Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236774 times)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #540 on: April 25, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »
Exactly, LoL and DOTA2 can afford not being on console. They also can afford being free to play with microtransactions. All on account of their popularity.

I agree, Grand Strategy and Turn Based has seen a resurgence in the past few years. But in any case, they are two genres that, by and large, have never had a competitive scene as far as i know, or if they do, it's so small as to be of no importance. Because of that, balance is less important. If a game doesn't develop a competitive scene, you don't see nearly as much whining on forums/the internet, because most people simply won't play into the online aspect of the game.

Not an RTS, but, for instance, the new Doom. The online isn't NEARLY as good as what people hoped it would be. But, it still can stand on it's amazing campaign, and Snapmap bringing some fresh new content (although, Snapmap could've been so much better than it is. As it stands it has a lot of limitations).

Speaking of RTS's/GS/Turn Based...

Europa/Hearts of Iron/Crusader Kings don't have to worry TOO much about balance. Haven't seen or heard of a competitive scene, or even many people that do online at all. They still care to, because the Dev's are completely and utterly devoted to that game, i have literally never seen a company care so much about their game as these guys do. They strive for perfection. They still screw up though. BUT, it still doesn't have a competitive scene. It would be fine if they would stop buffing/nerfing stuff. It's nice that they do, though.

CIV and AOE II tackle balance differently from the others. Different civs have, mostly, access to the same units and tech. Their uniques and advantages are what differentiate them from other civs, and this is much easier to balance than, for instance, Starcraft's VASTLY different three factions.

AOE II does indeed have a competitive community, and i have seen some matches. It's interesting. They're a relatively small community, but the skill ceiling is very high. You get trounced if you don't have many years of online AOE experience. It's, in a way, similar to what Brood War has become over the years outside Korea.

And i don't have to mention SC2. It's pretty big, the biggest of them all. And brings in the most money.

Online is a pretty big deal these days... If a game doesn't have a strong online component, chances are, it won't sell very well.  Games based on very well-known franchises seem to be the exception, because they already have a big following. There are exceptions, from big-time AAA publishers that can woo the public with their shiny graphics or their new gimmick.

Successful new IP's, on all genres, are becoming few and far inbetween. Horizon Zero Dawn is the most memorable to come off of the top of my head, as well as Nioh - which still capitalized on being "Souls-like".

But on RTS... Man... I can't really recall the last successful new IP. I really can't.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 26, 2017, 02:29:25 AM »
Europa/Hearts of Iron/Crusader Kings don't have to worry TOO much about balance. Haven't seen or heard of a competitive scene, or even many people that do online at all.

Nobody does online or even multiplayer with those without setting up a group to play beforehand because when you might be playing a campaign for 10-15 hours
the last thing you want is to find out that that random guy who joined to play as the USA has no clue what he is doing 8 hours in.

Also because Paradox is not very good at covering holes in their code that allows for cheating in multiplayer.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 28, 2017, 04:01:20 AM »
So apparently piper knows how to swim thru air and won't tell me how she does it :shakefist

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 02, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
BotW Pack 1 DLC

Trial of the Sword (aka cave of trials)
Similar to Eventide you'll start out buck naked and need to complete 45 rooms for fighting. Your reward is the Master Sword will permanently remain in it's glowing state, or in other words it's damage is increased to 60. Since a glowing sword still losing durability at it's normal rate for striking non-tainted this shouldn't affect how long it actually lasts. But at least you'll use it for fighting instead of as filler so you're not wasting your good weapons.

Hero's Path Mode (aka now you can see what's a waste of time)
You can now display up to 200 hours of walking allowing you to see where you've going and where you haven't. I think Nintendo believes this to be useful rather than a point point presentation of how many areas are just not worth visiting more than once (or less).

Hard Mode (aka lazy design)
This tweaks a few things.
* Monsters gain regenerating health, *sigh*
* New aerial platforms for monsters/chests to spawn on, good thing they removed arrow farming right?
* More pallet swapping, instead of new monsters you're just getting a new color & an added decimal value to hp/dmg.

Travel Medallion (aka farore's wind)
A new key item allows you to mark any location in the world you're currently at and fast travel to it. Useful when you think about it, mark the floor next to your bed, or the top of the Coliseum or something.

More Armor (aka cosmetic redundancy)
* Majora's Mask (mm).
* Midna's Helmet (tp).
* Three piece Phantom Armor (ph).
* Three piece Tingle's Outfit (looks like ww).
We kind of need new armor properties in game more than we need lv4 armor spam kthx.

Korok Mask (aka we can insult out fanbase too)
Need help finding a literal piece of shit in the game? Now you can get a Korok Seed radar instead of loading a map up on your phone. I like how the patch is like please look for all 900 of these rather than changing the reward.

In other news new Amibo was confirmed last month or so with a release date of June 23. The release includes Majora's Mask Link, Twilight Princess Link, and Skyward Sword Link which will unlock their respective BotW costumes which are currently off limits unless you spend ten bucks on ebay. Expect immediate supply issues and price gauging as part of their release], so yeah ebay is looking pretty good.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:04:03 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 02, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »
He hit the nail on it's head too. Like why are you paying for palette swaps? *looks back at the development cost* Ooooooooh.

Yep, can't wait for the next Zelda game. Like Breath of the NES was pretty cool, but Nintendo doesn't like being out done.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #546 on: May 02, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »
I'll have to completely agree with you for once, that's just absolutely lazy design and an obvious cash grab. The most un-nintendo like thing Nintendo has ever done.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 02, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »
idk, Nintendo has always loved to release things in a way that forces you to constantly rebuy them.  :P

At least you're not playing BotW on a Wii U I suppose, as part of the expansion pass you get a Nintendo Switch t-shirt to run around in and it'll probably sit in your inventory for the rest of your life reminding you every single time you scroll through your items to change or eat or cook that you should buy a frigging Switch. Because that's exactly what they did, an in game commercial for another console.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #549 on: May 02, 2017, 07:05:47 PM »
Nintendo doesn't love rereleasing things when it isn't them.  Free fan games included.

I'll just point out that when you tried to download the "free" game it threw you a window asking for your money "donations". Before you got any chance to try it.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #550 on: May 02, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
idk, Nintendo has always loved to release things in a way that forces you to constantly rebuy them.  :P

At least you're not playing BotW on a Wii U I suppose, as part of the expansion pass you get a Nintendo Switch t-shirt to run around in and it'll probably sit in your inventory for the rest of your life reminding you every single time you scroll through your items to change or eat or cook that you should buy a frigging Switch. Because that's exactly what they did, an in game commercial for another console.

I was used to the Nintendo that released complete games. Ones i could buy and not rage at the fact that 70%+ of the game is behind Paywalls of differing kinds. No more, i guess. They're just like any other game company now. Sad.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 02, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
I'll just point out that when you tried to download the "free" game it threw you a window asking for your money "donations". Before you got any chance to try it.
Yeah, reddit is hanging him out to dry too. Blaming him for Nintendo removing it and borderline calling him stupid for not thinking it was going to happen. Which led to the next step after he announced he was going to continue with a different art set, it was all a publicity stunt. And I can see that. 1.3 has a lot of problems with it and you had to sit through a donation ad, the teaser videos use a never-will-be-released version that looks promising but what appears in video does not appear in the demo. And as expected no more updates, instead please support my next game!

Anyway, for as long as it lasts here is the 1.3 release. I haven't tested it but the link comes from Reddit user zeldafan127 and was posted here.

Speaking of fan games, does anyone have the latest/last version of the Metroid remake that was shut down last year?

I was used to the Nintendo that released complete games. Ones i could buy and not rage at the fact that 70%+ of the game is behind Paywalls of differing kinds. No more, i guess. They're just like any other game company now. Sad.
Fanbois are currently defending against Nintendo is EA comments while trying to convince you that BotW is a full game and the missing Zelda standards like a monster grinder and hard mode don't count on Reddit.

But for the record, I claimed BotW was an incomplete game long before people realized what they were missing as they read the DLC notes :p

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 02, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »
Fanbois are currently defending against Nintendo is EA comments while trying to convince you that BotW is a full game and the missing Zelda standards like a monster grinder and hard mode don't count on Reddit.
The N64 and game boy(color) Zeldas didn't have those either. They can hardly be called "standards".

I personally never started a Zelda game in hard mode neither did I do any of the monster grinder more than twice (and even then it was only because I found it and may as well give it a try or two since it's there), so they being behind paywalls doesn't bother me at all.

Well, lots of people were complaining that Nintendo should be more mainstream. How does it feel now? :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 02, 2017, 08:39:40 PM »
The N64 and game boy(color) Zeldas didn't have those either. They can hardly be called "standards".
I'm not sure what you're implying? OoT's Master Quest was provided for free if you picked up Wind Waker and Link's Awakening was actually the first game to feature a boss rush and even included a retake on LttP's Agahnim & Ganon fights. So yeah, they kind of did.

But stretching back twenty years ago to find a game that doesn't offer New Game+ (LoZ2 & both Oracles) or Master Quest (LoZ/OoT) really doesn't have a thing to do with the fact that for over fifteen years Nintendo has been providing Hero Mode and a grinder (LbW, SS, TP, WW) outside of their crappy touch screen navigation engine that failed (ST/PH). Hell Triforce Heroes, the "Four Sword" styled game, was expressly given it's harder Den of Trials & actually useful cosmetic gear for free is perfect demonstrating of how Nintendo was dedicated to ensuring people got what was expected even if the style didn't have it before. But BotW rolls around and it's paywalled DLC, of course people are going to complain. And I know you want to irrationally defend them, but your defense against not being bothered by it is pretty unZelda-fan like. Like saying you don't mind LbW didn't have horseriding because you never rode Epona anyway.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:53:16 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 03, 2017, 12:27:40 AM »
The Master Trials also adds something called Hero's Path Mode, which is a journal of sorts it sounds like that documents "every step players take," with progress marked in green on the map.

"The route taken will be tracked for the player's last 200 hours of play time, with an included slider to track footsteps on a timeline," Nintendo said. "This even works retroactively, so players that have already put many hours into the game will be able to see where they have traveled. This feature will help in identifying the locations they haven't visited in this vast world, and may help players find those Shrines they haven't encountered yet."
Hero's Path is an already tracked deal in game. The DLC is simply "unlocking" features you already have for your use. :(

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 03, 2017, 04:48:13 AM »
I'm not sure what you're implying? OoT's Master Quest was provided for free if you picked up Wind Waker and Link's Awakening was actually the first game to feature a boss rush and even included a retake on LttP's Agahnim & Ganon fights. So yeah, they kind of did.
Boss rush=/=Monster Grinder and Wind Waker was for Gamecube.

But BotW rolls around and it's paywalled DLC, of course people are going to complain. And I know you want to irrationally defend them, but your defense against not being bothered by it is pretty unZelda-fan like.
Again, people were screaming for Nintendo to go mainstream and "stop living in the past" and whatnot. So Nintendo took a look around and realized DLCs sell like hot cakes in PC and Sony/Microsoft's disguised PCs and thus simply went "Well, consumers clearly love to pay multiple times to get full access to their games, so let's give them what they want."

So be careful what you wish for.

But hey, you're the one babbling about the gamecube coming before the n64 and that re-fighting bosses one by one is totally the same as grinding hordes of enemies. :eh

EDIT: And meanwhile I felt like playing some SC II.

Blah blah another slow mandatory update.

Blah blah trying to get me to buy Legacy of the Void because Blizzard decided to separate their game in three full price titles besides the DLCs.

Blah blah since game updated thinks I'm a newbie and tries to auto-shove the tutorial down my throat again.

Blah blah quit the tutorial and get connections problems and try to play offline..

Then the game says that to play offline I need to... Connect online. A strange game indeed.

So considering how low the bar is being set by the other companies, Nintendo is still pretty awesome with not forcing me to be online to play their latest Zelda and remembering I'm not a newbie whenever it updates neither dividing the game in three full-price pieces before throwing the DLCs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:07:19 AM by oslecamo »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 03, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
But hey, you're the one babbling about the gamecube coming before the n64 and that re-fighting bosses one by one is totally the same as grinding hordes of enemies. :eh
Dafuq? I assuming you mean OoT's Master quest was a Gamecube release with your point it is came late rehashed to mean something really stupid. My point was OoT didn't have a common staple of the series, so Nintendo provided it for free and even underlined it and threw that word around a few times and you either still missed the point (congrats you're illiterate) or deliberately ignoring it (thus proving irrational fanboi). Given that you flip to a generic comment, "oh you wished for Nintendo to update!" to try and push things further. I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

I wished for Nintendo to stop with the dumb motion control gimmicks and to stop forcing 3rd party developers to incorporate their retarded controls. And I did get my wish, BotW's motion crap is limited to a few shrines rather than a fundamental game play mechanic, and I like that I got my wish. It's great. So if you feel like you can win by getting me to say something positive, you can have that.

On SCII, I burrowed the game for a month and won exclusively by ringing just about every single opponent out on the story path.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 03, 2017, 02:59:51 PM »
On SCII, I burrowed the game for a month and won exclusively by ringing just about every single opponent out on the story path.

Starcraft 2, not Soul Calibur 2.  You guys already seem to be having totally different conversations, I figure I should point that out before you guys start talking past each other yet again.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #558 on: May 03, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »
I regret the decision of buying SC2 at launch in 2010. Paid waaay too much for what it was at the time, and the game is now completely different. The SC2 2017 Battle Chest is at a pretty good price right now and i felt tempted to buy it, tbh. For the past two weeks i've been enjoying casts from this years tournaments and been itching to get back into it. I was solidly into Diamond and progressing nicely when i stopped playing in 2011 and i feel like i could get into step if got back into it, but also feel for my social & financial life if i would get roped into an e-sport again. SC2 is one hell of a drug.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 03, 2017, 05:20:02 PM »
Starcraft 2, not Soul Calibur 2.  You guys already seem to be having totally different conversations, I figure I should point that out before you guys start talking past each other yet again.
Ahh, we were on Zelda & Gamecube and guess who makes an appearance in that game.

I feel like playing LA again too. It's such a great game. LoZ/LoZ2 were standard Nintendo-hard, lots of enemies with poor control. LttP was the revamp to the series that many people take for granted. It focused less on quantity of combat, such as Master Quest of LoZ giving you room after room after room of enemies to clear, and gave us the puzzle style of play. It is the foundation of the Zelda iconic of a boss weakness to the new item obtained but also of map traversing items should serve a purpose in combat too. LA was a refinement of LttP and was expanded on to create the Oracles while LttP would serve as copypasta for LbW. OoT may have the public eye as #1, but it got there after LttP/LA defined the franchise's concepts beyond the top down view exploration LoZ introduced.