Author Topic: The Long Road to Glory  (Read 94507 times)

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road to Glory
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »
Claire brings her right hand on her chest next to her heart, lowering her head a little, and she says: "Your thoughts were only directed towards protecting her, were they?"

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
  • I should've seen that coming
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2012, 11:43:49 PM »
"Yes ma'am," the young man replies, giving Claire a solemn nod.

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »
Claire gets her head up slowly. Smiling at the young man, she replies happily: "I see! My name is Claire, Claire of Embers. What is yours?"

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2012, 01:18:13 AM »
Based on the room to the left, Alth got the impression this woman was at least well read.  Once he got the overview of the ground floor, he turned to the man.

"Did you find anything of interest on these men?

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:09 AM »
"Upstairs, is she? I'll let you lead the way."
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:35 AM »
"My name is Akurei," he says in answer to Claire's question. "As for the men, I hadn't searched them yet. I was too busy dealing with all of the other things going on. Feel free to search them if you like."

Akurei gives Artur a nod before proceeding upstairs, motioning for the adventurers to follow him. Once on the second floor, a short hallway can be seen, with a door on either side and a third door at the end of the hall. Akurei gives a short series of knocks on the left door, and after a moment the sound of a lock being drawn back can be heard. Cautiously emerging from the room is a young woman garbed in a dark blue tunic. Soft copper scales cover her body, long white hair reaches down to her waist, and a pair of vestigial horns grow back from her brow and reach the back of her head. She casts her worried eyes in the group's direction.

"Hello?" she asks timidly.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2012, 06:14:28 AM »
Alth rocked between the balls of his feet and his heels before deciding to search the men instead of heading up to talk with Voitheia.  Since he didn't want to appear rude or suspicious, he spoke up to let the others know what he was doing.

"Forgive me for not accompanying you right away, but I feel it wise to inspect these two just in case they are more than regular disgruntled townsfolk."  They'd probably call him paranoid, but he was of the opinion that just because one isn't paranoid doesn't mean others aren't out to get them.  With that in mind, he took extra care to examine the dead men.

(click to show/hide)

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
Each dead fellow has
Rolled 1d4+1 : 3 + 1, total 4

gold coins in their pockets.

In addition, Alth finds a small black bottle on one of them.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »
Alth pockets the coins, then looks over the black bottle.

Appraise 1d20+3=17

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
It is a single dose of Medium Scorpion Poison.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2012, 01:01:06 AM »
Alth sighed as he figured out what the bottle contained.  Poison was never a good sign.  The mens' daggers didn't seem to be interesting, and he didn't feel like taking them to sell later.  After making sure they had nothing else of note, he walked up the stairs and joined the rest.

(I'll chime in once some conversation has started. Two minutes should be enough for pleasantries.)

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
The girl stands cautiously next to Akurei, clearly shaken by the attack on her home. Akurei places his hand on her shoulder in an attempt to ease her worries about the group, then gives her a gentle  push forward in a silent urging for her to speak.

"I am Voithia," the spellscale says quietly at last. "Who are you?"

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:51 PM »
Claire replies calmly: "Uhm.. Please, excuse us for this impromptu visit.. My name.. is Claire, Claire of Embers. Aside from us here, one of our companions is downstairs searching the bodies of the two men Akurei protected you from. Another one of us are guarding the front door as we speak. Akurei was kind enough to let us meet you.. just so we could have a little chat, if it does not bother you, of course."

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »
"What is it that you want to know?" the spellscale asks hesitantly. "I will answer your questions as best I can."

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
Artur walked up to the lady, and bowed.

"I am Sir Artur Draak. I guess the first question that's on my mind is why do so many people believe that you're the one behind the disappearance of the man, Toran McGraham? What was your relationship with him?"
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »
"Toran and I were friends and colleagues. We researched draconian history, trying to separate reality from myth in the hopes of garnering some kernel of valuable knowledge. Toran was obsessed with the secret magic dragons are rumored to keep, while I was more interested in learning more about my own draconian heritage. We knew that there may be some risk involved in attempting to peer at the knowledge of dragons, but we thought we could keep the danger to ourselves minimal by hiring out adventurers to explore the places we thought may contain something pertinent to our research. He was paid quite well for delivering our findings to the king, and he received much recognition as well. I was happy to just be helping Toran."

Voitheia pauses, wiping a tear from her eye.

"A few weeks ago, I was able to translate and decode an encrypted a book that was written in a combination of draconic and goblinoid. The book hinted at the existance of a very ancient and still active cult that worships some vile dragon god. It also detailed a handful of possible locations for where the cult's stronghold could be. When I showed my findings to Toran, he got very upset with me and told me not to look into it further. I eventually got him to change his mind, and we set about for days researching the cult and talking to people who we thought might know something. We weren't able to learn much, so we had resolved to hire out a group of adventurers to go explore the locations we thought the cult might be located."

Her shoulders shudder with grief as she relays the final piece of information.

"I was over at his house ... the night Toran disappeared. He was fussing with the stew he had in the copper, and I was in the bath at the time. I heard a window break, and I heard Toran scream. I was so scared, I didn't know what to do. I hid until the noises stopped, then I grabbed a robe and ran out to see what had happened. The room was in shambles and Toran was gone, so I gathered up as much of our work as I could and ran away. I didn't stop running until I got home and locked the door. It's all my fault he's gone ..."

For getting her to tell her story without using force, and for avoiding combat with Akurei, you each gain 300 exp.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »
Alth had come up the stairs by the time Voitheia finished talking.  Even downstairs he had managed to hear all of it.

When she finished, he introduced himself and bowed.

"Miss Voitheia, my name is Alth.  I finished searching the men and found this vial of poison on one of them.  After hearing your story about your research and what happened with Toran, I believe the cult sent them to abduct you.  It's possible they will try again too, and with greater effort."

Alth sighed heavily and tapped his foot a little in contemplation.

"Besides Toran's kidnapping, has there been anything strange occur since you've started your research?"

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2012, 11:38:40 PM »
"What hasn't been strange lately?" Voitheia replies with a heavy sigh. "I've received threatening letters practically every day, my friends and neighbors have all turned violently against me, I've been having terribly nightmares, and to top it all off a strange man showed up in my kitchen yesterday and explains that he has been assigned to protect me until it is deemed no longer necessary. Of course he won't tell me who sent him, why they want me protected, or even his last name."

"No need to make me sound so cryptic," Akurei laughs sheepishly.

Offline lans

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
In order to end this, we must put our attention towards solving this

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »
Alth eyed Akurei for a moment.

"But you are.  My gut says you're trustworthy, but the fact that you won't give out certain information means you're a mystery.  Alton has a point though, we have a more pressing mystery than your last name, Akurei.  Voitheia, may I see your research on this cult?  You mentioned they might have camps, and I'd bet a few gold Toran was taken to one of them."

(So much for him being quiet eh?  lol)