Author Topic: Pathfinder Online  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Pathfinder Online
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »
An MMO adaptation of the Pathfinder RPG is coming out.
https://goblinworks.com/
EDIT: The link apparently "raised some security concerns" at GitP, though I can't find any details. Could be just the HTTPS.

Take a look at the FAQ. They're using the setting of the RPG, but not the mechanics or playstyle. Um... I don't know anything about Pathfinder's setting. :tongue
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:54:29 AM by Prime32 »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder Online
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:38:44 AM »
Not too hopeful for it personally, but its a good sign that they're using the setting more than the mechanics. Translating mechanics is always a problem there, but the setting itself isn't bad.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:29:51 AM »
Take a look at the FAQ. They're using the setting of the RPG, but not the mechanics or playstyle. Um... I don't know anything about Pathfinder's setting. :tongue

Wait, you, the biggest PF fan on this forums, doesn't know anything about its setting? I guess it makes sense since they make their crunch available for free but not their fluff and adventures. :P

Also yes, converting mechanics is always a problem. I know this firsthand after having joined a quite ambitious project to make Dawn of War properly replicate the tabletop Warhammer 40K. They managed to acomplish a lot of things, but eventually quite ugly problems started rearing their heads and nobody could find a proper solution.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:31:39 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Nicklance

• Strongest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »
Until they get computers to work as well as the human mind, trying to port what is essentially a human's job at DM-ing into the PC medium would not work out well.
Will add later

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »
you, the biggest PF fan on this forums
I think most of the designers and many of the fans are crazy, I have played in exactly one PF game (which was heavily houseruled), and mostly I just treat the books as splats for 3.5e.

And yet that could be true, depending on what you mean by "big". :tongue (there's people here who know the game better than I do, they just don't write as much homebrew)

EDIT: Yes, I get all my knowledge from the SRD.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:06:12 PM by Prime32 »

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »
I know a bit about the setting from the Player's Guide to Golarion that was released when Paizo were still making adventure paths for 3.5, and I remember liking it. It's better work than most of their rules.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
They're primarily setting, adventure path and scenario writers(most of the good ideas in the rules were introduced by guest designers, not permanent staff or high level decisions). It makes sense to play to their strengths.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »
Until they get computers to work as well as the human mind, trying to port what is essentially a human's job at DM-ing into the PC medium would not work out well.

Engineer: Sir, we've managed to finally develop a computer as advanced as an human brain!
Chief: Excellent! Now we can finally perform the direct conversion of tabletop rpgs to video games!
Engineer: ... Don't you have any better idea to use computers that are smart as us?
Chief: Nothing could be more important than porting the ultimate D&D experience!

I think I'll be satisfied with just having those computers. :P

Offline McBeardly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:05:51 PM »
On the other hand goblins will not be a playable race, this will be a travesty regardless of gameplay quality.