Author Topic: Tome Dragon  (Read 23901 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Tome Dragon
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »
Tome Dragon

d8 HD
LevelBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecial
1st+0+2+0+2Dragon Body, Alternate Form, Mutable Breath, Lore, +1 Int
2nd+1+3+0+3Keen Senses, Book Blood
3rd+2+3+1+3Blindsense 60 foot, Distant Speech, +1 Wis
4th+3+4+1+4Wings, Wise Arcana
5th+3+4+1+4Lesser Tome Casting
6th+4+5+2+5Free Metamagic, +1 Wis
7th+5+5+2+5Advanced Tome Casting
8th+6+6+2+6Knowledge Domain, Well Read
9th+6+6+3+6Cunning Combatant, +1 Int
10th+7+7+3+7Lorewyrm, Adept Tome Casting, +1 Wis
11th+8+7+3+7Master of Knowledge
12th+9+8+4+8Magic of Foresight, Arcane Skin, +1 Int
13th+9+8+4+8Iron Scales, Intellectual Higher Ground, +1 Int, +1 Wis
14th+10+9+4+9Greater Tome Casting, Growth
15th+11+9+5+9Logical Deduction, +1 Int, +1 Wis
16th+12+10+5+10Dragon Scrolls, +1 Int
17th+12+10+5+10Supreme Tome Casting, +1 Int, +1 Wis
18th+13+11+6+11Careful Read, +1 Int
19th+14+11+6+11Greater Magic of Foresight, +1 Int, +1 Wis
20th+15+12+6+12Flawless Foreknowledge, +1 Int, +1 Wis

4 Skill points+int per level, quadruple at 1st level. Class skills:  Concentration, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Heal,  Hide, Spot, Listen, Move Silently, Bluff, Intimidate, Knowledge(any), Search, Spellcraft, Swim.

Proficiencies:
Its own natural weapons.

Dragon Body: At 1st level of this class the Tome Dragon loses all racial bonus and gains dragon traits(60ft Darkvision, low light vision, and immunity to sleep and paralysis). It is a Medium Dragon, 2 claws doing 1d6 + 1/2 Str modifier, a bite doing 1d8 + Str modifier damage and a base speed of 40 foot. The claws are capable of fine manipulation.

The Tome dragon also has a natural armor bonus equal to half his Con modifier. The Tome Dragon also gains an insight bonus to AC equal to the lower of 1/3 its HD or its Wis modifier, minimum 1.

Alternate Form (Su): A Tome dragon can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action 1/day for each HD it has. The dragon can remain in its animal or humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Mutable Breath: At first level, the Tome Dragon gains a breath weapon that deals 1d4 damage/HD of one of the following types: Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic. This breath weapon deals a burst of damage with a radius of 5’ per 3 HD the dragon has (minimum 5’, range as a spell with large range at a caster level equal to the dragon’s HD). A reflex save halves this damage (DC is 10+1/2 HD+Con mod). You can change the damage type every time you use it.

Lore: As the bardic knowledge class feature, using Tome Dragon levels.

Ability increase: The tome dragon gains the following permanent ability bonuses at the following levels:

LevelBonus
1st +1 Int
3rd +1 Wis
6th+1 Wis
9th +1 Int
10th +1 Wis
12th+1 Int
13th +1 Int, +1 Wis
15th +1 Int, +1 Wis
16th +1 Int
17th+1 Int, +1 Wis
18th+1 Int
19th +1 Int, +1 Wis
20th +1 Int, +1 Wis

So at 20 level it has +10 Int, +8 Wis.

Keen senses: The Tome Dragon sees four times as well as a human in shadowy illumination and twice as well in normal light. It also has darkvision out to 120 feet.

Book Blood:A Tome dragon receives spells known and spells per day as a Wizard of 3/4 of his level, but he has CL equal to his HD. If he multiclasses as a Wizard, the casting stacks.

Dragon level Wizard casting
1-

If a tome dragon takes a casting prc, it may choose to advance his casting as that of a wizard. So a dragon 10/loremaster 10 would cast as a 17th level wizard.

Unlike a normal wizard, the tome dragon needs to hold the spellbook from which he prepared his magic that day to cast a spell as an additional material focus. He can attach the spellbook to its scales to satisfy this ability, but then anyone can pull it off with a sucessful melee touch attack and winning a Str check against the tome dragon.

Blindsense: as the normal ability, range 60 ft.

Distant Speech: At 3rd level the Tome Dragon can communicate telepathically with any creature within 20’. The range of its telepathy increases by 10’ for each odd-numbered HD after 3 the tome dragon achieves.

Wings: At 4th level the Tome Dragon can fly at a speed of 10 ft/HD with good maneuverability. Wings can be used to attack, doing 1d4 + Str damage.

Wise Arcana:
At 4th level, the Tome Dragon may choose a number of spells on his spellbook equal to his Wis modifier. He can now cast those spells whitout needing the spellbook as an additional material focus. He may change those chosen spells every time he levels up.

Tome Casting: Starting at 5th level, a Tome dragon can use some spells as spell-like abilities with a caster level to its HD and DCs being 10+1/2 HD+Wis mod, a certain number of times per day.

Lesser: at 5th level, a Tome dragon can use the spell Arcane Sight 1/day per HD.
Advanced:
at 7th level, a Tome dragon gains the ability to use the spell Clairaudience/Clairvoyance as a spell-like ability 1/day per 3 HD.
Adept: at 10th level, a Tome dragon gains the ability to use the spell True Seeing as a spell-like ability 1/day per 3 HD.
Greater: at 14th level, you gain the ability to use the spell Plane Shift as a spell-like ability 1/day per 5 HD.
Supreme: at 17th level, you gain the ability to use the spell Hindsight as a spell-like ability 1/day per 5 HD.

Free Metamagic: At 6th level, a Tome Dragon can subtract 1 from the level adjustment of any spell it casts using a metamagic feat. This ability applies once per spell and cannot reduce the level adjustment of the spell below 0.

At 12th level, a Tome Dragon can subtract 2 from the level adjustment of any spell it casts using a metamagic feat, subject to the same restrictions as before.

At 18th level, a Tome Dragon can subtract 3 from the level adjustment of any spell it casts using a metamagic feat, subject to the same restrictions as before.

Well-Read: Tome Dragons don’t just like knowledge – they’re obsessed with it in all its forms. At 8th level, Tome Dragons get a bonus to all knowledge checks equal to ½ their HD. In addition, at 8th level and every 3 levels thereafter, Tome Dragons learn a number of new languages equal to their Wisdom modifier. After all, if you can’t read a book or understand a tale, you can’t learn from it.

Domain: At level 8 Tome dragon can add the spells from the Knowledge Domain to his spellbook and ready them normally.

Cunning Combatant: At 9th level, Tome Dragons gain the ability to anticipate the actions of their foes in combat. When confronted with an enemy, a Tome Dragon may make a Knowledge check in the skill appropriate to identifying the enemy as a move action (Arcana for other dragons, Religion for undead, etc.) with a DC of 30. If that check succeeds, the Tome Dragon gains an insight bonus equal to half its Wisdom modifier (round down, maximum of its HD) to its AC, Touch AC, saving throws, and opposed checks against that enemy. This check cannot be re-rolled, and it applies to all creatures of the same species (so a Tome Dragon that made its Knowledge
(Arcana) check when faced with two wyrmling red dragons, one juvenile red dragon, and an ancient black dragon, could choose to gain this bonus against all three red dragons or against the black dragon, but not all the dragons facing it).

For every 10 points that the result of this check exceeds 30, the insight bonus increases by 1, up to a maximum of the Tome Dragon’s HD.

Talent for Sight: At 9th level, a Tome Dragon casts divination spells with a casting time measured in minutes, hours, days, or larger time intervals with amazing alacrity. The casting time of those divination spells is reduced by 10% per 5 HD (to a minimum of 10% of the normal casting time or one full round, whichever is longer).

Lorewyrm: At 10th level, Tome Dragons are no longer simply well-read or knowledge-obsessed – they have started to become a true incarnation of knowledge. They may read a number of mundane books, librams, or tomes equal to their Wisdom modifier each day, gaining a general understanding of the knowledge or stories contained within. Alternatively, a Tome Dragon may read one mundane book, libram, or tome per day and recall the information contained within with perfect accuracy for a number of days equal to its intelligence modifier; thereafter, the Tome Dragon simply recalls the contents as a casual reader would.

This ability does not allow a Tome Dragon to memorize, prepare, or copy the spells from a scroll or spellbook, nor does it affect magical texts such as a tome of understanding.

Master of Knowledge: At 11th level, a Tome Dragon gains a +2 bonus to its caster level when using divination spells or spell-like abilities.

Magic of Foresight: At 12th level, a Tome Dragon adds a divination spell from any spell list of a level it can cast to its spellbook.

Arcane Skin: At 12th level, a Tome Dragon gains SR equal to 11 + its HD.

Iron Scales: At 13th level, a Tome Dragon gains DR/magic equal to half its HD.

Intellectual Higher Ground:
Mind may rule over body, but a big body doesn't hurt either. At 13th level a Tome Dragon gains +1 to CL on his spells for each size category his targets are smaller than the the tome dragon. This only boosts spells that specifically target creatures, not area spells or orbs or similar.

Growth: At 14th level the Tome dragon grows one size category.  In addition, a Tome Dragon gains a Tail Slap attack dealing 1d8 damage.

Logical Deduction: Older Tome Dragons make Sherlock Holmes and Spock look positively illogical and short-sighted. A Tome Dragon of 15th level or higher is never surprised and may always take a standard action during a surprise round unless physically restrained (and even then, it can take mental actions). Further, Tome Dragons of at least 15th level gain both Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge, using their levels in Tome Dragon as their rogue level.

Dragon Scrolls: At 16th level the tome dragon may craft spell scrolls whitout paying exp for the crafting(but must still pay exp if the scroll spell demanded it), at the speed of 10 min per spell level, but if anyone else tries to use them, they incur a 20% failure chance that can't be prevented by any means, even Use Magic Device. In addition if the Tome Dragon casts from a scroll, he may choose to make its CL=HD and the DC become 10+1/2 HD+Wis mod. Extra gold costs for expensive components are still paid in full.

Careful Read:For a tome dragon any form of writing is a precious thing to treat with care, and eventually they become able to use a scroll whitout draining it of its power. At 18th level when using a magic scroll, there's a 75% chance the spell isn't consumed. If the spell replicated by the scroll had an expensive exp and/or gold component, then the chance it isn't consumed is reduced to 25%.

Greater Magic of Foresight: At 19th level, a Tome Dragon may add another divination spell from any spell list of a level it can cast to its spellbook.

Flawless Foreknowledge: At 20th level, a Tome Dragon’s knowledge transcends time and space, allowing it to choose the most favorable path. Each day, a Tome Dragon gains a number of Insight points equal to its Wisdom modifier. Spending an Insight point is a free action; a Tome Dragon may not spend more than one Insight point per round. By spending one of these points, the Tome Dragon may reroll any attack, saving throw, ability check, or skill check. Alternatively, the Tome Dragon may spend an Insight point to gain an additional standard action during its turn.

(click to show/hide)
Contributed by Solara
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:31:58 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Retrokinesis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Currently DMing 3.5 Eberron
    • View Profile
Re: Tome Dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »
Frail Body is on the chart, but not listed anywhere else.

Also, this is more of a general monster question: How do you know which natural weapons are primary? I ask since I'm running an all-monster game using your classes, and I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
Removed frail body, some leftover of the original draft.

As for figuring out which weapons are primary, if I didn't list it, then use the same ones of the original monster.

Also any feedback on how the monster classes behave in-game would be greatly apreciated!

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »
The Dragon Scrolls is a powerful ability - I approve, given that the natural alternative is a full caster ... needs some higher-level beef.  Possibly worth addressing spells that take exp or  gold.

At the mid levels, it lags a little - perhaps give a couple of free metamagic feats with which to better take advantage of the metamagic reduction?

Best,
David

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »
Adressed exp and gold costs.

I don't believe it lags at mid levels tough. You're geting abilities and stat bonus everywhere and you only don't progress full wizard casting at 9 and 13, both of which have extra stats and abilities to make up for it.

Offline solara

• this hurts my physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »
Sorry for being  . . . derpy and inconsistent. It's been an interesting year thus far *sigh*. On the other hand, I'm going back to school again, and hopefully not stopping until I get my degree. Assuming no more snafu's, of course. Yeah, right.  :lmao

But I love what you've done with the Tome Dragon - it's perfect, imo.

Offline bdf1992

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »
So, can you choose a specialized school with this?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 06:38:16 AM »
Yes, school specialization is inherent to wizard spellcasting if I remember correctly.

Offline bdf1992

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »
Sorry for another bother of a question, but my dm is stating I can use my breath weapon every round...I find that to be very OP, did you Mean to imply the 1d4 round time for a breath attack or is it really usable every round?

Edit:
Another question, the Dc for the breath weapon is only 10+con mod
I assume one of the 2nd because the 1st doesn't really scale with the class and most of the other things are as per caster level of his HD.

or its it 10+con mod+HD(1/2 HD?)
Found the rule it's 10+con+1/2 HD I believe
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:34:09 PM by bdf1992 »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
Considering its smaller damage than other dragon's breaths, and its much smaller range, I don't see it as that OP to be useable every round.

Altough to be honest, I don't have that dragon magazine and so I dunno if the original monster had cooldown or not. Trusting Solara on that point, unless someone can chip in to clarify.

Clarified the save DC.

Offline bdf1992

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
Thank you for all the help :)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 11:02:42 PM »
Considering its smaller damage than other dragon's breaths, and its much smaller range, I don't see it as that OP to be useable every round.

Altough to be honest, I don't have that dragon magazine and so I dunno if the original monster had cooldown or not. Trusting Solara on that point, unless someone can chip in to clarify.

Clarified the save DC.

Quote from: Dragon 343 p38
Arcane dragons posses all the standard true dragon traits (see page 68 of the Monster Manual), plus they gain the following special qualities:
In the Monster Manual the dragons cool-down isn't in the text for the breath weapons, because it's in the traits of True Dragons, under "Breath Weapon (Su):" on page 69.
Because of this the cool-down isn't mentioned in either the Tome or Hex dragon's entries, because it was already written in the MM.
Not sure if you care, but  the abilities that Tome and Hex dragons get under that entry are: the Alternate Form; the Graceful Flight, which causes their maneuverability to be good, rather than what dragons normally get; and ...
Quote from: Dragon 343 p38
Physical Frailty (Ex): Arcane dragons have shorter limbs and weaker natural weapons than other breads, and are far less suited to physical combat. When determining the type and damage dealt by their natural attacks, treat arcane dragons as if they were one size category smaller than they actually are (minimum Tiny), and subtract 5ft from the reach of all claw and wing attacks with a reach of 10ft or more.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
The tome dragon already has good flight maneuverability. Physical frailty is satisfied enough by the reduced HD and Bab, plus no Str or Con bonus when compared with the other dragon classes. Overall, I think it's good enough as it is. But thanks for the trouble of pointing out those abilities anyway.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
I was mostly just responding to the recharge time on the breath weapon questions.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
Growth: At 14th level the Tome dragon grows one size category gaining all bonus and penalties as stated on the 1st page of this thread.  In addition, a Tome Dragon gains a Tail Slap attack dealing 1d8 damage.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »
Fixed as well.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »
Ability increase line references Gold Dragon.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54:15 AM »
Fixed.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »
The class doesn't have a proficiency feature. I'd assume it's proficient with its natural weapons and no armor?

Also, is the energy type of its breath weapon chosen when the character is created or can it switch between types each use? The name "Mutable Breath" implies the latter but the text doesn't mention it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:20:54 AM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »
Added proficiencies and clarified breath.