Author Topic: Fundaments of a Fantasy Duel System!  (Read 2436 times)

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
Fundaments of a Fantasy Duel System!
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
This seems like a good place to put this.
I am designing a system that will allow for climatic battles, both on a personal level (thus the temporary name: Fantasy Duel System(FDS)) and against huge monsters.

I know that that is a tall order, but I think it can be accomplished.
In addition, I am shooting for mechanics somewhere between GURPS and D&D 3.5, point-based and level-based, but not level-limited.

I need help in analyzing the effectiveness of what I have created thus far. Any critique is helpful!
By the way, this is a really long post. Sorry about that.

Explanation
(click to show/hide)

Table of Contents:
Character creation
-Basics
-Spheres of Skills
-Specialization
Stamina
-Basics
-Uses and Expenditure
Exertion Points
-Use
-Exertion Dice

Character Creation
Basics
(click to show/hide)
Skill Spheres
(click to show/hide)
Specialization
(click to show/hide)

Stamina
(click to show/hide)
Concept Basics:
(click to show/hide)
Use and Expenditure:
(click to show/hide)

Exertion Points
(click to show/hide)
Use:
(click to show/hide)

So what do you think? These three mechanics are the most basic parts of my game. I really want feedback on character creation and exertion points and exertion ratings. These are the most controversial parts in my eyes.

Ideas?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:50:36 PM by SneeR »
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.

Offline DrHorrible

• Merciless idiot.
    • View Profile
Re: Fundements of a Fantasy Duel System!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
Okay, it's a long post, it's not my first language and here it's 1 A.M., so bear with me.  :P

I never played GURPS nor I know how the system works, so there's that.

That said, character creation and exertion points seem pretty straight-forward (even though I had to read exertion and use a couple of times before I got 'em), the only thing that to me seems a bit too hard and mechanical is the stamina system.

I like the fact that you want to take in account that aspect of a player, but it seems a little overcomplicated to me.

Maybe you could have stamina as one of the ability ratings (in Constitution's place, basically) and... I don't know, subtract a point from that rating every 2-3 fatiguing turns. Then, once your fatigue points add up to half your Con score you're fatigued and once they are equal to it you're exhausted.

To me it would be easier to grasp I guess.

In all, looks like it could be very balanced.
Believe.

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
Re: Fundements of a Fantasy Duel System!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »
Oh, now I feel bad. You didn't have to read it at 1 A.M.! Sleep, man! No one deserves to be subjected to my :blah blathering at such an unholy hour!

Your idea for stamina is pretty good, and is essentiually how it works. However, the success of the Duel System is based on using the right tactics at the right time, and not overexerting hourself.

Thanks for reading, DrHorrible!
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.