Author Topic: General Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 212049 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
The new Ship Captain feat, Veteran Mechanics says:
The ship itself may be repaired in just two weeks if reduced to 0 HP, or 20% of its max HP per hour of interrupted work if still at positive HP.

Should be "uninterrupted", shouldn't it?

Also, Engineering Bay sounds like a really cool feat after reading the part about a hybrid Real/Super ship being able to reconstruct itself.
It's kinda like a really, really slow transformation scene  :D

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »
The new Ship Captain feat, Veteran Mechanics says:
The ship itself may be repaired in just two weeks if reduced to 0 HP, or 20% of its max HP per hour of interrupted work if still at positive HP.

Should be "uninterrupted", shouldn't it?

Also, Engineering Bay sounds like a really cool feat after reading the part about a hybrid Real/Super ship being able to reconstruct itself.
It's kinda like a really, really slow transformation scene  :D

No, no, the transformation scene is when the ship goes from a ship to an absolutely huge robot.

They're not actually new feats, Os has just started rearranging things. :p

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
They're new to me :p

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
Well looks like the new organization is producing results already! :P

That should be it for now. Merged pilots threads with their respective machines, consolidated a bunch of rules bits on the sticky post, updated index, locked threads no longer in use, overhauled funnels to hopefully make them more simple and efficient.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »
Question about the discipline pilot feats:
They say they require you to be in the right stance and that "You cannot start one while another is still active tough."
Now.
Is being in the stance necessary only for the activation or must the stance be kept to maintain any continuous effects?

Shooting Star, Cut Trough the Night: Making sure I got this right.

Ace Legend: I imagine that if a relationship feat is taken for this option, its requirements must be fulfilled as normal? Meaning, you can only use it on someone you actually love. That said I'm unsure why Love better fits real pilots and Rivalry better fits super pilots. Might make more sense to grant any relationship fit instead of a specific one.

Supply drop: Locks you out of using the other options from the moment you use it, including the 1d3 delay and until the drop is used/expires.
The feat also makes a distinction between using a drop (to prevent it from expiring after 5 rounds) and picking them up.
It does not mention the action needed to equip/use/activate them after picking them up. Wargear seems to add an additional 5 seconds of use on top of how long it took to use it. The drone doesn't say how long it lasts after being activated if left unattacked. It is unsure if the drone can be activate more than once to have it move again on successive rounds.

Natural Leader: It locks you out of using the other options for as long as the mook is around. The oddity of seeing every loyal henchmen you ever call get destroyed randomly aside, what is the level of that mecha mook, and is there a way to send him off early to be able to use your other options without waiting for him to explode?

I am Invincible!

Come to Me: You're saying it is at full energy twice. The second one can be taken out seeing how you already put it as a requirement for the option's use.

Over the Top: It seems you must have the pure metal thing to be used with this option. You don't temporarily spawn one out of nowhere like the real pilot discipline feat like, say, bigass pure metal mecha sunglasses. From the moment you start integrating the thing, you get locked out of using the other options, and that until after the 1d3 rounds to remove it are done.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:59:15 PM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »
If Over the Top needs the actual item... uh, what. That effectively makes it a three feat requirement to use the whole feat.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2013, 02:16:32 AM »
Can't you just buy the thing or have someone else craft it for you?
It would be logical to need the piece to be used as there is no guideline for what kind of pure metal thingy could be spawned otherwise.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2013, 06:21:30 AM »
Question about the discipline pilot feats:
They say they require you to be in the right stance and that "You cannot start one while another is still active tough."
Now.
Is being in the stance necessary only for the activation or must the stance be kept to maintain any continuous effects?
You must remain in a stance of the respective school, altough you can change between diferent stances from the same discipline.

Shooting Star, Cut Trough the Night: Making sure I got this right.

Ace Legend: I imagine that if a relationship feat is taken for this option, its requirements must be fulfilled as normal? Meaning, you can only use it on someone you actually love. That said I'm unsure why Love better fits real pilots and Rivalry better fits super pilots. Might make more sense to grant any relationship fit instead of a specific one.
What can I say, Real Pilots seem to be the ones that actually try to advance relationships with their loved ones, while super pilots are too busy being angst/hotblooded and showing off to actually try to stablish a deeper connection with another being of the same size (totally unbiased opinion as my current avatar proves :p)

Supply drop: Locks you out of using the other options from the moment you use it, including the 1d3 delay and until the drop is used/expires.
The feat also makes a distinction between using a drop (to prevent it from expiring after 5 rounds) and picking them up.
It does not mention the action needed to equip/use/activate them after picking them up. Wargear seems to add an additional 5 seconds of use on top of how long it took to use it. The drone doesn't say how long it lasts after being activated if left unattacked. It is unsure if the drone can be activate more than once to have it move again on successive rounds.
[/quote]
Hmm, good points, removed the 1d3 rounds delay and tweaked a bit the supply drop effects.

Natural Leader: It locks you out of using the other options for as long as the mook is around. The oddity of seeing every loyal henchmen you ever call get destroyed randomly aside, what is the level of that mecha mook, and is there a way to send him off early to be able to use your other options without waiting for him to explode?
More good points, tweaked that one a bit as well.

I am Invincible!

Come to Me: You're saying it is at full energy twice. The second one can be taken out seeing how you already put it as a requirement for the option's use.
Done.

Over the Top: It seems you must have the pure metal thing to be used with this option. You don't temporarily spawn one out of nowhere like the real pilot discipline feat like, say, bigass pure metal mecha sunglasses. From the moment you start integrating the thing, you get locked out of using the other options, and that until after the 1d3 rounds to remove it are done.
Allowed option to spawn lesser pute metal items out of nowhere. Also clarified the removal is instant.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »
Alright cool.
Here's some thoughts on usage and such.

I like how you made leaving some of the continuous effects a swift/move - it made switching between two stances less of an effective way to efficiently cancel them to use other options.

Supply Drop (Energy Tank) - Kinda feels like Wargear. Wargear can give you an energy regen+ arsenal gizmos. This one though stacks with them, though, so once you get this feat, considering 5 rounds is half a minute - and this thing can be used once per minute - it becomes rather hard to ever fall out of energy.

Natural Leader - Now that the timer is removed and the dude stays until the effect is discontinued, it feels better to have it on an hourly cooldown. It clearly isn't the intent but since the minion is now kinda-permanent, it means that every hour you can call an additional single mecha mook, and slowly build a little army. Unless the hour cooldown begins from the moment the mecha mook is dismissed/destroyed.
Problem I can imagine with this option granting the capability to spawn him anywhere is how neat it can be used in puzzle situations and such. Say you see a lever at the other side of a gauntlet of obstacles of all kinds that would stop the timer of the self destruction of the base you're in or whatever, and you make the mook appear next to it. You easily defeat the gauntlet/puzzle/other. It is also probably pretty useful if you get imprisoned: Make the dude appear every hour, bypassing every security measures of the great prison and try to break out.

Over the Top - Just a thought, can you remove the pure metal item even if you aren't in the mecha? You might feel funny next time you try to call your mecha and you remember you forgot to remove those pure metal sunglasses before leaving it in that one dump (though there is always that stance swapping trick to take care of it).

Good work all-round.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
Thanks!

Both Energy Tank and personal mook are considered effects from that feat, so you can't use them again or one of the other effects while they last. You can keep them around all the time yes, but that then cuts down your options.

Being useful in puzzle situations is fully intended for those feats, so pilots aren't just big hulking brutes. Friends showing up of nowhere to rescue you from the enemy fortress is a classic after all. Just be prepared for the alarm to be raised when they press said lever and they get shot to bits, leaving you to find a way out for the next hour. :p

Which reminds me I had some drafts for more exotic types of grenades. And still have the expanded real robot list to finish.

Integrating/removing items with Over the Top doesn't seem to actually demand you being inside your mecha. I'll leave it like that for now since your robot throwing you your personal sword does sound like the kind of stuff you should be able to do. :P

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »
Is there a reason the Gravity Wall Prototype is basically more effective? :huh

10 energy for (InitialDamage-DR)/2 as the outcome (prototype)
15 energy for InitialDamage/2-DR as the outcome.

The second can potentially reduce it to 0--but the former actually works out as InitialDamage/2-2*DR.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2013, 04:57:04 AM »
Let's say you take 50 damage and have 20 DR.

Prototype: apply DR (30 damage) and divide by 2 (take 15 damage).

Regular: divide by 2 (25 damage) and apply DR (take just 5 damage).

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2013, 08:09:07 AM »
For reasons I am not quite awake enough to decipher, the regular always has a 10 damage advantage. Never mind, then.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »
Added a bunch of special weapons, a new Relationship feat (Devotion), Dandy Pilot feat for Into the Danger Zone and buffed up Friendship a bit by making the bonus scaling.

On a completely unrelated note, I had finally managed to watch Diebuster 1 and 2 at the end of the last month.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
Added a bunch of special weapons, a new Relationship feat (Devotion), Dandy Pilot feat for Into the Danger Zone and buffed up Friendship a bit by making the bonus scaling.

On a completely unrelated note, I had finally managed to watch Diebuster 1 and 2 at the end of the last month.

So... you mean you've seen Gunbuster and Diebuster and now have some idea what I'm talking about if I start rambling about space monsters? :p

EDIT: Oh, hey, Nono feat. Though I say Love is more fitting, but it is only a 6-episode OVA, so... XD
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:21:49 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »
But of course.

It also gave me a burst of inspiration to finally start working on einst/space monster horde class, altough that one will take longer as I have to figure out rules for bioships and extra-giant flesh monsters and whatnot. :P

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »
I would advise you to not make them to scale with Gunbuster's monsters. Those things at the end? Well...

I found this thread a while back. They end up just a little unreasonably big. Oh, and a page on the ships. Because I always forget their names. Also because one of them is responsible for the... THING in Diebuster. And the other became Jupiter. :lmao
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:30:29 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »
Dam, that Dandy feat for ItDZ is rather nasty. And I mean the Field Improv ability of it. Specifically I mean the extra ability added to a Rending weapon. I would love that. The rest of the feat's options are pretty underpowered, imo, compared to that one.  :tongue
Just because that is the only option I would outright want to use all the time and it can be used all the time, so long as you're in an IDZ stance.

Edit: Thinking about it, the other three options for the Dandy feat do actually look like situational abilities appropriate a tactical feat, but the Field Improv ability of the feat really isn't a situational ability it seems like. That ability alone seems more fitting of its own feat.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:05:21 AM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:38 AM »
After some tought, changed the rending one to halving energy recovery, much like the power one to HP.

Yes, the abilities are somewhat situational, but you get a big variety of them, so you should always have something useful (and if nothing else,  Devotion or Counter is always nice to have).

No comments on the new special weapons added to the arsenal?