched the Crystal Keep sources, for I am lazy and don't want to look at all my books, any classes you can find that can add to this list will be great. ;) )
  • Alienist (Complete Arcane) Listen, Profession,
  • Arcane Trickster(DMG) Listen, Profession,
  • Earth Dreamer(Races of Stone) Listen.
  • Evereskan Tomb Guardian (Player’s Guide to Faerun) Listen, Profession,
  • Ruathar (Races of the Wild) Listen, Profession
  • Hathran (Players Guide to Faerun) Perform, Profession
  • Loremaster (DMG) Perform, Profession  
Tell me the unique arcane classes I have forgot, I know there is many I aint going to search all my books for all of them.[/list]

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
5) Toppers and Prefillers Prestige Classes

Archmage
Human Paragon
Elf Paragon
Incantatrix
Warweaver
Shadowcraft Mage
Mage of Arcane Order

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »
6) Putting it all together (Phoenix00’s famous Charts)

Spells Known at all 20 levels

Pure Wizard vs Ultimate Magus without Practiced Spellcaster (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Cha)
(click to show/hide)

Pure Wizard vs Ultimate Magus without Practiced Spellcaster (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Int)
(click to show/hide)

Pure Wizard vs Ultimate Magus with Practiced Spellcaster (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Cha)
(click to show/hide)

Pure Wizard vs Ultimate Magus with Practiced Spellcaster (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Int)
(click to show/hide)

Insert Chart comparing Pure Wizard with Ultimate Magus "Practiced Spellcaster Build+Krau" (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Cha)
Insert Chart comparing Pure Wizard with Ultimate Magus "Practiced Spellcaster Build+Krau" (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Int)

----------
Pure Wizard vs Nar Demonbinder Ultimate Magus with Practiced Spellcaster (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Cha)
(click to show/hide)

Insert Chart comparing Pure Wizard with "Traditional" Ultimate Magus Sublime Chord build (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Cha)
Insert Chart comparing Pure Wizard with Shadowcraft the Sublime Way Ultimate Magus (Prepared Int, Spontaneous Side Cha)

Any other major builds you will want me to add charts with?

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
7) Prepared/Spontaneous utilizing Base Spell lists

Traditonal Ultimate Magus Build
Wizard 2/Spontaneous Class 1/Wizard +2(4)/Ultimate Magus 10/X 5
Without Practiced Spellcaster Trick
16 SKL Wizard ACL 20
11 SKL Spontaneous Class ACL 15
With Practiced Spellcaster Trick on the Spontaneous Side(Taken before level 9)
18 SKL Wizard ACL 22
9 SKL Spontaneous Class ACL 17

Human Magus
Wizard 1/Spontaneous Class 1/Human Paragon 3/Ultimate Magus 10/X 5
Uses the Practiced Spellcaster (Spontaneous Class) trick
18 SKL Wizard ACL 22
8 SKL Spontaneous Class ACL 16
Grabs an extra bonus feat, an +2 Ability Boost to a Stat, One Skill is always class skill

Elf Magus
Wizard 1/Spontaneous Class 1/Elf Paragon 3/Ultimate Magus 10/X 5
Uses the Practiced Spellcaster (Spontaneous Class) trick
18 SKL Wizard ACL 22
8 SKL Spontaneous Class ACL 16
Grabs , an +2 Ability Boost to Int, Weapon Focus, some minor other things

The “High Archmage”
Wizard 2/Spontaneous Class 1/Wizard +2(4)/Ultimate Magus 10/Archmage 5

Persistent Dragon Ultimate Magus
Sorcerer 1/Wizard 4/Ultimate Magus 10/X 4
Take Dragonwraught as your 1st level feat.
Take Practiced Spellcaster at 3rd level, but at UM 1 take the advancement in Wizard, but at UM 4, and 7 take the advancement in sorcerer.  This is due to the fact you need 10 SKL to net 5th level spells on the Sorc side, so you can sacrifice them for Persistent Metamagic on the Wizard Side.
Take Practical Metamagic Persistent at lvl 15.

Persistent Metamagic UserSpontaneous 1/Wizard 4/Ultimate Magus 10/X 4
Similar to above, but use Easy Metamagic from Dragon (Get the Number) instead of Practical Metamagic.  Will need 5th level spells though.

The Ultimate Magus Gish
Duskblade 3/Wizard 2/Ultimate Magus 6/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 8
or
Duskblade 3/Wizard 2/Ultimate Magus 6/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 3/Abraunt Champion 5
BAB of 16, Wizard Casting of 16 spell level, Duskblade Casting of 7 (2nd level spells), Arcane Channel any touch spell as a standard action into an attack.  All works on Int.

Warweaver Wizard/Bard.  Use your bard spells to buff with either your bard or your wizard spells.  Additionally you can persist spells by sacrificing your wizard slots.

Shadowcraft Magus
Beguiler 1/Wizard 4/UM 4/Shadowcraft Mage 3/UM +6(UM 10)/Shadowcraft Mage +2 (SCM 5)
Or
Beguiler 1/Wizard 4/UM 4/Shadowcraft Mage 3/UM +6(UM 10)/Wizard +1 (Wizard 5)/X 1
18 Wizard SKL, 22 ACL Wizard
9 Beguiler SKL, 17 ACL Beguiler
Uses Practiced Spellcaster.
You now use your beguiler side for the casting of silent, minor image, and major image and then sacrifice the wizard spell slot to heighten that slot to the one you want.  With Earth spell you are actually 1 level ahead or tied with a typical wizard in the highest spell known for Conjuration and Evocation spells, until lvl 14 when you are tied when you use Earth Spell for Conjuration and Evocation spells.[/INDENT]

Give me builds, there are far more than this

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »
8. Accelerated/Unique Spell list builds

a)   Other Accelerated/Unique Builds

[INDENT]The Magus Assassin
Rogue 1/Wizard 3/Spellthief 1/Assassin 1/UM 10/Arcane Trickster 4
Feats
1 Two Weapon Fighting
1 (via Human or Flaw) Arcane Disciple (Competition, Orc, or War)  (Complete Divine)
1 Craven (Champions of Ruin)
3 Extend Spell
6 Practiced Spellcaster Assassin
9 Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior)
12 Persist Spell
15 Quicken Spell
18 Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Need to sneak in practiced Spellcaster at the 6th level.

17 Wizard SKL, 21 ACL Wizard
8 Assassin SKL, 16 ACL Assassin

Persist Wraithstrike
Persist Divine Power

7 Touch Attacks where you a person also has his dex bonus denied with Full BAB+Arcane Strike.  Effectively all your attacks will hit every time when you sneak attack.

7*(5d6 (Sneak Attack)+xd4 (Arcane Strike)+Weapon Damage+Weapon Enhancements+20 (Craven))=The monster you are attacking equals dead

You will need both a high Int, a high Con, and a good dex, thus this build is only good for high powered games.  I recommend you grab a spell storing dagger and have vampire touch ready just in case.  Always be sneaky with this character for one barrage and you are dead.  Has Golemstrike so only real fear you have is undead, (plants, and some wierd creatures), and if the DM throws those at you can always buy some cheap bane daggers.  Additionally you can steal gravestrike from your party cleric/paladin. Finally you can steal 0 and 1st level spells not on your list and then apply metamagic to those spells.

Doesn’t really become powerful till lvl 12.  Build is similar to the typical "traditional" Arcane Trickster except you can do TWF well and you have access to wizard and assassin spells.[/INDENT]
b)   Nar Demonbinder

[INDENT]A different form of Incantatrix
   Wizard 5/Incantatrix 3/Nar Demonbinder 1/UM 10/Incantatrix +1(4)
With Practiced Spellcaster Nar Demonbinder
Either Arcane Disciple (Any) on the Nar Demonbinder side at 9th level or Mother Cyst at 9th level or prior or some other way to add a 1st level spell to the Demonbinder spell list
Requires Iron Will and a Metamagic prior to lvl 6
Requires Skill Focus Conjuration prior to level 9

19 SKL Wizard (Int Casting) thus 9th level spells.  23 ACL
8 SKL (Cha casting) thus 8th level spells (including some cleric only spells), 24 ACL
1 Wizard Bonus Feats, 2 Incantatrix Bonus Feats, 2 Ultimate Magus Bonus Feats
Metamagic Effect
Cooperative Metamagic

Deadly Circle Magic
Wizard 7/Hathran 5/Nar Demonbinder 1/Ultimate Magus 7
Need to have one of your Ultimate Magus levels go to the Nar Demonbinder side so you will get your 7th level spells and thus Blasphemy/Holy Word/Dictum/Word of Chaos
SKL 18 Wizard ACL 21
SKL 7 Nar Demonbinder ACL 21 (Assuming no Practiced Spellcaster, if Practiced Spellcaster is take as your 18th level feat then 23 don’t take it before or you won’t get Blasphemy/Holy Word/Dictum/Word of Chaos)
Circle Magic, able to boost your Caster Level to up to 40.  Very deadly when combine with Blasphemy type spells
Spontaneously sacrifice a prepared spell to cast a spell of equal level that you know (unlimited times in Rashemen, 1/day outside Rashemen)
Requires Ethran and Leadership prior to lvl 8.  
Requires Iron Will, Spell Focus Conjuration prior to lvl 11
Requires a way to get a lvl 1 spell prior to level 12

or

Wizard 5/Red Wizard 5/Nar Demonbinder 1/Ultimate Magus 9
SKL 19 Wizard, ACL 24
SKL 8 Nar Demonbinder ACL 25
Circle Magic, able to boost your Caster Level to up to 40.  Very deadly when combine with Blasphemy type spells
Enhanced Specialization (Must forfeit another school)
Casterlevel +2 from Red Wizard (Spellpower), +3 from Ultimate Magus (Arcane Spell Power)
1 Wizard Bonus Feat, 1 Red Wizard Bonus Feat
Requires Tattoo Focus prior to lvl 6
Requires Iron Will, Spell Focus Conjuration prior to lvl 11
Requires a way to get a lvl 1 spell prior to level 12

Demon Magic Expert
Wizard 5/Mage of Arcane Order 3/Nar Demonbinder 1/Mage of Arcane Order +1(4)/Ultimate Magus 10
Requires 1 metamagic and Cooperative Spell by lvl 6.
Requires Skill Focus Conjuration, Iron Will prior to level 9, Take Arcane Disciple at 9, Practiced Spellcaster (Nar Demonbinder) at 12
Have access of lvl 1 to 6 spells with the Spellpool.
Can use the spellpool with your Nar Demonbinder spell slots, but you need the feat arcane preparation to pay off debt with your Nar Demonbinder spells slots.
Use the spell Mnemonic Enhancer and Mage’s Lucubration to be able to gain knowledge of any spell from the spellpool, these spells will allow you to prepare an additional copy of that spell which then allows you to scribe into your spellbook up to 5th level (for free with the Blessed Spellbook ;) ).
19 SKL Wizard, thus 9th level spells, Wizard ACL of 23
8 SKL Nar Demonbinder thus 8th level spells.  Nar Demonbinder ACL of 24[/INDENT]

c)   Sublime Chord Builds

[INDENT]Traditional Sublime Chord Ultimate Magus Build
Wizard 8/Bard 2/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 9

Sublime Shadowcraft
Wizard 7/Shadowcraft Mage 3/Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 8

Stargazer Guild Magus
Bard 1/Wizard 5/Mage of Arcane Order 4/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 9
Requires Chaotic Alignment
Requires Flexible Mind(Dragon #326) taken before lvl 9 (Get it as soon as possible) choose Listen and Perform as your permanent class skills.
Requires 1 metamagic and Cooperative Spell at lvl 6.
Have access of lvl 1 to 6 spells with the Spellpool.
Can use the spellpool with your sublime chord spell slots, but you need the feat arcane preparation to pay off debt with your sublime chord spells slots.
Wizard bonus feat at 6, bonus metamagic feat at 8, bonus metamagic feat at 15, bonus metamagic feat at 20
Use the spell Mnemonic Enhancer and Mage’s Lucubration to be able to gain knowledge of any spell from the spellpool, these spells will allow you to prepare an additional copy of that spell which then allows you to scribe into your spellbook up to 5th level (for free with the Blessed Spellbook ;) ).
18 SKL Wizard, thus 9th level spells
7 SKL Sublime Chord thus 8th level spells.[/INDENT]

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
9) Feats
   Any feat that is normally good for a wizard.   

Metamagic Feats are especially good for the UM due to your ability to sack spell slots from one of your sides to apply metamagic with no level adjustment.  Some notable ones are.
      Quicken Spell
      Persistent Spell, Requires Extend
      Twin Spell

Easy Metamagic (Dragon 325):  Reduces the Metamagic cost of one Metamagic Feat by one.  Thus allowing your Augmented Casting(Su) To become applicable for Persistent Metamagic.
   Practical Metamagic (Races of the Dragon), Requires Dragonblood Subtype: Reduces the Metamagic cost of one Metamagic Feat by one.  Thus allowing your Augmented Casting(Su) To become applicable for Persistent Metamagic.
   Metamagic School (Complete Mage)

Give me input here please

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
10) Tricks

Expanded Spell Knowledge  This class ability allows you to launder spells that you know from your Wizard List over to your Spontaneous List.  This wouldn't seem as an ability you can use as a trick, for after all most wizard spells are also sorcerer spells.  (Keyword Most ;) )

Expanded Spell Knowledge (Arcane Disciple)Now if you taken the arcane disciple feat on your wizard side you are limited to only 1 casting of this spell per day.  If you launder it over with expanded spell knowledge you may cast this spell as long as you have slots for it.  Add the fact that domain spells are often divine spells that wizard or sorcerers don't have access to and you can get a forbidden spell.  (divine power comes to mind, but note your hps are going to be low, anybody with some good ideas for "must have" 5th level or lower domain spells or lower please post them)

Expanded Spell Knowledge (Wizard Only Spells): similar to above, but you can also launder wizard only spells to your sorcerer list.  If you launder Mnemonic Enhancer over to the Spontaneous side you may now "break up" your spontaneous slots to allow you to prepare more copies of any wizard spell you have 3rd level or below.  

(If anybody else knows of any good wizard only spells post them, there is also mage lubrication but you won't be able to get that till epic.)

Taking a level of a non spellcasting class prior to level 6:  This trick only works if you are already taking practiced spellcaster and are planning for a "base class spontaneous sorc (or sorc like) build" which doesn't have a caster level that is dependent on your wizard level.  Due to the skill point requirements of ultimate magus you can't enter it till level 6, even though you only require 3 levels of wizard, and 1 level of a spontaneous caster.  Normally you assume just take another level of wizard so you have a higher wizard SKL.  It is true if you take 4 levels of wizard, and 1 of spontaneous caster you will have a higher caster level and SKL, until level 12 (Ultimate Magus 7).  At this time the caster level difference between your spontaneous side and wizard side has caught up and your wizard side is greater.  At level 5 you had a caster level difference of +1, which was lowered to +0 and -1 with UM 1 and UM 4.  Thus its inevitable for you to progress your Spotaneous Side with UM 7.  Now if you are using a Sorcerer, Beguiler, Warmage, Dread Necro or similar class there is really no advancement from the final endpoint of SKL 8 and SKL 9.  One extra 4th level spell whipee.  If you were to take a different base or prestige class prior to level 5, lets say monk 1 (with Kung Fu Genius or Candemine Monk), Human Paragon 3, Fighter for Bonus Feat, etc your difference between your wizard caster level and your sorcerer caster level is +2 instead of +1, thus at UM 7 you advance your wizard side instead of your sorc side.  You are trading that 1 SKL of Spontaneous Spells (which is only 1 more 4th level spell) for a bonus feat or some other benefit.  Additionally now from levels 5 to 11 you will be 2 SKL behind a "Pure Wizard" instead of 1, but this can be a good trade off, for no matter what with a "base class spontaneous sorc (or sorc like) build" you were going to be 2 SKL behind a pure wizard at and after level 12 even with the practiced spellcaster trick.

Give me input here for other tricks with Ultimate Magus.

Here are some threads of people who made all the legal persistent spells
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=477252 Persistent Spells for Wizards
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=136060 Persistent Spells for Clerics (Will need to do some laundering to put it on your prepared or spontaneous side.)
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=407298 Another Presistent Spell List though Divine Sources.

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
11)   Reserved

This guide is very preliminary and I am still writing it.  It is just easier to write it as I go along due to all the formatting issues.  Figured I might as well get some initial input while I write it.

12)   Special Thanks to
I want to give special thanks for several ideas from sparkster4242  you can read his own thread here
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=721891

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 02:00:26 PM »
Posted orginally here:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=15093365&postcount=363

Race: Human
Beguiler 1/Wizard 5/Spellthief 1/Unseen Seer 2/Ulitmate Magus 10/Paragnostic Apostle 1
(click to show/hide)

Level by level (Stuff from Class levels, Stuff from Char. Levels),
(click to show/hide)

Caster Level at the end is 31.
would be 33 with Illumian, and possible/arguable 43 with Illumian and three times Practiced Spellcaster, but even if you DM would let that go [3 times Practiced Spellcaster in combination with Master Spellthief] its IMHO not worth... There arent that many uncapped Spells...

Variants I plan to use
(click to show/hide)

Simple Tactics:
Persistent Spell on: Hunters Eye, Divine Power, Wraithstrike.
Go to the enemy, flank the guy (+12d6 sneak attack) and quicken Dimension Hop away.

Offline Korwin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
I dont plan on working on this, so if someone likes to take over --> THANK YOU!
Links will probably not work...

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
Only your Lower Level Arcane Casting progresses at levels 1,7, and 10 of Ultimate Magus.  More about that later.
It's at 1/4/7, not 1/7/10.

For the Sorcerer entry, I recommend being a Kobold. You can take Greater Draconinc Rite of Passage to further boost your Sorcerer casting by 1 level, letting you either get 5th level spells on the Sorcerer side or (better yet) progress your primary casting (ie: Wizard) at every level of UM (making it effectively a 10/11 casting class). If you add in Dragonwrought and the Loredrake archetype for another 2 Sorcerer levels, you also have the option to get 6th level spells Sorcerer side, which means free Persist on your 5th level and lower spells.

Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster can both be used to great effect with this class. It costs you another caster level, but progressing the class features means more casting on both sides at every level, more uses of Augmented Casting, and a higher level of spells affected by Augmented Casting. A Kobold Wiz 4/Sorc 1/UM 10/Legacy Champion 5 with Greater Draconic Rite of Passage casts as a Wiz 18, Sorc 13, with 10 daily uses of Augmented Casting on spells up to 7th level. My numbers may be off, though, because I'm not sure if LC's second dead level is a 5th or 6th.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
Knight of the Weave works wonders.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 05:59:56 AM »
Sinfire has moved this thread to Handbooks. for everyone who wants to discuss the handbook, I made a discussion thread here.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.