Author Topic: [PF] Half-Orc Elemental Bloodrager  (Read 2241 times)

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
[PF] Half-Orc Elemental Bloodrager
« on: December 31, 2019, 05:55:22 PM »
So we are coming up on a long stretch of downtime in our campaign in a couple of sessions and I’m planning to use this time to do some large scale retraining after realizing how horrible of a mistake I made with my build before (ya’ll were right, I was better off going pure bloodrager)...

Anyways with this downtime I will be retraining into just straight bloodrager. Currently my retrained build plan is as follows:

Crossblooded Bloodrager [Elemental-Fire/Abyssal]
Feats: Skill Focus [Survival], Eldridge Heritage [Orc], Arcane Strike, Blooded Arcane Strike, Cornugon Smash, Vital Strike, Reckless Rage, Devastating Strike, Improved Vital Strike, Greater Vital Strike
Bloodline Feats: Power Attack, Intimidating Prowess, Weapon Focus [Greataxe], Toughness, ???
Bloodline Powers: Elemental Strikes, Demonic Bulk, Elemental Movement, Abyssal Bloodrage, Elemental Form, Elemental Body

We are currently Mythic T4 as well, I’ve taken Extra Mythic feat twice giving me:
Mythic Arcane Strike, Mythic Power Attack, Mythic Vital Strike, Mythic Eldritch Heritage

At current we are level 15, and I’m like some feedback on my revised build... as well as some suggestions as to what to take for my remaining Bloodline Feat, some options for improvements, and some idea on how to work Amplified Rage into the build...

Note: I am aware that Reckless Rage is considered a poor feat choice, however when combined with Mythic options such as Mythic Power Attack and Mythic Vital Strike, the extra damage it adds is significantly amplified, same goes for Devastating Strike.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 05:59:33 PM by faeryn »

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
Re: [PF] Half-Orc Elemental Bloodrager
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 02:09:07 PM »
Eh, this is really the kind of thread the Min/Max It! subforum is for.

Anyway, instead of the Vital Strike line I would sooner recommend picking up Lunge and using a reach weapon (probably an Orc Skull Ram, given your racial weapon proficiency). With Greater Bloodrage you can already use Long Arm as a free action, and Demonic Bulk already gives you Enlarge Person as a free part of your rage. If you need more 1st-level spell slots for this, use Runestones of Power, since Greater Bloodrage explicitly expends spell slots as though casting a spell and Runestone of Power explicitly lets you expend its daily power instead of a spell slot in order to cast a spell. With Enlarge Person increasing your size and Long Arm + Lunge raising your reach twice, this would let you attack anything within 30 feet, not counting your 5-foot step, and I assume you have the Fleet Charge mythic power, letting you move your speed as a swift action and add 1 attack when that isn't enough. You could also get a Quick Runner's Shirt on top of that in order to be able to use a swift action as a move action once per day. In essence, the Vital Strike line of feats is trash when you should be able to just full attack reliably (presumably with a Haste spell on top). Raging Vitality and Raging Brutality would be more useful than those.

If you're using the Orc Bloodline, you probably want the Community-Minded region trait so the 1st-level bloodline power is properly useful. You can also use the Conductive weapon property (and hit yourself) or Quicken Spell-like Ability feat in order to cast it in the same turn that you attack enemies. If you want to use a cheap weapon with the Conductive property, remember that you can split iterative attacks between multiple weapons without taking a two-weapon fighting penalty (since you're not collecting bonus attacks), so you can just give up 1 attack in order to hit yourself for maybe 1 point of nonlethal damage and collect Touch of Rage on the rest.

If you're looking to work Amplified Rage into a Bloodrager build, consider throwing in Primalist archetype, get Ferocious Beast/Mount, and either use Bloodrider archetype to get a mount feature (use Monstrous Mount feat to upgrade to a Griffon), use feats to get an animal companion feature (Exotic Heritage -> Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan) or Nature Soul -> Animal Ally), or just pay for a regular mount (like a Griffon or Hippogriff). Then get Amplified Rage and use Pack Tactics (if using AC feature) or Sisterhood Style to share Amplified Rage with your mount. You can also use a Ring of Tactical Precision with a Hand of Glory amulet (to give the beast the requisite ring slot) to give it Amplified Rage. Sisterhood Style and the Ring of Tactical Precision can similarly be used to get Amplified Rage with a friendly ally, provided you have a means of making them rage (a rage spell, such as a 200gp potion of rage using a Bard brewer, or applying Fury Drops to anything with 1 or 2 int suffices). A Badger (available through Animal Ally) or Ceratosaurus animal companion is capable of raging on its own, skipping the need for Primalist rage powers. It is also possible to give the animal companion Raging Blood to enter a lesser bloodrage as a feat, but it's only twice a day and costs 3 feats. Warleader's Rage can remedy the more annoying requirement of being right next to each other.

I would also recommend picking up Metamagic Rager and picking up Quicken Spell as a bonus bloodline feat. Perhaps also Persistent Spell if you want to throw around effects with DCs (in which case you want Cornugon Smash, Riving Strike, Mad Magic, and Rage Casting for more DC boosting, and you should use a Spell-storing weapon, perhaps also Conductive to launch spell-like abilities too). Use Barbarian chew for an extra round of rage per day. You can also quickly swap through multiple Torcs of Bloody Rage (as you can use the item instantly upon wearing it to boost your rage rounds for the day and replace it with something else) or buy the rather expensive Warbringer (61k gp) and proceed to murder bags of chickens for more rage rounds.

Also, don't forget that Mythic Arcane Strike lets you add all kinds of enhancement weapon abilities to your weapon. The simplest trick here is to turn it into a Bane weapon of whatever you're fighting, but it's worth familiarizing yourself with the list of melee weapon abilities you can throw on your weapon.

Also what are your stats, spell list, traits, alignment, disposable wealth, mythic tier/path/powers, and gear? Are you permitted to retrain traits? Is there a problem with changing patron deities (yours is Gorum iirc)? Does your GM require you to be within 1 alignment step of any deity you worship or only if you are a Cleric or the like (ie. someone with explicit class features demanding 1 alignment step)? Are there any stunts, concepts, etc. in particular that you are looking to perform as a bloodrager?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:08:08 AM by Power »