Author Topic: Mazes & Minotaurs, anyone?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Mazes & Minotaurs, anyone?
« on: March 23, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
As the lack of PbP games has been lamented on the Discord, I thought I should throw out my hook and see what bites.

Mazes & Minotaurs is an OSR game with the premise of "What if D&D had been based on Greek mythology and sword&sandal films, rather than R.E. Howard and J.R.R. Tolkien?" In all of its versions, it is available for free as in beer.

It was originally written in jest in response to a 2002 RPG.net article out-lining a faux history of gaming started by 1972 M&M, but turned out as much more playable than planned and has since taken on a life of its own, including numerous supplements and adventure modules, its own long-running webzine, a Norse/Germanic spin-off called Vikings&Valkyries, and finally a 1987 Revised Mazes&Minotaurs spoofing AD&D (but being much more streamlined and playable than the original).

I'd work off the 2012 Silver Anniversary RM&M rules, with the following options from the M&M Companion in play:
- Background Talents
- New Soldier Classes (Archer, Cavalryman)
- Alternate Amazon (optional, both Artemisian and Athenian Amazons are in play)
- Divine Agents
- Combat Options EXCEPT Homeric Combat
- Magic Options (Beastmaster, Shapeshifter, Elementalists of Light&Darkness)
- Religious Options: ONLY Acolytes&Sacrifices and Priests of Dionysos

I'd want to keep the basic frame classical, with heroes originating from the three city-states of Argos, Heraklion and Thena forming the Hellenic core of the setting (or even only one of the three city-states for an even more classical frame). - Druids, Priestesses of Cybele, Umbrian Warlords and other classes outside of the Hellenic core would need to wait for a later game, if such a thing ever happens.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
Re: Mazes & Minotaurs, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 04:04:18 AM »
Huh. Consider me tentatively interested if I can make room around other stuff.