Author Topic: Poke-Center (OOC Discussion)  (Read 214547 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Poke-Center (OOC Discussion)
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
Fluff and Crunch questions and fleshing out go here.

Character creation guidelines:

-32pb.
-Standard WBL.
-Up to two flaws and one trait, those must be from the srd only.
-6th level (seems to be the most popular option so far and is generally a good starting level)
-Max HP at first level, then either roll or average (if you roll, you can't pick average).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:05:49 PM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Campaign Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »
Secondly, my concern with the armor forming seems to sound like you start forming your armor when you go to sleep at night, wake up fully armored, and then never take your armor off at all throughout the entire day, ever. Then you take it off right before you go to bed, start forming your next suit of armor, and curl up with your plush Mother Brain and wake up the next day, fully armored again. I know the standard image of a D&D party is 'All Armored, All the Time!', which would explain why adventurers hate going to balls and formal gatherings, since they'd have to shed their armor like a beetle shedding its exoskeleton.

I'd be fine with the restriction of "You cannot change your module loadout more then once in any 24 hour period, regardless of how many times you form your armor" if it meant that I can go from "mostly defenseless" to "as defended as any other character with the right equipment loadout" ;)
For the record, there is at least an official D&D armor that grows over you while you sleep and then withers off at the end of the day (consisting of special magic vines). But if you limit it so it the loadout can't be changed more than 1/day, and you decide said loadout at the start of the day, not when battle starts, I'm willing to allow the fast transformation.

I'll take the creator's word about the power suit. No fast-forming, can pay special materials and enanchments in advance like normal armor.

So I wrote all of the above and then you replied, so first off thank you for the reply. I'm not going to delete anything I wrote because damnit, I wrote it! Though, since the answer rendered some of the above no longer relevant, I'm leaving it there for Garryl to read at his leisure. I'll be building Rabbit now, since this was really all I needed clarified.

Would you object if I pulled items and equipment from d20 Modern or d20 Future?

EDIT: I ask because the Metroid as Incarnnum rules for equipment are incomplete as of this time. If you'd rather not, I can simply say that all of his higher tech gadgets and such were Destroyed Beyond Repair (tm) in the crash.
[/quote]

It depends. What exactly did you want from D&D modern?
The Metroid character is discussing stacking suits of armor...

I HAVE TO!
(click to show/hide)
Also Osle, I doubt you'll continue to think it is too powerful after I post it, but I may be wrong. Have to try though.
Ok, now you're making me curious.

Now, Oslecamo... I just picked the flaws I wanted and I noticed that both of them said 'homebrew'. I want to bounce them off of you first before I go any further. That, and my work computer has a lot of firewall'ed sites that I'd normally use to make characters quickly, and so I'm slightly hamstrung.

The two flaws are:

Estranged- http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Estranged_%283.5e_Flaw%29
Isolationist- http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Isolationist_%283.5e_Flaw%29

I saw these two and figured they worked great for a lone Space Pirate...

(click to show/hide)

... that betrayed High Command and now works under suspicion for the Galactic Federation on the fringe. He'll get shot at by his own people for the crime of Treason, and the last time he worked with a group of Federation officers, he had to keep ducking to avoid 'accidental' friendly fire.

Sorry but no homebrew flaws. I actualy had specified some pages ago that only the flaws at the srd would be allowed. Isolationist hardly slow you down if you follow the usual D&D tactic of "kill, loot, repeat", Estranged is irrelevant when your Home is in another planet.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »

Probably guns, but I can work with the "All your cool stuff broke in the crash" line too.

Sorry but no homebrew flaws. I actualy had specified some pages ago that only the flaws at the srd would be allowed. Isolationist hardly slow you down if you follow the usual D&D tactic of "kill, loot, repeat", Estranged is irrelevant when your Home is in another planet.

No problem. I really didn't like any of the SRD flaws so I may just avoid them. Not that the penalty is too limiting or too serious or whatever, they just don't flow with the character. Thank you for the clarification. Building continues.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »
Also Osle, I doubt you'll continue to think it is too powerful after I post it, but I may be wrong. Have to try though.

Be curious no more.
 My homebrewed Kirby is up.

It needs a lot of cleaning up. The second post is for a few racial feats for it (all breath weapon Air Gun and Star Shot focused). The Third is for Items (Ditto).

So really, since what you seem to be worried about is the Copy, what you see is all I'm doing. Done. Nada. No more. PEACH it as is and worry no more. Cause I'ma thinking Dedede has a Ring of Freedom of Movement.

Hell, the main reason I didn't just do what you said and start taking Hecan isn't just because I wanted the Air Gun, but because the whole thing was just way too powerful. Especially its "copy ability".

EDIT: umm... for the record, the tag at the top is just for that thread. I, for obvious reason, do want you to comment. Just not there. Not yet.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:08:44 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
I'm having trouble coming up with feats, but that and gear is all I need to do (minus fluff and possibly naming my Pokemon).

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 06:31:47 PM »

Probably guns, but I can work with the "All your cool stuff broke in the crash" line too.

Guns are fine. I don't see anything in that list that seems like it could pose trouble.

Be curious no more.
 My homebrewed Kirby is up.

It needs a lot of cleaning up. The second post is for a few racial feats for it (all breath weapon Air Gun and Star Shot focused). The Third is for Items (Ditto).

So really, since what you seem to be worried about is the Copy, what you see is all I'm doing. Done. Nada. No more. PEACH it as is and worry no more. Cause I'ma thinking Dedede has a Ring of Freedom of Movement.

Hmm, that actualy looks pretty good! Don't see anything wrong at first glance, I would just ask you to organize the levels/abilities in a table so I can have a better overview of the abilities distribution.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
In the process, will likely be up around 1100 central time tomorrow. Need sleep, then work.

I am VERY happy you like it.

huh, there is no :happydance emote. darn.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
Yes to HP and potions. Also you seem to have misread the AA, he gets two WHMD at first level and then two more WHMD at second level.
Well..... that actually makes my life a lot easier! But now I have to decide whether to go for the Fly ability, which is something I'm gonna need at some point anyway but doesn't suit the flavor as well, or the improvement to fast which will make me an inescapable godless killing machine while on the ground. It IS level 6, so this is the start of needing fly to deal with shit.

Choices choices.

Also Osle, am I reading the nature linked ability correctly in that, if I took a level of cleric next level, I'd have access to a lv 7 clerics spells, but the spell slots of a lv 1 cleric (plus whatever bonuses for wisdom)? The "she does not retroactively gain spell slots or new spells for caster levels she did not take" section is the bit tht throws me. I think overall it's a great way to put an ability aside  for one or two levels to get a good pay-off later, and I'd like to, but I just want to know exactly where I stand when I get there.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
For the first time in, well, ever... I'm at a loss for a background.  But don't worry, I'll make some shit up.  Osle, where in the LoZ timeline are we?  Should I even worry about that?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »
So picking gear and building, question popped up concerning a point you made, oslecamo. Is this going to be a "Kill, Loot, Repeat" game, or will there be more substance to it then that?
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »
And a question about our 13K.
Do you enforce any kind of limit on how much of that can be spent on any one item, like 1/2, 1/4 or something like that?
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
Also Osle, am I reading the nature linked ability correctly in that, if I took a level of cleric next level, I'd have access to a lv 7 clerics spells, but the spell slots of a lv 1 cleric (plus whatever bonuses for wisdom)? The "she does not retroactively gain spell slots or new spells for caster levels she did not take" section is the bit tht throws me. I think overall it's a great way to put an ability aside  for one or two levels to get a good pay-off later, and I'd like to, but I just want to know exactly where I stand when I get there.

Consult the table at the FAQ, spoiler inside spoiler. You would have two 4th level spell slot (normal and domain), plus one 1st level spell slot. Aka the new spell slots a cleric usually gains when going from 6th to 7th level.

For the first time in, well, ever... I'm at a loss for a background.  But don't worry, I'll make some shit up.  Osle, where in the LoZ timeline are we?  Should I even worry about that?

I would guess sometime advanced in the timeline, but before spirit tracks steampunk. Still working on the details. Warring kingdoms from Fire emblem, pirates, dragons will most definetely be involved right away.

So picking gear and building, question popped up concerning a point you made, oslecamo. Is this going to be a "Kill, Loot, Repeat" game, or will there be more substance to it then that?

I would rather prefer to be more substance, with a more or less equal split between killing stuf and political intrigue. a significant part of the "enemies" you'll meet will definetely be willing to talk. You'll be awarded exp by completing objectives, not simply killing stuff.

Do you enforce any kind of limit on how much of that can be spent on any one item, like 1/2, 1/4 or something like that?

No more than half your WBL in a single item.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »

No more than half your WBL in a single item.

Well that nixes my plan of buying a Returning Orc Shotput.  I need a new combat strategy...

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
Returning Crystals?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 09:47:09 PM »
OMG YES!!

Edit: ...only the greater crystal has it and that costs 4k gp and requires a +3 weapon.   :banghead

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »
Yeah, but does the lesser crystal help at least?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
Yeah, but does the lesser crystal help at least?

Hmmm, throw it as a standard, recall it as a move.  Not the best combat strategy but it's better than nothing.  Thank you for pointing that out, it seems to be the best way to my to be viable at throwing things.   :)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:28 AM »
Hmmm, throw it as a standard, recall it as a move.  Not the best combat strategy but it's better than nothing.  Thank you for pointing that out, it seems to be the best way to my to be viable at throwing things.   :)

Other then taking the feat "Throw Anything" and buying a handy haversack full of a thousand gold worth of kitchen supplies (pots, pans, kettles, etc) and then just throwing pots and pans at your enemies non-stop. I mean, you can either buy something with Returning OR you can just buy a thousand of them and pick them up when the fight is done. :)
Link to my homebrews

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »

Other then taking the feat "Throw Anything" and buying a handy haversack full of a thousand gold worth of kitchen supplies (pots, pans, kettles, etc) and then just throwing pots and pans at your enemies non-stop. I mean, you can either buy something with Returning OR you can just buy a thousand of them and pick them up when the fight is done. :)

Throw forks, and occasionally spoons, but never knives. Also, don't wear any blue on your costume.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
Such a character would be un-fork-ettable
Link to my homebrews