Author Topic: Hell has frozen over... and changed it's name to Iowa.  (Read 3134 times)

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
Hell has frozen over... and changed it's name to Iowa.
« on: November 27, 2011, 01:32:06 PM »
I recently moved to Iowa City to attend the University of Iowa for a while.  Needless to say, I have been living in a much warmer climate for over a decade and so questions of "Why?" have been the joke that never gets old with me.

Well, today it all went to shit.  I went to Omaha to spend time with family for Turkey Day and the next day's football game (at least half of the family wound up happy) and was on my return trip this morning (morning means 1am) on a budget bus operation.  Budget being the key word, here, because apparently they gave us a bus that couldn't finish the trip back from Omaha to Iowa City.  We were stranded on the side of the road for 3 hours on a bus with no heating while the driver kept asking for another bus but the guy on the other end kept trying to get the bus driver to fix it (which was never going to happen, it was completely dead) before another bus came and got us.

When the next bus came along, we got to have another, little mini-drama with our baggage.  Since the bus was completely dead, some of the cargo areas with opening mechanisms relying on air pressure were dead.  As a result, my bag with half of my clothes and toiletries was now suck on the bus along with everything else.  What's more, after the second bus left, the manager decided to have us double-back and pick up the driver of the last bus, wasting another hour of time.  The hilarious thing is that in this time, the other driver thought he had figured out how to get into the remaining baggage compartments and get us our bags, so we were all made to march out in the middle of a fucking freezing night in the middle of nowhere, yet again, to wait to be told that no, our bags really were stuck for a while.

So, fast forward a bit... my bus, scheduled to arrive at 2:40 am in Iowa City, arrived at 6:40 am, instead.  Exhausted from the whole thing, I go back to my apartment, find it cold inside, and go to turn on the heater.  It's broken.  What. The. Fuck.  I pick up a pizza and head to a nearby wifi hotspot to spend the day, which is where I am posting from now.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Hell has frozen over... and changed it's name to Iowa.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »

:twitch ... and the tryptophan didn't make you sleepy either.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:42:41 PM »
What was the problem with the first bus? Here in the UK all sorts of transportation find it fashionable to take a day off when someone within a thousand miles has seen a snowflake, so I am kind of used to buses, trains and airplanes sucking big time.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »
hugs fo x

buy a dozen kitties.  we make for good winter company

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:31 AM »
Buses are HORRIBLE to begin with. I had a 8 hour trip in front of me and thought, hey why not take the bus. My PoS at the time was held together with spit and tape and it was reasonably the same price gas wise.

The bus was too full at one site and had to wait two hours for another, that driver didn't know where the hell he was going, and I had a 6 hour lay over because they were late and didn't know how the hell to manage passengers vs number of seats on a bus. To top everything off my online ticket plotted only a 9 hour trip with layovers, but the agent printed mine out for another route which was 12 some how.

So when a 16 hour trip was thrown at me, I drove anyway. Blew a brake pad so hard I ground most of my roter away but it was worth it. I even have got there faster than the expected too, ticket free.

Moral of the story: Drive. Burrow your Mom's car if you have to, buses are hell.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »
Depends on the place, they are fine in Finland. Burrowing a car is probably a bad choice everywhere.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:29 AM »
Ride Greyhound. That is all.
Hmm.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »
You get what you pay for.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:29:12 PM »
What was the problem with the first bus? Here in the UK all sorts of transportation find it fashionable to take a day off when someone within a thousand miles has seen a snowflake, so I am kind of used to buses, trains and airplanes sucking big time.
First it started making funny noises, then it wasn't accelerating very well (the driver really revved the engine, but we only went a little faster).  The driver then decided to pull over and re-start the engine, but after he cut it, it wouldn't start again.  IIRC, that's how old Ford cars die.

You get what you pay for.
So true.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 02:25:35 PM »
Depends on the place, they are fine in Finland. Burrowing a car is probably a bad choice everywhere.
Maybe if you had a drill...
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »
Maybe if you had a drill...
It must still be at least rude towards the owner of the car.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
In any case, it seems that my landlord is kinda awesome, and my heating was fixed last night before I went back to my apartment to go to sleep.  The worst-case scenario for this weekend has, therefore, been averted.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
I go back to my apartment, find it cold inside, and go to turn on the heater.  It's broken.

When my sister was going to college in Minneapolis, she got back from Christmas break '04 to find her radiator pipes frozen solid. 

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »
No heat gets old fast.
Stranded in the middle of the night + "gravy" = ouch.

USA buses suck, and it's intentional via older style GM politicking.
Hopefully people will start moving around via instructions from their Blackberrys.
No really.
Your codpiece is a mimic.