Author Topic: The Long Road to Glory  (Read 94465 times)

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
  • I should've seen that coming
    • View Profile
The Long Road to Glory
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
Zhona is the most prosperous city on the northern plains, renowned for its sophisticated culture, its technological advances, and its military might. The high-walled city stands as a beacon of civilization unrivaled by any other kingdom, and from his palace in the center of town King Alm Frost oversees it all. Merchants of all varieties can be found here, peddling their wares and haggling with customers. Crimson-clad sentries patrol the walls and gates, while the blue-clad city watch patrols the streets. It is well-known that these two groups have a friendly rivalry between them. Just outside the city in the rolling grassy plains, groups of young would-be knights are trained in all forms of combat, as well as in the intrigues of the court and the doctrines of chivalry.

A few months ago, trade has opened up between Zhona and the island nation of Ken Kosuta, bringing in exotic spices, fine silks, and some rather unusual creatures as well. Though all races are welcomed by Zhona, the people of the city are wary of the strange folk that have begun calling the mainland their home. The Zhonans have also been growing increasingly curious about a school of some sort that a man from Ken Kosuta established a few weeks ago. However, the school neither advertises what it teaches, nor does it ever seem to be open.

However, the people have began to feel that something is lurking in the shadows, something old and terrible. Old folktales recount how dragons once stalked the city, slaughtering anyone who dared to even glimpse at the knowledge or the treasure that was theirs. These old folktales have begun to resurface lately, even though a dragon has not been seen in many years. Along with the stories, old feelings of mistrust toward dragonfolk (half-dragons, kobolds, and the like) have begun resurfacing as well, and tension has been growing on the streets.

Most recently, a historical archivist named Toran McGraham has gone missing, seemingly vanished into thin air. The city watch is baffled by his disappearance, and rumors have been spreading, with everyone having theories more outrageous than the last. Some say that he left town without telling anyone, off to go unearth another piece of history, and just has not returned. Others speculate that in a bout of depression he killed himself, and that the city watch needs to be searching the bottom of the lake rather than questioning Toran's neighbors. Still others blame a young spellscale woman that lives in the area, accusing her of murdering the historian for stumbling upon some piece of dragon lore.

So, what are your characters doing in the city of Zhona?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road to Glory
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
Alth was walking the town, doing what many might consider "stalking" it.  Truthfully, he was.  The recent disappearance of Toran McGraham gave him a bad feeling in his gut.  He didn't believe it was just a coincidence that the archivist went missing after old folktales started circulating.

Within the past week he had personally disproven many of the rumors concerning McGraham's disappearance, including the mildly amusing claim that he was buried in his own secret library.  That "library" only consisted of a single shelf in the fellow's cellar.  Even Alth couldn't have been buried under those books.  (Took 20 on Open Lock to get in the house)

He took a break from stalking the town and sat down in the park to mull over some of the things he'd heard.  The scent of some new exotic plants from Ken Kosuta wafted over him.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:06:21 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
Artur was relatively new to town. As a knight, he sought a bit of fortune, but more than that he wished to enhance his reputation. He was up for just about any challenge, and went out into the world for a while to find it. However, he had found nothing. Thinking that perhaps there was no need for knight and his valiant steed anymore, he had almost considered retiring and becoming a farmer. That was until he'd heard of the prosperous city, Zhona, and the rumor that Toran McGraham had gone missing. This was perfect. Maybe he could be of service after all.

He was very surprised at all the technological marvels within the city's walls, as well as of the exoticism that was from Ken Kosuta. He quickly regained his composure, trying to not look like a non-local. However, he reminded himself that such wonders were meant to impress a person of any stature.

Riding Olwen, he decided to try and talk to a few of the locals about what they had heard, if anything. He was sure that a majority would be rumour without substance, but anything was better than nothing. He could sort out the details later.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
Claire arrived in town just some days ago; she was traveling from town to town, helping people here and there, with her last mentor, another Harmonious Knights called Henrik Steelsong, which was unfortunately not able to stick with her at Zhona. He had urgent tasks given to him and she couldn't come with him; that's all he said to her.

Claire was told Zhona is a great city, and it truly were; she was amazed by the amount of culture it had to offer. From time to time, she was hearing about the disappearance of Toran McGraham, plus the old tales of dragons bringing doom, and the things related. She needed to be careful about revealing too much about herself, considering what's running through her veins plus the current state of the city...

Nonetheless, Claire decided to try and investigate the archivist's case; the current accusations seemed to grossly steam from racism alone too much to her likings.

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »
It had been an interesting journey from his home citadel of Morathos, deep within the Dragonfang Mountain Range. It was his first time away from his home, but he was not scared nor hestitate. He had been awaiting this day for quite some time. It was tradition that most young samurais(and other dwarven warriros) spend a bit of time adventuring in their youth, both to expose them to the world outside of the dwarven cities and to strengthen them with new experiences as well as putting their training to practical use. He however had the honor of being given an assignment by his King, he was leaving with an actual purpose.

A small dwarf walked down the side of the main road, standing only three feet and 11 inches tall. Despite his small size there was a certain confidence about him. Blue eyes looked about his surroundings, he needed to find where gnomish weaponry was sold. His dark red hair was cut short while his carefully trimmed and groomed beard hung down past his belt buckle. This dwarf was clad in a very well-kept suit of studded leather, each metal stud having been carefully polished so it reflected the day's sunlight. On his back was sheathed a katana(along with a backpack), while a sheathed wakizashi was found near his left hip.

For now he was just doing a bit of exploring after entering the city's main gate. His first stop would be a tavern to secure room and board for the night, before he would then set about in the market area in search of merchants selling gnomish weaponry. For now he had hailed a guard, asking for directions.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:33:36 PM »
As Alth is resting in the park, enjoying the heady scents of the exotic imports, the sight of a newcomer to town catches his eye. The newcomer in question seems to be conversing with a city guard from horseback, though the exact nature of the conversation is hard to make out. Jackinthegreen, please make a Listen Check.

"Toran McGraham, you say?" the guard mutters, scratching his head as Artur questions him. "The archivist? Well, let me see if I remember anything that could help you." Kevin Video, please make a Gather Information check.

While looking into the case of the archivist, Claire finds herself in the merchant district of the city, one of Zhona's busiest sections of town. Townsfolk and travelers alike make their way down the wide main street, eager to find exactly what they're looking for. Shiki, please make a Spot check.

"The Silver Coin Tavern is just down the lane, across the street from the park," the guard informs dwarf, pointing with his spear down the busy market street while his partner behind him is engaged in conversation with a man on horseback. "Of course, The Black Scorpion is not too far from here either, though you don't strike me as the sort of fellow who would want to stay there." While the guard is talking, please give me a Spot check ShadowViper.

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
Spot 1d20-1 : 8 - 1, total 7

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:07 AM »
(click to show/hide)
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 05:38:15 AM »

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline lans

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »
Alton has been in town for a few years, and has been spending his time employed as a healer for his church, in his down time he often goes down to various bars for drinks.

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
"Well, I know that most folk around think that this spellscale girl killed him," the guard says to Artur, (Gather Information successful) oblivious to the fact that Alth could overhear every word. (Listen successful) "I don't really think that's the case though. She doesn't strike me as the type, though I suppose you could talk to her yourself if you're interested. Her name is Voitheia. Personally, I think it has something to do with those old ruins he was looking into not long before he disappeared. I think he went back for something. We sent a couple of mercenaries to go look into them, but we haven't heard back from them yet."

A short distance behind the two guards and the man on horseback, Nalbin spies a black-cloaked man quickly approaching a young woman from behind and to her left. This is unremarkable until the dwarf sees the flash of a hidden blade as the man draws closer to the girl.
(Spot successful) However, Claire does not seem to have noticed him. (Spot failed)

Everyone roll for initiative and tell me what you do on your turn. lans, make a Spot check as well.

Rolled 1d20+4 : 12 + 4, total 16

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »
"You don't believe her to be the culprit? Well that's good. Regardless of race, I don't much care for having to do harm to a lady. I would like to talk to her myself though. See what she might know. She may just tell me the same thing she's told everyone and their dog, but a lead is a lead. Thank you for your time good sir."

(click to show/hide)

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
"Lass! Watch out behind yeh! Guards! Tha' young lass be in danger!" As he says this, he rushes forward to her aid without hesitation. Drawing Dolard as he goes, holding his family's trusted battle companion in both hands. Making a downard slash in one smooth stroke as he reaches the cloaked figure.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:13:26 AM by ShadowViper »

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 09:17:40 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Being totally unaware of what's going, Claire will just continue what she was doing.

Initiative 1d20 : 6, total 6
(after the surprise round, etc)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »
1d20+7=23 initiative

The conversation between the guard and the man on horseback caught Alth's attention, and he stood up to make his presence known.  As he glanced in that direction he noticed the black-cloaked man and knew right away there was going to be trouble.  Thankfully he had a clear shot, so Alth pulled out his shortbow and fired.  As the arrow flew he noticed the dwarf call out and attack the man.  He chuckled a bit, glad someone else noticed the woman's would-be attacker.

1d20+4=21;1d4-2=-1(min 1 damage);1d6=2;3 damage total

(First time using online rolls. The above is the first set, so hopefully it'll work.  I'll make sure not to have it do multiple sets again.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:04:40 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:48 AM »
Alth's arrow flies true, striking the hooded man in the shoulder just as he raises his blade to strike Claire in the back. The hooded man lets out a cry of pain as he clutches at the wound, alerting everyone to his presence. Just as he recoils from the girl, Nalbin closes the gap and makes his attack. The hooded man tries to parry the attack with his short sword, but he reacts too slowly. The dwarf's katana slices downward across his chest and stomach, and the hooded man collapses to the ground, his life quickly fading away. The startled crowd quickly backs away from the scene, and at last the two guards take notice of the situation. The situation is quite clear to everyone at hand.

Speaking of everyone at hand, you all gain 75 exp.

So, what do you all do?

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 02:38:25 AM »
Artur took notice of the scene as well, and got off his horse, sword drawn. He eyed the two that fell the cloaked figure, questioningly, but said nothing to them. While he doesn't recognize them, he knew a finely crafted weapon of prestige when he saw one. Given that one of them had called out a warning, they were most likely not threats. Walking up to the fallen man, he looked down at him. Turning back to the guards, he yelled out to them.

"Quickly. Unless one of you can do it yourselves, fetch someone to patch him up before he dies. He may hold at least one answer to the questions we've been seeking. If not, perhaps he'll give us a lead. Regardless, you can arrest him afterwards."

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »
As the man behind her gets mowed down to agony in a flash, Claire turns around obviously surprised, gasping. Nervous, she nonetheless acknowledges the situation more or less quickly; she gets at a respectable distance from her dwarf savior and bows to Nalbin. As she gets up, she gives a brief look at the cloaked man on the ground behind her, and on a melodic tone she says:

"My, my! Why, thank you for saving my life, Master Dwarf, and whoever fired that arrow! How fortunate was I to have you passing by this street.. Could I see your face, Master Archer? How could I ever repay you both? Oh! and please someone help this poor man, quickly..."

She says this last line while giving another brief look at her would-be aggressor.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 06:53:30 PM »
Alth shook his head slightly and put away his bow as he walked to the scene.  He didn't like being called "master."  Of course, he also didn't like random killings either, and it was obvious he was not fond of the hooded man.  Still, the man who Alth guessed was some sort of knight had a point.  He tore off his left sleeve and proceeded to hopefully stabilize the man.

(click to show/hide)

As he worked, he spoke to those who were still around, which seemed to be the dwarf, the knight, the lady, and a guard.

"I apologize for lack of pleasantries, but Sir Knight is correct.  This man could have useful information.  Speaking of information, I'm going to search him

Search: 1d20+7=8