Author Topic: Hanian [Race]  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Hanian [Race]
« on: July 13, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »
Hanian

Hanians are a race at the end of a long, sometimes precipitous, decline. Once second only to the Enayinbo in terms of their magical prowess, they are now capable of little more than clinging on to what remains of their faded kingdom. The mark of their power was the great skycities that floated over lush mountain valleys, massive structures that housed thousands and were kept aloft only by the gifts of the master arcanists, the rulers of the Hanian kingdom. Today, no one claims that title, and only a few sky cities remain. Even those that still journey across the sky are decrepit and ruined, slowly crumbling down upon the peaks below as the magic fades and the architecture dies as a result. Perhaps one day a new leader will revive the magical talents of the Hanians, but for now, they teeter on the very edge of collapse.

Personality
Unlike most of the races of Arhosa that have turned inwards in the wake of the collapse of the Arhosan Empire, the Hanians are generally outgoing, friendly, and otherwise pleasant to deal with. It is because, on the whole, they are optimistic about the outcome of the whole situation, even though it has resulted in the death of most of their population and the collapse of their civilization. Somehow, all of that is simply a passing phase, and what they have achieved once before they shall certainly attain a second time.

Physical Description
Hanian males average 6 feet tall and 200 lbs, while smaller females average 5 ½ feet and 140 pounds. Color of eyes, skin, and hair, and other physical features vary wildly; enlarged noses, webbed feet or extra digits are not uncommon. 

Relations
As befits their personality, the Hanians tend to be rather equitably welcomed amongst other races. Unlike the Biyou or the Tro Ar Fyd, they were never too haughty or too reckless in their magical talents. But that hardly stopped the master arcanists from being drawn into the political squabbles that accompanied the downfall of the empire, and there are those amongst each race who had family harmed by Hanian spellpower. So although most peoples welcome the Hanians with open arms, there are always those with long memories and sharp knives.

Religion
Unsurprisingly, a culture built on the glorification of arcane magic glorifies the god who gifted such talents to the people of Arhosa. Thus Lledrith holds the highest position in all Hanian religious life, although unlike the other arcane races, they never turned away from the other gods to the same extent, instead preferring to be at least acquainted with all the others, even Drancedigaeth, despite Lledrith's war with the god of death. Perhaps that was why they were struck down so harshly when war spread across Arhosa.

Language
Hanians speak their own language, but as should be expected of a race so capable of making friends and travelling across the face of Arhosa, they are quite talented with all others. Which one tends to depend upon which skycity a given individual was raised upon.

Adventurers
Given that they live either upon cities that can crumble from the sky at any moment, or in distant and remote mountain valleys accessed only via magical means, it is hardly surprising to find that members of such an outgoing species find themselves struck with wanderlust and a desire to explore all the world has to offer. Also, since there has currently not been a breakthrough in terms of saving the skycities using the talent at hand, perhaps the solution lies elsewhere. Regardless of the reason, it is hardly surprising to find a Hanian in almost any locale across Arhosa, although they do tend to prefer the more civilized and urban environments where possible.

Hanian Racial Traits
Medium: As Medium creatures, Hanians have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Hanian base land speed is 30 feet.
1 extra feat at 1st level.
Arcane Soul: Hanians gain 1 bonus arcane spell point at 1st level.
Magical Knowledge: Autohypnosis, Knowledge (Arcane), Spellbond, and Spellcraft are permanently class skills for Hanians.
Automatic Language: Hanian. Bonus Languages: Any
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Hanian takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:17:16 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Hanian [Race]
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
I like it, though it will be a bit odd to have a random spell point I can't use as an Ecclesiast. Which is fine since it fits, but oddly enough, the arcanist Biyou race gets 3 generic spell points which I technically might be able to use. Should maybe make those arcane?
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
I should. An oversight that they aren't. But between the bonus feat and the spellbond boost, you'll probably be okay.  ;)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 07:45:20 AM »
Removed Spellsouled, added Inherent Skill.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
Thinking of replacing their current racial traits with the version in the quote below. Right now, they're better than PHB humans, and that's probably a little much. This keeps the heavily arcane flavour of the race in Arhosa, without compromising its all-around use too much.

Hanian Racial Traits
Medium: As Medium creatures, Hanians have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Magical Knowledge: Autohypnosis, Knowledge (Arcane), Spellbond, and Spellcraft are permanently class skills for them.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Hanian takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
Thinking of replacing their current racial traits with the version in the quote below. Right now, they're better than PHB humans, and that's probably a little much. This keeps the heavily arcane flavour of the race in Arhosa, without compromising its all-around use too much.

Hanian Racial Traits
Magical Knowledge: Autohypnosis, Knowledge (Arcane), Spellbond, and Spellcraft are permanently class skills for them.
Obviously, as an up-and-coming Hanian non-arcanist, I like the current version more. :P
I think it'd be fine if you just cut the "permanently class skills" bit from Inherent Skill (though what you're doing now is cutting the +1 skill point/level... which is probably more fair)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »
Obviously, as an up-and-coming Hanian non-arcanist, I like the current version more. :P
I think it'd be fine if you just cut the "permanently class skills" bit from Inherent Skill (though what you're doing now is cutting the +1 skill point/level... which is probably more fair)

I'm also doing it that way to move it a little further away from the PHB human, as opposed to its current "I'm a PHB Human with Arcane pretensions piled on top!". It also means that the Chanwyr and a few others get the choice to shine as skill-focused races. But I understand that does nerf your character slightly.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »

I'm also doing it that way to move it a little further away from the PHB human, as opposed to its current "I'm a PHB Human with Arcane pretensions piled on top!". It also means that the Chanwyr and a few others get the choice to shine as skill-focused races. But I understand that does nerf your character slightly.
-shrugs- I'm still playing an 8+int mental-focused class. I'll be fine.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 04:12:17 PM »
Doesn't really matter to me, at this point.
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »
-shrugs- I'm still playing an 8+int mental-focused class. I'll be fine.

In that case, changes are being edited in.

Doesn't really matter to me, at this point.

You're always welcome to come back :D

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
*points at archived games* *points at you* *doesn't look pleased*
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
<-- *has the last post in every game thread in the Arhosan games*

The games were archived after I didn't have a player post for 1 month (Arhosa Ascending & Pybyrian Machination), 2 months (Burning Plague), and a voluntary shutdown (Setras Ra). So, there's blame to go around (me disappearing for a bit was a huge reason in the games failing, probably the primary one), and I'd happily resuscitate, but I need players for that :P