Author Topic: Theoretical overkill - death by d6  (Read 5634 times)

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
Theoretical overkill - death by d6
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »
So I had this idea rolling around in my head that originated with a Monk/Rogue/Scout I played in a campaign before. The idea was to boost my attacks to absurd levels of damage using unarmed strike, sneak attack, and skirmish shenanigans. And What i ended up with was a ludicrous amount of d6 damage dice and a couple d8/d10.

I'm not 100% certain on how one would go about building this to be optimized but here is the basic concept and a few, in my opinion, important building blocks.

Ok so you'll want to start off with a race & template that combines as many of the following as possible:

Extra limbs
Tail
Small size (diminutive or somehow smaller preferred - will be explained later)
Natural claw attacks

Next you'll want to take levels in any classes that provide the following and optimize for greatest results:
Sneak Attack
Sudden Strike
Skirmish
Unarmed Strike damage increase

You'll pick up the following for weapons:
Beast Claws (one per hand + 2 extra - See magic)
Rogue Blade (held in tail - see feats)

Feats:
Perfect Multiattack (& prerequisites)
Perfect Multi-weapon Fighting (& prerequisites)
Multitasking (& prerequisites)
Prehensile Tail
Craven
Telling Blow
Improved Critical (& prerequisites)

Weapon/Armor Enchantments & other Magic items:
Anything & Everything that grants you extra Sneak Attack dice and other damage dice

Magic (obtained through whatever methods you can manage):
Fell the Greatest Foe
Hunter's Eye
Girallon's Blessing
Divine Sacrifice

Now for an explanation:
So once you get everything this is how it works

Beast Claws: 1d6 spiked gauntlet that becomes 2d6+claw damage and counts as unarmed if you have a natural claw attack. Your increase in unarmed strike damage should boost your claw damage netting you an upwards of 2d6+2d10 damage from your Beast Claws. Add in any bonus damage from enchantments and you could find yourself dealing around 8d6+2d10 damage with each claw.

Rogue Blade: Grants a constant Blink effect on the wielder thus allowing you to apply your sneak attack & sudden strike on ever attack. Like the claws you'll want to add as many damage increasing enchantments as you can find to this weapon as well.

Scout & Skirmish: Get as many Skirmish dice as you can manage and be sure to move at least 10 feet each round before attacking so you can apply your Skirmish.

Sneak Attack & Sudden Strike: Like Skirmish you will want to capitalize on these abilities and due to the Rogue Blade you need only attack your target to apply the extra damage.

Craven, Telling Blow, & Improved Critical Add your character level to Sneak Attack damage, then proceed to add your Sneak Attack Damage to your critical strikes, and double your threat range.

Extra Limbs & Feats for them: With each extra limb and the appropriate set of feats you will vastly increase your damage output. Combining the Insectile Template with a race that has a Tail and gaining the effects of Girallon's Blessing will net you effectively 9 usable limbs (8 arms + 1 tail). The Prehensile Tail feat lets you grasp items and weapons with your tail and treat it as if it were an extra arm & hand. Girallon's Blessing will give you an extra set of arms and a natural claw attack per arm as well as a 2d6 Rend ability.

Small Size & Smaller: The spell Fell the Greatest Foe is an interesting spell when placed on the smallest of creatures. When attacking a creature that is larger than you you deal a bonus 1d6 damage per size category larger. That's right, the smaller you are compared to your enemy the more damage you deal.

Hunter's Eye: Perhaps one of the most important spells to have access to for this build. It only lasts for one round but in that round you gain an extra 1d6 per 3 caster levels of the spell to your Sneak Attack. Now remember, you have the feat Telling Blow, so these bonus Sneak Attack dice also increase your Critical strike damage as well. And the best part about it, the bonus dice are not capped. If you can get it high enough you shouldn't need it for more than 1 round anyway.
(click to show/hide)

Divine Sacrifice: Like Hunter's Eye you may want to cast this spell on yourself before you attack. You'll sacrifice 10HP per round/CL to deal an extra 5d6 damage on the first successful attack each round. It's not a huge bonus but every little bit helps.
(click to show/hide)

Combat: As i mentioned before I am no expert at optimizing so I'm just going to use a few base reference numbers here. If anyone can provide me with an optimized template and the numbers to go with it I'll change this section to reflect it.

Sneak Attack: 10d6 +16d6(items) + Hunter's Eye + Character Level
Sudden Strike: 10d6 +16d6(items)
Skirmish: 5d6 +4d6(items)
Unarmed Strike: 2d10 (2d8 Small)

If I recall correctly there are a couple feats that allow you to stack your Rogue, Ninja, Scout, & Monk levels to determine each of these class features and more. So maximizing all of them shouldn't be impossible...

Assuming you are of Small Size using Medium Sized weapons and attacking a Colossal enemy, full iterative attacks and critical every hit, and moved at least 10ft. I know people have quoted CLs of an upwards of 3k through all sorts of shenanigans but for the sake of example lets just say Hunter's Eye was cast at a CL of 99 for a bonus of 33d6 Sneak Attack dice, this can be updated later if someone wants to provide me some more solid numbers. And an Epic character level of say 30.

32x 8d6+2d8 claw attack
4x 2d6 Rend
4x 6d6 Rapier
1x 5d6 Divine Sacrifice
32x 59d6+2d8+30 Critical Strike
4x 57d6+2d8+30 Critical Strike
36x 51d6+30 Sneak Attack
36x 26d6 Sudden Strike
36x 9d6 Skirmish
36x 5d6 Fell the Greatest Foe

that totals up to in a single full round attack dealing over 5,685d6+136d8+2,160 damage and that's without adding in strength or any other damage modifiers you may have.

If you miraculously rolled max damage on everything then you could hit up to 27,854 damage in a single round.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:05:55 PM by faeryn »

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical overkill - death by d6
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 03:45:52 AM »
If you can get your effective size for unarmed strike up to colossal, your punches deal 12d8 damage (Dungeon Master's Guide, p28).  There are a few ways to separate your character's actual size from the size used to calculate his unarmed damage, but greater mighty wallop (Races of the Dragon, p115) is the simplest. 

Actually, you can come pretty close to that without involving monk at all.  A maul (Complete Warrior, p154) made from gold (Magic of Faerun, p179) and under the full effects of greater mighty wallop deals 12d6 damage. 

Since this is You Break it You Buy It, lets take things further.  It could be argued that the reserves of strength feat (Dragonlance Campaign Setting, p86) allows greater mighty wallop to push past not only the 5 size category increase limit, but also the colossal size limit.  It can also be argued that extrapolation could be performed on the table for increasing weapon damage with size to determine the damage that results.  For a caster level of 100, that boosts a 20th-level monk to doing 25,165,824d8 damage per punch. 

Offline faeryn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
That's an interesting method to gain more dice that I never would have thought of... if only it worked with slashing/piercing damage weapons then it could be combined with Natural Claw Attacks & Beast Claws too... Since having a natural claw attack turns your unarmed into either slashing or piercing (i can't remember which) and Beast Claws deal piercing due to being Spiked Gauntlets. Neither of which would function with Greater Mighty Wallop.

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »
And of course, you could just toss on a few ranks in UMD and a couple of host feats. Acquire extra limbs through your method of choice (having your wizard buddy planar bind a Sibriex makes it free through fiendish limbs) and attach Ectoplasmic Fists to get all the size modifier you need.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »
Rokujuichibi: 1,924,145,348,608d8 per Unarmed Strike. :p

Ok, ok, ok, some help.

The Rouge spoiler in Class Boosters will show you how to buy another 25ish SA per strike.

Kell has a post up for a CL of 99. Hunter's Eye and a Collar of Venom & Admixtured Venomfire means +198d6 Acid & +33d6 SA per hit.

Don't forget a friendly Bard, even at the 1st level with full budget/Spells he hits 12d6 Dragonfire Inspiration.
And speaking of, Mystic Fire Admixtured Wreath of Flames is another +12d6 per hit.

That's +280d6 so far...

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
This is totally minor, but I thought Wreathe of Flames was just +1d6 damage per hit. 

Offline faeryn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »
Rokujuichibi: 1,924,145,348,608d8 per Unarmed Strike. :p

Ok, ok, ok, some help.

The Rouge spoiler in Class Boosters will show you how to buy another 25ish SA per strike.

Kell has a post up for a CL of 99. Hunter's Eye and a Collar of Venom & Admixtured Venomfire means +198d6 Acid & +33d6 SA per hit.

Don't forget a friendly Bard, even at the 1st level with full budget/Spells he hits 12d6 Dragonfire Inspiration.
And speaking of, Mystic Fire Admixtured Wreath of Flames is another +12d6 per hit.

That's +280d6 so far...

I looked through that spoiler and couldn't see 25d6 SA like you said with it... I did total up 16d6 though (your 25d6 probably includes the +6d6 wand-cast Hunter's Eye & another +3d6 that I can't locate anywhere on that list) Since we're getting Hunter's Eye cast at CL 99 for +33d6 already using a wand to cast it for only +6d6 would serve no purpose and have no effect. (I forgot Hunter's Eye is CL/3... thought it was CL/4... I'll update the OP to correct this and i'll lower the CL100 to CL99)

Funny enough... reading through that resource list caused me to realize i have been rolling 3 fewer d6 on my sneak attacks than I should for the past 2 months in the campaign I've been playing... i have +5d6 from items and I've only been remembering to add +2d6 from items

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »
This is totally minor, but I thought Wreathe of Flames was just +1d6 damage per hit.
It's 2d6, Ring of Mystic Fire increases this by +4d6, total +6d6. Admixture for 12d6.

I looked through that spoiler and couldn't see 25d6 SA like you said with it...
To be honest, I didn't count them. But Shapechanging into a Gloom gives +13d6 SA so I guess that'll help hit +25d6 :p

Edit - What was I thinking? "you be honest" changed to "to be honest" like it should have been.
Also link to Kell's post: http://community.wizards.com/comment/33869816#comment-33869816
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:45:33 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline faeryn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:20:32 AM »
It's 2d6, Ring of Mystic Fire increases this by +4d6, total +6d6. Admixture for 12d6.

I looked through that spoiler and couldn't see 25d6 SA like you said with it...
You be honest, I didn't count them. But Shapechanging into a Gloom gives +13d6 SA so I guess that'll help hit +25d6 :p

It's pretty amazing how many little damage increases you can stack together with a little preparation to land an over the top series of blows with enough dice rolls that you'd be rolling dice all night if you didn't use a virtual dice roller... even without the additional damage bonuses ya'll have provided there's not much that would survive an assault from 5,685d6+136d8+2,160... dealing between 7,981 and 37,358 in a single round would likely kill just about anything... gain an extra action & add in all the additional bonuses from ya'lls posts and you could easily double if not triple that damage output.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »
Hunter's Eye with one of my Mind Mages.  Several thousand dice for anything that's dice dependent.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
And then you go up against a coven of mages that all benefit from Delay Death & Hide Life~! :p

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 12:48:15 AM »
And then you go up against a coven of mages that all benefit from Delay Death & Hide Life~! :p

One CL 93458349-omfgzorez MDJ later...