Author Topic: [Help please?] OP Divine/Arcane Build  (Read 2935 times)

Offline lordvalinar

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
[Help please?] OP Divine/Arcane Build
« on: December 13, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »
EDIT: Okay so I went with the Duskblade(5) / Abjurant Champion(5) / Chameleon(10) build but the handbook seems.... wrong to me. It says the Extra Slot(complete arcane) would access the 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell slots (taken 3 times) but when I look at it in Complete Arcane, it says NOTHING of the sort. It says it gives you extra slots sure, but more like spells known (aka 5th level wizard knows X amount of 3rd level spells, well take this feat now he has (X+1)) which makes that kind of a useless and waste of a feat to me.

Is there any clarification on this, or help to actually "unlock" the 7th, 8th, and 9th level slots for this build? I would really appreciate it ^_^
Handbook: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=135.0

Exact quote from Complete Arcane:
Benefi t: You gain one extra spell slot in your daily allotment,
at any level up to one lower than the highest level of
spell you can currently cast. For example, a 4th-level sorcerer
(maximum spell level 2nd) gains either an extra 0-level or 1stlevel
slot, and is able to cast any spell he knows of the chosen
level one more time each day. Likewise, a 4th-level wizard can
prepare any extra 0-level or 1st-level spell he knows. Once
selected, the extra spell slot never changes level.

----

If at all possible I would like some help with a current build that I'm working on (and so far allowed by DM) but I am questioning whether or not it is the most optimal build for divine/arcane casters.... (also I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure if it meant to be here or Min/Max 3.x, just trying to get the most OP/broken aspect out of arcane/divine builds ^_^)

Level #: Class (archtype if any) - Source(3.5 or PF)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 01-10: Wizard (Spirit Whisperer) - Pathfinder
Level 11-12: Ur-Priest - 3.5 Complete Divine
Level 13-20: Mystic Theurge - Pathfinder
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was a build where only used 1 level of Ur-Priest but the interpretation was it only adjusts the Ur-Priest's Caster Level = UrP level + 1/2 other casting class levels, and thus does not qualify for the 3rd level spells needed to get Mystic Theurge.

THE PROBLEM: She is a neutral evil mage planning on lichdom, so the PrC such as Rainbow Servant is out :\ (which I heard was a good choice for a Beguiler/something build). And also ... maybe a personal problem that I will have to remedy myself, but I like gish mages. Most of my spells are all about buffing myself (I was even allowed a 4e feat "Melee Training" or something like that so I could choose Intelligence (which adds INT bonus to attack, and 1/2 INT bonus to damage). So obviously my mistake there would be I should probably go Duskblade/Chameleon or something similar I'm guessing... but I'll worry about that later :P Sorry I get sidetracked.

THE SOLUTION: So ignoring the TL;DR portion of the above paragraph, I'm just looking for optimization of arcane/divine builds for evil mages. The Gish portion I'll adapt for myself. I've already got some Twilight armor and plan on using Swift Spell Metamagic for later.

THE ALTERNATE: Would possibly forsaking my love of wizards so much that to make my gish arcane/divine would: Duskblade / Abjurant Champion / Chameleon be a viable choice? (I understand I probably wouldn't have as many spells - unless I can abuse the Bonus Feat feature (Extra Spell)) but since most of my spells are based on buffing myself and assisting in combat anyways, I would probably want to go this route anyways I'm assuming.

EDIT: Forgot stats:
Current Race: Human
Current Level: 5 (Duskblade)
Current Scores:
STR[14]
DEX[12]
CON[13]
INT[18]
WIS[14]
CHA[10]

Current Feats (that are relevant):
Starting Feat - Melee Training(Int) - 4th Edition, allows use of the ability score chosen - Score Bonus applied as attack modifier instead of STR by default, 1/2 of ability bonus is applied to damage instead of STR by default).

Human Bonus - Able Learner

Lv3 - Versatile Spellcaster

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:57:27 AM by lordvalinar »

Offline OblivionSmurf83

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: [Help please?] OP Divine/Arcane Build
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 03:23:33 AM »
EDIT: Okay so I went with the Duskblade(5) / Abjurant Champion(5) / Chameleon(10) build but the handbook seems.... wrong to me. It says the Extra Slot(complete arcane) would access the 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell slots (taken 3 times) but when I look at it in Complete Arcane, it says NOTHING of the sort. It says it gives you extra slots sure, but more like spells known (aka 5th level wizard knows X amount of 3rd level spells, well take this feat now he has (X+1)) which makes that kind of a useless and waste of a feat to me.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying you don't understand how the 'Reaching higher level casting' section of the Handbook works?

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
Re: [Help please?] OP Divine/Arcane Build
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
Method 1a: I gain the ability to cast 9th level spells from a touchstone which is a temp ability. I use that temp ability to qualify for Extra slot and buy 7th, 8th, 9th level spells.

Any sane DM says, "The feats become inactive if the touchstone ability ever goes away. You find yourself making an annual pilgrimage to the touchstone every year.

Method 1b: Again, bootstrapping. I find a way to heighten a spell to two levels higher then what I normally can cast. I'm now casting X+2 as my Max Spell. I learn Extra Slot at level Max - 1. Repeat threee times, 9th level spell.

Requires the DM to allow players to cast 10th spells pre-epic. Also for the DM to be smoking crack to let the players get away with it.

Method 2: Depends on method 1 to work in some fashion, but then you add ACTUAL spells, as opposed to merely heightened spells.

All of them simply depend on your DM saying, "Alright, you blew enough feats and came up with enough BS. I'll let it work now."

Basically.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting