Author Topic: General Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 212323 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: General Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2014, 07:14:09 AM »
A surviving typo from a much earlier version. Erased. Hopefully the last of its kind.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2014, 07:36:14 AM »
Nerfed Strike to apply just to one attack, but also reduced the cost back to 20 SP.

Buffed up Assault to allow it to work with fullround maneuvers, heavy weapons and charges.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 29, 2014, 08:47:15 PM »
I just thought of something right now while looking at my snazzy new laser in the phantasy star game.

Why don't mechas have options for adding appendages? (Adding for Supers, having multi-limbed models for Reals)

Multiweapon Fighting Mechas could be cool too  :pout

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 30, 2014, 01:46:25 PM »
The Extra upgrade for Super Robots could be described as extra limbs if you wish.

Multiweapon fighting is already possible with most of the super robots. The Wild Wurger for example has the Beetle Crusher in one arm, Triple Vulkans in the other, the Raptor Wings on its back and still has a couple free hands to wield Metal Sword.

Actually, the intention was that if you take Arsenal Weapons, you can fit them in shoulders, or waist, or back, and fire them all simultaneously as long as you-re willing to take the multipweapon fighting penalties.

Which reminds me, llet us see if this weekend I can finally post an initial form of the mecha monster class. The basic idea would be that you pick one central frame with a number of slots, and then add specific bioweapons and bioupgrades from a list.

No, wait, those would be your minions. The class itself would be the queen that mass produces those. Or you can also spawn swarms of smaller monsters that attack as one entity.

Also, what would people think of ship captains being able to deploy swarms of fighter jets?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 30, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
Sort of... super-funnels?

Woo, bio-monsters! Hopefully with nothing in common with the Gunbuster/Diebuster Space Monsters because we need a humanity left. :p

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
Right, while writing the space monster class, I wanted to add stuff like their weapons grabbing/disarming/slowing down targets. And then decided it would be worthwhile to add some new mecha weapon special properties for both standardization's sake and make weapon choice more interesting than "grab whatever deals more damage while aiming for power and/or rending".

Real Robot and Ship Captain units have already been updated, and Super Robots get a new upgrade option to add new properties to their in-built weapons (but no more than one per weapon).

Also finished stating up a decent amount of bioframes and bioweapons, but still need stuff to fill the rest of the class. Here is the rough plan so far:
-Queen can nom pretty much anything that isn't solid dry rock to make minions. She however can only keep control of a few at a time, giving them a big bonus while nearby. The rest can be given basic instincts to control their behavior to a very limited degree like Hunting or Lurking, but they don't get the stat bonus, so they're pretty much crap.
-Queen gets Real/Super spirits, can choose for a spirit to affect all of her currently controled minions with a single use instead of herself.
-Following on the above, the queen's pilot bonus feats can be transfered to minions.
-Queen herself has two main paths. Either she's a big monster herself with her own bioframe and bioweapons that can also grant mutations and whatnot, or she's a loli regular-sized humanoid that gets to pick a couple schools to learn maneuvers from. In that case the minions themselves can skip bioweapons and pick some maneuvers and stances of their own. Why? Because I love Knight Run damnit! :P

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2014, 03:32:42 PM »
So, does the space monster class gain immunity to the insides of stars? >.>

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »
So, having read the timeline first:

1) Formatting could do with improvement. For instance, the numbers are counting down--but the present day has a minus sign too? What sort of calendar system (except for geological timescales) works backwards from the current date? Record keeping would be a bitch. As would learning history.

2) Terra seems fairly inappropriate for something that isn't Earth.

3) What, no development of fusion power, or utilisation of magic as a power source? Everything still seems to be fission-powered. And nuclear fission androids sounds impractical.

Technoillithids? :O

Almost all of them Newman tough, just some very few Newmans among their numbers.

I think that line needs rewriting.

All in all, seems like an interesting start, though an editor might come in useful.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:48:48 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2014, 02:54:06 AM »
Will Infernal Mechas be an actual player option as part of the Mecha Galaxy setting?
Or is that just a fluff thing.

Just sounds interesting.

Same with what appears to be the opposite (those mechas granted to servants of Machine Gods)

Sounds like stuff that could work as Alternate Class Features maybe?

Whoa, could Technotopia be some Ghost in the Shell inspired D&D stuffs? That could be interesting :D

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:58:13 AM by ketaro »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »
Grork's preparations took almost 100 years. Is it supposed to be normal that he was so old when he fell in battle? Especially since it begins with him uniting the tribes... as an infant?
Though maybe he got lifespan increases from something. Fairly possible. Just a point I though possibly relevant.

There is this massive succession of huge technological breakthroughs over 200 years (from medieval tech to mechas, nuclear power, bionics/androids, cloning/gene-splicing, warp speed...), then more than three thousand years of small steps.
Its a bit odd.

Does Alpha Nei's group become a faction all the years after? Maybe across the Space Sailors?

Where does the Federation of Technotopia come from? Colonists of a planet that got a meaningful amount of influence?
They just appear as a faction right now without really saying where they come from in all of this.

That's all I got for now.

Whoa, could Technotopia be some Ghost in the Shell inspired D&D stuffs? That could be interesting :D
Oh dear yes. Though the entire population feeling against staying in a shell of flesh would be odd. Especially given the discrepancies in social classes with the poor not really being able to keep upgrading, leading to no poor caste since they all end up as semi-sentient servants. Bionics would probably be the solution, with the most part of the population using upgrades of some kind. Cyber brain, a better arm, better eyes... a fully android body... Having many AI-guided robots and androids would be a given considering the technological specialties of the faction. It would also give the possibility of groups with different mentalities. Like people in the ghettos that are mostly natural but have no means of leaving (or no desire to) and despise the unnatural replacement of body parts for mechanical/bionic 'upgrades'. Along with possible groups of beings so disconnected with material things that they mostly live in the 'net'.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:56:25 AM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »
Minor pedantry: referring to something as 'the government' when it's got no centralisation or governing body at all also seems inaccurate.

It's got even less oversight than the Holy Roman Empire did towards the end. O_o

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2014, 06:15:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

Expanded timeline, added some new stuff to the second post.

Also if any of you has run into any fantasy/sci-fi inspiring pictures that think would go nice with any of the events/factions, or that you think should be NPCs/factions, post them in!

So, having read the timeline first:

1) Formatting could do with improvement. For instance, the numbers are counting down--but the present day has a minus sign too? What sort of calendar system (except for geological timescales) works backwards from the current date? Record keeping would be a bitch. As would learning history.

2) Terra seems fairly inappropriate for something that isn't Earth.

3) What, no development of fusion power, or utilisation of magic as a power source? Everything still seems to be fission-powered. And nuclear fission androids sounds impractical.
1)Remade the year counting system.
2) New name edited in. If you have better ideas for it, I'm all hears.
3)Added fusion power to the fluff. I guess that arcane/divine mechas can count as running on magic.

Technoillithids? :O
Not my intention, but sounds like a great idea for a subfaction!

Almost all of them Newman tough, just some very few Newmans among their numbers.

I think that line needs rewriting.
Fixed.

Will Infernal Mechas be an actual player option as part of the Mecha Galaxy setting?
Or is that just a fluff thing.

Just sounds interesting.

Same with what appears to be the opposite (those mechas granted to servants of Machine Gods)

Sounds like stuff that could work as Alternate Class Features maybe?
Something I would like to work on the future yes, but for now I would rather work on expanding the fluff itself, specific rules can come later. :P

Definetely intended.

Grork's preparations took almost 100 years. Is it supposed to be normal that he was so old when he fell in battle? Especially since it begins with him uniting the tribes... as an infant?
Though maybe he got lifespan increases from something. Fairly possible. Just a point I though possibly relevant.

There is this massive succession of huge technological breakthroughs over 200 years (from medieval tech to mechas, nuclear power, bionics/androids, cloning/gene-splicing, warp speed...), then more than three thousand years of small steps.
Its a bit odd.
Taken care with the new timeline.

Does Alpha Nei's group become a faction all the years after? Maybe across the Space Sailors?
Hmm, good idea, added!

Where does the Federation of Technotopia come from? Colonists of a planet that got a meaningful amount of influence?
They just appear as a faction right now without really saying where they come from in all of this.
Developed as well on the expanded timeline.

Oh dear yes. Though the entire population feeling against staying in a shell of flesh would be odd. Especially given the discrepancies in social classes with the poor not really being able to keep upgrading, leading to no poor caste since they all end up as semi-sentient servants. Bionics would probably be the solution, with the most part of the population using upgrades of some kind. Cyber brain, a better arm, better eyes... a fully android body... Having many AI-guided robots and androids would be a given considering the technological specialties of the faction. It would also give the possibility of groups with different mentalities. Like people in the ghettos that are mostly natural but have no means of leaving (or no desire to) and despise the unnatural replacement of body parts for mechanical/bionic 'upgrades'. Along with possible groups of beings so disconnected with material things that they mostly live in the 'net'.
Oh, that's definetely the kind of thing I wanted, definetely gonna add it, thanks! :D

Minor pedantry: referring to something as 'the government' when it's got no centralisation or governing body at all also seems inaccurate.

It's got even less oversight than the Holy Roman Empire did towards the end. O_o
Arrogance goes a long way as far as titles go around. :p

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »
Apple references? I am disappointed. :p

Though I am now inclined to investigate how God//Einst Queen could be worked. Still think Planetar would work better. Drone buffing! Just thought of it because of the machine gods. XD

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 16, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
Added a couple of worlds and elves and orcs fluff, plus racial alternate class features in the races thread.

If people like this approach, I intend to repeat the process with dwarves and halflings at least.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 16, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »
I am bad at balance concerns, but I am amused that elven super pilots apparently end up piloting a tree. Also, I am reminded of Tenchi Muyo for some reason.

At 18th level, if the battleship is destroyed, the ship ca the wrecks

That needs to be rewritten because it looks like a few words got removed.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
Steal from all sources Pure coincidence I'm sure.

Also cleaned up that bit.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
I like the possibility of the elven planet awakening to sentience.

The new stuff looks really good so far. Can't find anything to complain about yet :)

Offline Michael Lightning

• It's the end of the world..... What's for dinner?
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
So, Ranieh's putting together a game for this, and we'd like to have a Captain, if at all possible. The thread is here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=14425.new#new
~And through it all, it ends with a single flash of lightning~

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2014, 09:39:23 PM »
We would? I didn't know about this. D:

Offline Michael Lightning

• It's the end of the world..... What's for dinner?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2014, 08:58:30 AM »
So, I have a question about one of the feats; I Am Invincible allows you to make an item out of pure metal, including adding its properties to one of the built-in weapons. One of the properties is 'cannot be enchanted or otherwise improved'. Does that mean the Super Robot upgrades don't work with it, or do they?
~And through it all, it ends with a single flash of lightning~