Author Topic: ... the UA Monk storm ...  (Read 6915 times)

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
Re: ... the UA Monk storm ...
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
Mearls and Crawford admit the Kensei is a clusterfuck RAW.  The Kensei weapon is supposed to work with Martial Arts, apparently.  All that math was for nothing and Kensei 1.0 would be the highest consistent damage monk in exchange for no burst move and little utility.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/808904018265341952

Mike is also demonstrating his lack of knowledge of his own system, claiming the intent was for Kensei weapons to work with Martial Arts but not with Flurry of Blows, when RAW is Kensei weapons work with Flurry of Blows but Martial Arts.

Unsurprisingly, Strength crossbows were not intended:
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/808851295985549312

It's such a clusterfuck, the Kensei will probably just get a re-write in the future, as they already had a plan B ready:
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/808848455338577920
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:05:34 AM by TenaciousJ »
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 05:25:21 PM »
Huh, well that's a first for them.

For posterity ... hopefully someone with better pdf-fu than I, keeps a copy of it.

Tranq 11 again again, perhaps a Find Familiar can deliver this touch attack?  Might be a little too much houserule-y than 5e style "rulings".
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:27:42 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 06:31:29 PM »
It might be worth pushing to Tranquility 3 with aniMonk Druid builds now. 30pts is about 6 2/3rds lvl 1 slots of healing, which is quite a bit, even if it takes an action to use them. Big heals or small, you're covered. A bit of missile defense, flurries and movement probably isn't worth two extra monk levels, but with the healing it might be ok'ish.

Not great compared to just one level of monk xp-wise, but at least there's some payoff for it now. It saves you dropping your WS to heal someone else too, because it's not casting. Kind of like having a decent cure wounds and lesser restoration always available in WS, saving 2 prepared spell slots as well, which is actually pretty nice for druids. Never overheal, or under-roll with those "slots" either. Facetanking traps has never felt so serene :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:37:18 PM by sambojin »

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 07:15:16 PM »
Huh, well that's a first for them.

For posterity ... hopefully someone with better pdf-fu than I, keeps a copy of it.
My group has a dropbox that we keep all our 5e pdfs in, and I know at least /tg/ on 4chan archives everything.  I'm sure someone on reddit does the same.  I keep local copies of everything too.

Re-write I would assume just means the design will be abandoned for further iteration, like Ambuscade ranger, and the article will remain as-is.

Tranq 11 again again, perhaps a Find Familiar can deliver this touch attack?  Might be a little too much houserule-y than 5e style "rulings".

Find Familiar only allows the familiar to deliver spells.  You'd have to rule the ability a spell, which opens up the effect to stuff like Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Antimagic Field, etc. to negate the effect.  It's a bit stronger IMO as a non-magical effect, even if that cuts out familiar abuse.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »
Nuts but I still like that 11 ability.

The Ki Points could be thought of, like the Warlock Slots.
1 point for Cantrips is more expensive than normal casters,
but better than none at all like Paladin or Ranger.
2 and 3 points for 1s and 2s, is right on schedule.
4 5 and 6 points for 3s 4s and 5s, is a 1 point discount on the spell point schedule.
Almost makes up for the cantrip cost.
Warlock has 24 points at level 17 on this scale (not counting cantrips).

It's better than the Half Casters, but would need lots more stuff to make it equal powered.
Your codpiece is a mimic.