Author Topic: Fun Finds v4.0  (Read 327972 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Fun Finds v4.0
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:49:11 AM »
Here's the new thread. Woooo!

post some crazy stuff.

on Planewalker.org, there's a Dustman faction feat that allows you to worship no deity and choose any domains. This means you don't have to talk to your DM about 'worshipping' a concept.

edit: that's called Priest of the Great Unknown, there's a second called Renewed Faith that undoes loss of claws feature and turns your divine spells into a third type of magic (belief magic)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:01:27 PM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v4.0
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
I do have to ask: the old 50 page deal was because of limitations of the old boards.  Since we moved, do we still need to split after 50 pages?
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
I do have to ask: the old 50 page deal was because of limitations of the old boards.  Since we moved, do we still need to split after 50 pages?

It helps for indexing later. I suspect someone is going to come by and sort the fun finds threads one day, and it will be useful to have them split.

Maybe I'll do it.
EDIT: DOIN IT.
EDIT2: NEVERMIND, NO WAY.

My fun find isn't a specific rule tidbit, but an amusing concept my group ran into. We adopted Pathfinder's Feat Progression, along with antifeats, then realized that this grants a feat at every level. I'm going to make a martial dip character that picks up a feat from the class as well...40+ feats!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:40:25 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Rebel7284

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

It helps for indexing later. I suspect someone is going to come by and sort the fun finds threads one day, and it will be useful to have them split.

Maybe I'll do it.

How is indexing multiple threads any easier than indexing one thread?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »

Maybe I'll do it.

How is indexing multiple threads any easier than indexing one thread?

Partitioning the work. I suppose page numbers work for that, but redundant partitioning is easier on the human mind.

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »
Here's a few fun ones:

Exoticist is a Fighter variant from Dragon 310.  You trade proficiency in all martial weapons for 4 exotic weapons.  Additionally, one of your bonus feats can be Exotic Attack, which is just a +2 bonus on trip attempts with an exotic weapon (and +2 Disarm).  Very useful for Spiked Chain tripper builds.

Corsair is another Fighter variant from the same book.  You lose proficiencies in heavier armors and your skill lists get juggled about, but you gain a few rather silly abilities for free at level 1 and 2.  Only one is really worth considering... the ability to swing on a rope and then bull rush someone, gaining a +1 bonus on the bull rush for every 5' swung.  Could be hilarious, if situational, for Dungencrashers.  You also get the ability to grapple people using swim checks if you're in deep water, which has some interesting potential.

There's also the Fencer variant, which is a heavily Charisma based Fighter.  You have to take 4 levels in it to get the one interesting ability, which lets you make opposed Charisma checks with an enemy as a standard action.  If you win, they take a -2 BAB penalty (yes, that's base attack bonus, which can lower their attacks), with an additional -1 penalty per 5 points you win by.  If you can somehow pump the heck out of your Charisma, this could be very cool... I'm thinking some sort of wacky Arcane Duelist or Iaijutsu Master build.

And finally the one other people have heard of... the Targetteer.  You give up martial melee weapon proficiency for two exotic ranged weapons, and get special bonus feats available to you like "use dex to damage with ranged attacks against enemies vulnerable to crits" and "get two extra ranged attacks but all attacks get -5 to hit."

Arcane Disciple is actually a Cleric variant that gets any Sorcerer/Wizard or Bard spell as a divine spell at each level.  It loses Turn Undead, but their existence could be wonderful for Archivists.

JaronK

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
on Planewalker.org, there's a Dustman faction feat that allows you to worship no deity and choose any domains. This means you don't have to talk to your DM about 'worshipping' a concept.

Sounds like a solid Almighty Janitor. (warning, link leads to tvtropes... you might lose a day or two.)

Those are actually really solid fighter alternatives. I'd imagine a Fencer / Demoralization / Iajitsu Focus character could easily pull off the "ultimate swordsman" style.

Curiousity... if they take a BaB penalty and they have feats that require a certain BaB, do they lose the benefit of those feats?

Offline Lo77o

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »

Sounds like a solid Almighty Janitor. (warning, link leads to tvtropes... you might lose a day or two.)

Those are actually really solid fighter alternatives. I'd imagine a Fencer / Demoralization / Iajitsu Focus character could easily pull off the "ultimate swordsman" style.

Curiousity... if they take a BaB penalty and they have feats that require a certain BaB, do they lose the benefit of those feats?

Yes.. and should they have a PrC that requires BaB +6 and it drops below that, they loose all class features from that PrC as well. Nasty little trick.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
An interesting line in the Plant type entry:

"Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive."

This isn't really obscure since it's the first line in the plant type entry but I've never really seen it brought up before. Can this be abused somehow?

Please, call me Count :).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
What's the duration of the BAB reduction?  It would be hilarious if there wasn't one.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
As per my recent post in v3.0 thread, I'd been looking at crafting Effigies and such, as well some recent discussion about heavy weapons.

This got me thinking about using heavy or special materials in construct creation.

Lo' and behold, we have Living Metal in MoF which repairs itself at 1hp/minute.
Nice if one could use it in the construction of non-Sacred Guarding contructs (which get Fast Healing 5)

There's some discussion on materials here
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=7923.msg123973

It stands to reason the materials would imbue their properties to a construct built from such, although I doubt there are any rules that mention doing so in construction.

Materials like Darksteel are slightly interesting for potential energy resistance and energy damage on natural attacks.
Aurorum could outright reduce much of the threat of the contruct being permanently destroyed.

Offline Forumowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »

"Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive."

This isn't really obscure since it's the first line in the plant type entry but I've never really seen it brought up before. Can this be abused somehow?
Wouldn't Awakening them give them Wis, Cha and Int but didnt actually remove the "are not creatures"? They would have hardness! Just True Mind Switch and you are set.

For the fun finds, I didn't see Selkies being mentioned. Fiend Folio playable race that lets you turn into a seal. How awesome is that?

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »

Wouldn't Awakening them give them Wis, Cha and Int but didnt actually remove the "are not creatures"? They would have hardness! Just True Mind Switch and you are set.

For the fun finds, I didn't see Selkies being mentioned. Fiend Folio playable race that lets you turn into a seal. How awesome is that?

Wow I never noticed that...and that picture is really creeping me out D:. Too bad they aren't that great. 

Also, welcome to the forums!  :D.
Please, call me Count :).

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
Remember that Awaken only works on trees, not other plants.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »

Cover your fortress in ivy, so it's not vulnerable to Disintegrate? 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »

Oh, that's just dirty!  The wizard wastes his disintegrate because it only disintegrates a 10-foot patch of ivy vines...

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »
What's the duration of the BAB reduction?  It would be hilarious if there wasn't one.

Cha mod +1 rounds.  So, nothing huge.  You'd have to really pump charisma to make this worthwhile... and it's not so good for demoralization because you can't combine it with the far superior Zhentarium Fighter.

But something like Fencer 4/Duskblade 1/Warblade 1/Arcane Duelist 10 has some potential.  Takes a while to mature, though.

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
Remember that Awaken only works on trees, not other plants.

people have fruit trees in their garden :)
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »

Oh, that's just dirty!  The wizard wastes his disintegrate because it only disintegrates a 10-foot patch of ivy vines...

No, it's because Disintegrate only affects non-living matter when used on objects ...
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »

No, it's because Disintegrate only affects non-living matter when used on objects ...
Okay... so the disintegrate ignores the ivy? and you are left with a wall of ivy?  :???

Or it just disintegrates a single ivy plant?