Author Topic: Awesome stuff you have to share, V4  (Read 144612 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome stuff you have to share, V4
« Reply #480 on: January 16, 2019, 04:06:36 AM »
It's not growing "on the moon" until its in the dang ground!

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 16, 2019, 05:23:33 PM »
Somebody has to go on tour as a Pink Floyd cover band, in China now.
As in :  See you on the Chang'e-4 side of the moon, yeah yeah

It's mandatory !!
 :psyduck   :)

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 21, 2019, 01:38:30 AM »
Aw well, apparently all the stuff in the moon probe died already do to bad temperature control. Chinese Quality at its finest.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #483 on: January 21, 2019, 02:25:32 AM »
Aw well, apparently all the stuff in the moon probe died already do to bad temperature control. Chinese Quality at its finest.

They purposedly shut down the heating because the probe would otherwise run out of power since the lunar night lasts 27 earth-days (and the plants would die anyway with no sunlight for so long).

But bigger point is that they got something to sprout in the first place. How to keep them going long-term is the next problem to solve.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:30:35 AM by oslecamo »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 21, 2019, 02:53:47 AM »

They purposedly shut down the heating because the probe would otherwise run out of power since the lunar night lasts 27 earth-days (and the plants would die anyway with no sunlight for so long).

But bigger point is that they got something to sprout in the first place. How to keep them going long-term is the next problem to solve.

You know maybe if China announces they plan a moon base,it could kick start a new space race......

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 21, 2019, 03:14:58 AM »
China already announced they're planning a moon base.

And meanwhile Trump keeping the USA's government shut down until they give him billions of bucks to build a giant wall with Mexico and the EU is busy with the bit where the UK is gonna crash out with no business deals whatsoever in a couple months.

So who's left to race to space with exactly? Brasil? You know what, I'll take a Brasil vs China space race.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:18:46 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 21, 2019, 10:22:33 AM »

And meanwhile Trump keeping the USA's government shut down until they give him billions of bucks to build a giant wall with Mexico and the EU is busy with the bit where the UK is gonna crash out with no business deals whatsoever in a couple months.

So who's left to race to space with exactly? Brasil? You know what, I'll take a Brasil vs China space race.

They could space race with Russia (theoretically).  The USA has been using Russian rockets for a while now.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 21, 2019, 05:17:23 PM »

I'd take that action. Maybe I can become the first Brazillian to punch the moon.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #488 on: January 21, 2019, 09:26:51 PM »
Unfortunately Brazil's space program is all but dead... I'd really really like that not to be the case, but alas, we're not exactly a very wealthy country, and our politicians can't even manage to properly manage basic things like roads, railways, sanitation, affordable housing, education and basic infrastructure... We're decades away from having a proper space program. We have to fix a lot of stuff before we go down that road.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 26, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
Good news! My friend's boyfriend works on diesel vehicles and was able to change my glowplug, saving me a MINIMUM of $400. He also refused payment, so I gave his girlfriend a bunch of MTG cards and told them to come abuse my free movie pass thing for working at the theatre.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »
Good news! My friend's boyfriend works on diesel vehicles and was able to change my glowplug, saving me a MINIMUM of $400. He also refused payment, so I gave his girlfriend a bunch of MTG cards and told them to come abuse my free movie pass thing for working at the theatre.

Wanna be my friend?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 31, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »
Grats to Nytemare, load off your mind.

Brazil can probably recapitulate all of the science, and almost all of the simulations, for a space program.  But right now those physics phds can get way more $$ from the local big banks setting up the same stuff wall street has recently done.  USA ran as high as 4% of the gov during the moon race, but generally below 1% since.  It wasn't just a drag on the economy from too much military spending, rather it was research and development.  Necessary and how do you tell what the benefits are? (especially if focused on ultra short term only).

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #492 on: January 31, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
Grats to Nytemare, load off your mind.

Brazil can probably recapitulate all of the science, and almost all of the simulations, for a space program.  But right now those physics phds can get way more $$ from the local big banks setting up the same stuff wall street has recently done.  USA ran as high as 4% of the gov during the moon race, but generally below 1% since.  It wasn't just a drag on the economy from too much military spending, rather it was research and development.  Necessary and how do you tell what the benefits are? (especially if focused on ultra short term only).

What i see as the problem here in Brazil is how science and research spending here makes absolute zero sense.

FOR EXAMPLE:

We have two government organizations that sponsor prospective Masters and Doctorate students: CAPES and CNPq. Both pay a pretty piss poor amount of money per month to the students, and impose some pretty serious restrictions. For example, they can't teach while they receive the money. Its considered that they are in exclusive dedication to the research program and therefore can't have obligations outside of the program. But what they pay is PITIFUL, really, you can't live on that alone. So you have future doctors and masters of sciences working entry level jobs or teaching high school biology under wraps just to keep themselves afloat while they finish the program.

Meanwhile, every promising research student in Brazil is quickly approached by members of universities overseas, from USA to Europe and Asia, who offer much much much better opportunities for them, with free housing of actual good quality, a monthly income that affords them a decent standard of living, and in some cases, a contract promising them a position to teach in the University at the end of the program.

So, what ends up happening is, almost EVERYONE that actually has a research that shows promise quickly leaves Brazil, and many, maybe even most of them, never come back to live here again. Job prospects, research prospects, the money, the standard of living, EVERYTHING is better, and the government isn't doing fuck all to keep all of these very valuable brains inside Brazil.

It's a massive crisis. To make matters worse, CAPES and CNPq demand that all graduate students that are sponsored by them publish a number of papers per year, as well as maintaining a given rating on their papers.

Well... Since many don't really have the time to actually publish those papers because the actually important research takes so long, and because the research is going to take a very long time to actually produce publishable results, what ends up happening is the co-signing of papers.

Yes, really.

Graduate Student A has a paper they'll be publishing, and they know Students B and C. He knows B and C will be publishing soon. They all talk it out and agree that all three of them will sign together on every one of the papers. So now, as far as CAPES and CNPq knows, they all published 3 papers each, and doesn't rescind their sponsorship.

Another consequence of this utterly dumb system is papers of pitifully poor quality are produced to meet the quota. It's bad, it's really really bad.

But i digress.

This is only ONE symptom of a much, MUCH larger issue with education in Brazil...

The fact is, we don't really have one. On most of the country, education is from non-existent to very poor. Only in major cities and capitals you have public education that goes from mediocre to actually very good, but mediocrity is the rule and the very good schools end up as hotly contested as private schools and you end up with rich kids that could pay for private education "stealing" the opportunities away from poorer students.

I work with people in a poor area of my city... I see many more illiterate people in their 20's and 30's than the government statistics would seem to indicate. Some of them can actually read, but don't. They don't read books, magazines, newspapers...  They don't read anything, and only sign their names. The result is, they are literate as far as making a sound from written symbols is concerned and using Whatsapp and Tinder, but they don't understand shit. They're functionally illiterate, and the amount of functionally iliterate people here is mind bogglingly high.

A space program wouldn't fix anything. If anything, it'd make things worse. Brazil needs a reform from the ground up. People that live here know this, but most of the international community doesn't.

Our universities are good, but some, not all of them, and they serve a very, VERY small number of the population, mostly those who can afford the private education needed to score high enough to actually get in. And when they graduate, they leave the country, or stay for 2 to 8 years pursuing graduate degrees and THEN leave the country. Meanwhile, elementary, middle and high-school education continues to be shit.

Sanitation is shit. Public transport is shit. Police is shit. Politicians are shit. EVERYTHING.

Could Brazil whip up a space program out of the ass and have it done in 10 years if someone really wanted it? Yeah, we probably could, yeah. Brazil is a large economy, after all. It's also a large country, and funds would have to be diverted from other important things, but they already are, so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

It also wouldn't help much of anything, really. We need reforms from the ground up, we need infrastructure, sanitation, and we need to develop the interior, that still lives more or less in the 1900's, if not the 1800's. A nation can't really become relevant if 90+% of its territory is more or less a shithole that nobody cares about and produces nothing of value whatsoever. We also need to grow out of being a granary state, we rely too much on agriculture, on selling meat and eggs. We have to take raw materials and produce resources, and right now, we don't.

We export our national riches and get a living wage off of it that goes straight to the pockets of the corrupt, and is never spent on actually making the country better.

But honestly, we're the ones to blame. Brazilians don't really get angry enough at the government. Shit like what's happening here goes on in the US of A and you'll have a government takedown by force in no time, blood would flow and order restored. But here we're all about peaceful protests, we never had a bloody civil war, hell, we barely even had any wars at all. The ones we did have over here we were vastly superior, like the Paraguay War or War of the Triple Alliance, and the troops we sent to WW1 and WW2 were very small dettachments if compared to what other countries sent, and lost. And our coast never saw much action at all, just a few ships sunk by nazi U-Boats and not much of anything else of note.

The problem lies within Brazilian culture, and until that changes, and culture takes a long long time to do so, we're not really going to fare much better than we have so far. Japan is what it is because of the culture of its people. Same as China and India. They were all shitholes not that long ago but look at them now. People love to put Brazil in the same bin as China and India, but i feel like we're very very far from that still, even if India has as many shitholes and many of the same problems as Brazil.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 11, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
The smaller tank is a testor's Classic M4A3 Tank Model Kit screw together, the bigger is an m48a2 patton monogram kit. The Patton was my first glue kit outside of a WH40K model I have. I'm going to be painting the patton soon, I think and either it or the M4 will go into a diorama of some sort.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 23, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »

... But honestly ...

That level of honesty and detail, will serve you and yours well.

The economist Jeffrey Sachs worked on Russia's transition out of their old system.  He did OK, they didn't do as well.  But he learned from his mistakes.  He has said the number 1 thing developing economies can do to help themselves, is to do real Sewage systems.  It's my understanding Sao Paulo is nearly complete in it's upgrade, and then they can branch out to Rio and the rest of the country.  It should work and the benefits are real.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #495 on: February 24, 2019, 12:41:39 PM »

... But honestly ...

That level of honesty and detail, will serve you and yours well.

The economist Jeffrey Sachs worked on Russia's transition out of their old system.  He did OK, they didn't do as well.  But he learned from his mistakes.  He has said the number 1 thing developing economies can do to help themselves, is to do real Sewage systems.  It's my understanding Sao Paulo is nearly complete in it's upgrade, and then they can branch out to Rio and the rest of the country.  It should work and the benefits are real.

Basic infrastructure and roads/trains make a great nation. You simply can't become great unless you have that. The USA wouldn't be what it is today if it hadn't laid the foundation all those years ago.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #496 on: February 24, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
also, they are all crumbling.
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2019, 07:01:39 AM »
Gotta give it to the ancient romans, they built infrastructure that's still working nowadays. In my home country there was even a still used roman bridge in my region then the local government made a big fanfare about building a new modern bridge so the peple wouldn't need to depend in the who-knows-how-old bridge.

And they built it.

And then winter came and there was a big storm.

And when the sky cleared the fancy new bridge had collapsed and the roman bridge was still standing in one piece!

They also developed special concrete for coastal areas that's actually reinforced by the salt from the water so that stuff is also still standing despite a millennia and half of being hammered by waves!

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 27, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »
interesting stuff Osle

speaking of crumbling ...  :rolleyes

USA and UK are the two oldest governments in the world.
It should surprise no one that the various leaders are also the oldest (or nearly so).
Bernie is 77.  Biden is 76.  Trump is 72. Hillary is a spry 71.
Jeremy Corbyn is 69.  Vince Cable of the Lib Dems is 75.
Sclerotic.
"Appropriately" too.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #499 on: March 01, 2019, 08:58:06 PM »
Gotta give it to the ancient romans, they built infrastructure that's still working nowadays. In my home country there was even a still used roman bridge in my region then the local government made a big fanfare about building a new modern bridge so the peple wouldn't need to depend in the who-knows-how-old bridge.

And they built it.

And then winter came and there was a big storm.

And when the sky cleared the fancy new bridge had collapsed and the roman bridge was still standing in one piece!

They also developed special concrete for coastal areas that's actually reinforced by the salt from the water so that stuff is also still standing despite a millennia and half of being hammered by waves!

LMAO

romans op

pls nerf

oh wait

patch 0.476 already nerfed the Holy Roman Empire, carry on