Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 1132 times)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Reviews
« on: June 02, 2015, 01:52:57 AM »
Imagine, if you will, a pair of headphones.  These headphones are the absolute best on the market - the sound quality is superb, they have every feature you could possibly want (and some you didn't know you needed), and they're significantly cheaper than the competition.  But, the company that produces these headphones does so by using slave labor. 

Is a reviewer of these headphones obligated to mention the fact that they're made by slaves in the review?  Should the headphones be given a lower rating because of how they were produced?  Should a reviewer recommend that consumers buy a different set of headphones instead, even if the alternative has inferior quality or a higher price? 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Re: Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:38:38 AM »
Seems valid to me.

Everyone values different things.  I might be in the market for things with neon lights in flash.  Another might want low price and nothing more.

Since it's clear that "made ethically" is a variable people care about, you shouldn't feel wrong mentioning it if you feel the matter is important.

Sounds like the hypothetical scenario would end up in a positive but mixed review, something on the lines of "though it is currently the best, one should not award the company until they clean up their act".

Point in case, I avoid going to Walmart (a place which would be otherwise quite convenient for me) because it's just that shitty of a company, to the point I would ignore their positives in order not to fund them.
Mudada.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Reviews
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »
iirc Kathy Lee Gifford was the last really high profile person
targetted with an embarassment campaign about Wages.
And that kinda worked.

But most people don't wanna know how the "sausage" gets made.
Buy a $30 sweatshirt.
Don't care the person who made it, got paid ~ $0.10 of that.

Same thing with Cars.
It used to take 60+ labor hours to build one, and the pay was $60+ per hour.
Now it takes < 20 labor hours to build much more complicated cars, at < $20 hour.
Labor rate has fallen from near 50%  ($3600 for $7200 car circa 1980)
to now say only 5% ($400 for $20000 car).
Bye bye middle class.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:14:02 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.