Author Topic: Interesting stuff in Pathfinder  (Read 370460 times)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Interesting stuff in Pathfinder
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:47:15 AM »
Reviving the old thread.

Just stumbled across the Enforcer feat, which I'd somehow missed until now. When you attack someone you can Intimidate them as a free action and it lasts a number of rounds equal to the damage dealt(!) Plus, if you're optimising crits in any way there's a 30% chance of frightening for 1 round as well, or you could combine it with a Thug Rogue dip. Combine with this trait or antipaladin's Aura of Cowardice so you can affect more creatures.
Screw you, Cornugon Smash.

Also: rogue archetype which ignores DR/hardness.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:02:50 AM by Prime32 »

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting stuff in Pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »
Yeah, Enforcer is great.  You need to be doing nonlethal, though.  It works well with the Blade of Mercy trait.  If you're doing bludgeoning the trait won't help and you'll need Bludgeoner feat.  But you were probably going that route anyway for Sap Adept /  Sap Master.  It's very feat heavy, but I like a Thug Rogue build with enforcer, bludgeoner, the sap adept/master feats, and Shatter Defenses.  Possibly with an Unarmed Fighter dip to fight unarmed and get Knockout Artist as well.

Unfortunately, I think overall Cornugon Smash is just plain better for anyone who was going to get power attack, even with all the twinking.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile

Offline Curious

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:21:52 AM »
So, here's an interesting combo.  The http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/rake Rogue archetype allows you to make intimidate checks as a free action if you sacrifice one sneak attack dice.  The http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/scout archetype allows you to get a single sneak attack off if you move more than 10 feet in a round.  This is where it gets interesting; http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shatter-defenses-combat---final lets you attack a shaken enemy as if they were flat-footed.  So, combined with some method of free movement, such as http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power/effect-words/accelerate or hustle, you can move and full-sneak-attack, as well as intimidate your enemy.  Not bad.

Offline akalsaris

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I put the laughter in manslaughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
You could also add in the Bandit archetype on top of thug or rake, since it trades different things. That would grant:

Ambush (Ex)
At 4th level, a bandit becomes fully practiced in the art of ambushing. When she acts in the surprise round, she can take a move action, standard action, and swift action during the surprise round, not just a move or standard action.
This ability replaces uncanny dodge.

Fearsome Strike (Ex)
At 8th level, a bandit can terrify an opponent with a single hit. A number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum 1), when a bandit confirms a critical hit and deals sneak attack damage to an opponent, she can choose to make the opponent frightened for a number of rounds equal to her Charisma modifier (minimum 1). She cannot use this ability in conjunction with a critical feat.
This ability replaces uncanny dodge*.

It's kind of overkill, but a rogue 8 could trigger 3 demoralize attempts and a free frighten effect on a single attack by using Rake, Enforcer, Cornugon Smash, and getting a crit with Fearsome Strike. (with a bludgeoning nonlethal attack).

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »
Kitsune can take two feats to gain what's effectively an (Ex) lion's charge 1/2 rounds.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:20:09 AM »
The benefit of Thicket of Blades stance finally can be had in a PF game!  From Ultimate Combat:

Pin Down (Combat)

You easily block enemy escapes.

Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, fighter level 11th.

Benefit: Whenever an opponent you threaten takes a 5-foot step or uses the withdraw action, that opponent provokes an attack of opportunity from you. If the attack hits, you deal no damage, but the targeted creature is prevented from making the move action that granted a 5-foot step or the withdraw action and does not move.

The Fighter level requirement is pretty hefty, but at least acquiring it is otherwise pain free.  I like to see powerful high level feats that don't require massive trees to obtain.   :tup

EDIT: That's supposed to be a thumbs up.  Why's this forum gotta be so negative?  There's a thumbs down emoticon, but no thumbs up.  Boo!  :tdown

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
EDIT: That's supposed to be a thumbs up.  Why's this forum gotta be so negative?  There's a thumbs down emoticon, but no thumbs up.  Boo!  :tdown
:thumb

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »
Was that there all along, or did you add it in?  I swear I didn't see that before today, heh heh.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 02:34:36 PM »
They're starting to add things from the other Dreamscarred Press books.  I'm excited (even though I already own them)!

Offline akalsaris

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I put the laughter in manslaughter!
    • View Profile

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »
This feat is really cool, looking forward to using it a bunch w/ my goblin vivvisectionist beastmorph alchemist.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/roll-with-it-combat-goblin

Negate all the damage from a hit w/ acrobatics check and move away from the foe before he can finish his full attack.  Once I get wings at 6, I'll use it to propel myself airborne.  Once I hit level 10, I'll laugh at the staggered condition and pounce back into melee w/ a full attack on a partial charge.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:36:47 AM »
Goblin punt?
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Fadier

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 04:30:59 AM »
This feat is really cool, looking forward to using it a bunch w/ my goblin vivvisectionist beastmorph alchemist.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/roll-with-it-combat-goblin

Negate all the damage from a hit w/ acrobatics check and move away from the foe before he can finish his full attack.  Once I get wings at 6, I'll use it to propel myself airborne.  Once I hit level 10, I'll laugh at the staggered condition and pounce back into melee w/ a full attack on a partial charge.

I had the same idea when I saw that feat, but was not aware of the Beastmorph class feature. Seems like a good combo. You can pull this off with a Human aswell with Racial Heritage
My gift back to the CO community, The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
PF buffed Animated Dead!  I shouldn't be surprised still by the caster love and yet it still amazes me.  Someone mentioned about using animate dead on the tarrasque, and i was all about to say how you can't, then I check to be sure PF didn't FUBAR anything and...this is why I check.

Skeletons are still limited to 20 HD or less.  But ZOMBIES have no mention at all anymore of a HD cap!  So yeah, enjoy your pet zombie Tarrasque, I guess.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
Found a better reference for the 1
goodie I bring up every now and then.

McPoyo:
Quote from: awaken DM golem on October 27, 2010, 06:44:49 PM

I recall a PF boost, that lets Sorcs trade Skill Points for spells.
Really.
Sorc 1 with Versatile stuff / Rogue maybe Feat Rogue 2 with lots of Int.
trade a whole bunch of those skill points

spells known, to a limit of one level lower than your maximum. It's a favored class choice in the APG for humans. If sorc is your favored class, you can gain an extra spell known instead of an extra skill point or hit point.

:??? ... idk these days (shrug).
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:27 AM »
Oracles and Bards also have that option, though of course it's less amazing on them (still worth it).  I think Summoner is actually the only spont. caster that doesn't have that option as a human.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 10:56:27 PM »
Holy crap!

Check out the PF Roper versus the 3E Roper!  And they're the same CR!

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
Holy crap!

Check out the PF Roper versus the 3E Roper!  And they're the same CR!
Hmm? It doesn't SEEM so bad, in that I think my PF group would crush it like a bug.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »
Well, the differences are just a lot...

HP: 162 vs. 85 (and 12 HD vs. 10)
AC: 27 vs. 24
Phyiscal abilities: 34/13/29 vs. 19/13/17 (mentals the same)
Saves: 13/5/13 vs. 10/8/8
SR: 27 vs. 30 (oh, what a coincidence, look at where it got weaker!  Stay classy, PF!)
Strand DC: 25 vs. 18
Bite attack: +20 for 4d8+18 damage vs. +13 for 2d6+6 damage

Maybe it's still easy to squash at 12.  It just...seems a lot stronger.  And if it catches you by surprise in a tight quarters (Stealth +26 in the only kind of terrain the DM's actually going to place them in), 6 95% hit rate strands with a respectfully difficult DC 25 seems like a near sure thing to incapacitate someone if it focus fires.