Author Topic: Hag, Annis  (Read 9223 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Hag, Annis
« on: November 25, 2011, 12:40:23 AM »
Annis Hag

HD:d8
Level   Bab   Fort   Ref   Will   Feature

1   + 1   + 2   + 0   + 2   Hag Body, Power in Decay, Fake Face +1 Con
2   + 2   + 3   + 0   + 3   Rend, Hag Hide, +1 Str
3   + 3   + 3   + 1   + 3   Improved Grab, Evilness, +1 Con
4   + 4   + 4   + 1   + 4   Rake, Sudden Fog, +1 Str
5   + 5   + 4   + 1   + 4   Black Heart, Murder Claws, +1 Con
6   + 6   + 5   + 2   + 5   Growth, Twist Infant, Final Curse, +1 Str

Skills:6+int per level, class skills are Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move silently, Sense Motive and Spot.

Proficiencies: The Annis Hag is proficient with her own natural weapons only.

Features:
Annis Body:  The Annis Hag loses all other racial bonuses and gains monstrous humanoid traits.  She's a medium sized monstrous humanoid with base land speed of 30', darkvision 60', two claw attacks dealing 1d4+Str each and a natural armor bonus equal to her Constitution modifier.

Ability Score Increases:  The Annis Hag gets +1 Str with every even numbered level in the class (2nd, 4th and 6th) and +1 Con with every odd numbered level in the class (1st, 3rd and 5th), for a total of +3 Str and +3 Con at sixth level.

Power in Decay:  The first level Annis Hag appears little different than an healthy young woman. However, her true nature will soon asserts itself.  The Hag grows old unnaturally fast from here on, and even faster by performing evil and immoral acts.  At the end of a day that the hag committed an evil act (like murder of an innocent, spreading lies about good people), she adds 1d6 months to her current age.  A day spent killing for the sake of killing advances her age by 1d4 months, while intentionally killing only evil creatures would only advance her age by 1d3-1 months.  The DM can and should adjudicate how evil certain other actions are and how they contribute to the Hag's swift aging.

The hag takes no penalties to her physical statistics for aging, instead actually gaining +1 Strength, Dexterity and Constitution with each increase in age category, to a maximum of +1 per  Annis Hag level.  She ages as a human for the purpose of age categories, starting at adulthood (15+1d4 years old) and aging up past venerable age, but she will never die of old age (although she can always get uglier).

Fake Face:  At first level, the Hag may cast disguise self 2/day for every HD she has.

Rend: At second level, an Annis Hag that strikes a foe with both claws may tear at the opponent, automatically delivering 1d8+1,5 Str mod damage.

Hag Hide:  at second level the Annis Hag gains DR/Bludgeoning equal to half her HD and SR equal to 11+HD. She may drop or raise this SR at any time as a free action, even if it isn't her turn.

Improved Grab:  At third level, the Hag gains the Improved Grab ability, allowing her to automatically initiate a grapple as a free action on a foe of her size  or smaller that she has struck with a claw attack.

At 8 HD this ability ignores freedom of movement effects.

Evilness:  At third level, the Hag gains a bonus on Intimidate checks equal to her HD, and any damage she deals with her natural attacks, including Rend damage, can only be cured by combining an healing effect with either being in the area of an Hallowed spell or with a successful Heal check with DC 10+1/2 HD+Str mod.

Rake:  At fourth level, the Hag can rake her victims when she successfully grapples them, delivering 1d4+Str damage with each of her claws at no penalty. Rake cannot trigger rend.

Sudden Fog:  At fourth level, the Hag can summon forth clouds a swift action to cover her hideous acts, as per the Fog Cloud spell, once a day for every HD she has.

Black Heart: At fifth level, the Hag's hideous claws tear right trough an opponent's blessings. Whenever it hits an opponent with a claw attack, that opponent automatically loses one of its temporary spells or supernatural effects benefiting him, chosen at random. If it has no temporary magical effects left on him, then the Hag disables one of it's magic items granting a permanent effect, or Supernatural permanent effect such as a paladin's Divine Grace, for 10 rounds, again chosen at random. Alternately (or if the enemy has no such bonuses to remove), the Hag may elect to deal 1d4 damage to the opponent's armor class.  Natural armor heals as ability damage, while physical armor must be repaired or replaced to remove the penalty.  Magic armor is allowed a Reflex Save with DC 10+1/2HD+Str modifier to negate this damage.

At 10HD and every 5HD thereafter, the Hag removes one additional effect and/or causes an added 1d4 damage to the opponent's armor class.

Murder claws:  At fifth level, the Hag's claws now bypass DR and can harm incorporeal creatures, and gain an enchantment to attack and damage rolls equal to 1/4 her HD.

Growth:  At sixth level, the Hag grows to large size.

Faster:  At sixth level, the Hag's base speed increases by 5 feet for every 3 HD she has.

Twist Infant:  At sixth level, the Hag kidnaps an humanoid child of a civilized race.  Its a commoner with a number of levels equal to the Annis Hag-2.  Unlike a normal cohort, the Hag's Infant isn't really willing to be nice and will try to run away and/or fight the Annis Hag by any means possible, probably demanding constant surveillance from the Annis Hag to be kept in check.

For each day passed with the Annis Hag, the Infant is corrupted and fouled, having a commoner level replaced with a level in the Ogre (or any other Giant of the Annis Hag's choice) class (if male) or the Annis Hag class (if female). The child (aka DM) chooses what feats and specific class choices it makes, although the Annis Hag spending time "taking care" of the Infant may allow her to direct him/her towards specific choices. When all commoner levels are lost, the Infant is now a twisted creature of evil that fanatically follows and serves the Annis Hag to the best of it's ability.

The Annis Hag can only have one such servant at a time. Should it die, the Annis Hag can get a new Infant by spending 24 hours in any populated area, and start everything again.

Final Curse:  At sixth level, the Hag may use Bestow Curse as a SLA once per day, save DC 10+1/2HD+Str mod. If she's been reduced to less than half full hit points, or would be rendered unable to act by any effect, she may use this ability as an immediate action on the opponent that dropped her below half life/rendered unable to act, even if not in melee  and the save DC increases to 10+HD+Str mod.

At 9 HD, when the Hag curses someone, the curse extends to all family members and loved ones of the target, regardless of distance (each one still gets a saving throw tough). This curse cannot be removed without slaying both the Hag and her Infant.

At 12HD, if an opponent saves against the Hag's curse, she may force the opponent to re-roll the save by telling a dirty fact about its past as a free action. The Annis Hag must have acquired said dirty fact trough normal means.

(click to show/hide)

Comments
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 04:57:16 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
Re: Hag, Annis
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:09 AM »
(click to show/hide)

No limit? I can have hundreds of Twisted Infants?  :eh
Now I've lost it, I know I can kill. The truth exists beyond the Gate!

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:41:54 AM »
That's a very interesting thing then, if so...

Like, what if the Hag started up her own civilization of kidnapped children?
Some sort of Hag Queen schtick. Heh. Weird.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »
Why does spending a day killing for the sake of killing age you less than just committing an evil act?

I'd personally base it off gaining Corruption (FC2), except that you only age based off the most evil act you did. In other words, casting an evil spell and betraying a friend for material gain on the same day would only age you by 2 months.

To bring back randomness, you could also base it off the rules for variable modifiers from Unearthed Arcana. So murdering someone for funsies would age you 2d6 months, while murdering someone for other reasons would age you 1d10 months instead.

Of course, you don't have to do it that way, but something with more examples would be nice. (I really like the idea behind it, though.)

Also, it might make sense to specify that your Twisted Infant's alignment changes; as it is, I can play a NG Annis Hag (which would be pretty fun to RP, actually; she's aware of her hag heritage, and keeps herself to high standards... because any time she fails them, she can see them in the mirror) who snatches a child from a cruel orphanage (run by EVUL KLERIKS!) and raises them as a Twisted Infant who is all sweetness and light.

I'm not sure if that's intentional.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:51 PM »
From the way it's worded I think you get to kidnap only one child (at least for the sake of this class feature). The class feature only refers to a single child, which can be replaced if it dies. Basiclly a alternate Cohort kind of deal.

Will's kingdom in Rage was supposed to be ruled by a Hag Queen or something.
Then he went off and started sacrificing Lizardfolks to Demons =P
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:39:57 AM »
From the way it's worded I think you get to kidnap only one child (at least for the sake of this class feature). The class feature only refers to a single child, which can be replaced if it dies. Basiclly a alternate Cohort kind of deal.

Gosh, the Queen needs to be this and start a revolution with the corrupted children of all the lizards he sacrificed  :D

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:54:27 AM »

Gosh, the Queen needs to be this and start a revolution with the corrupted children of all the lizards he sacrificed  :D

I mean Tibur might take the side of the Hag Queen, wills character is dangerous.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »
(click to show/hide)

No limit? I can have hundreds of Twisted Infants?  :eh

I believed it was implicit in the wording, since you can only get a new twisted infant after the previous one dies. Clarified.

Why does spending a day killing for the sake of killing age you less than just committing an evil act?
Because sport hunters and bersek adventurers aren't necessarily considered evil by many people.

I'd personally base it off gaining Corruption (FC2), except that you only age based off the most evil act you did. In other words, casting an evil spell and betraying a friend for material gain on the same day would only age you by 2 months.

To bring back randomness, you could also base it off the rules for variable modifiers from Unearthed Arcana. So murdering someone for funsies would age you 2d6 months, while murdering someone for other reasons would age you 1d10 months instead.

Of course, you don't have to do it that way, but something with more examples would be nice. (I really like the idea behind it, though.)
Meh, too much trouble for too little gain. It's already assumed the Annis Hag will do everything in her power to speed up her own corruption, that's why the bonus are capped.

Also, it might make sense to specify that your Twisted Infant's alignment changes; as it is, I can play a NG Annis Hag (which would be pretty fun to RP, actually; she's aware of her hag heritage, and keeps herself to high standards... because any time she fails them, she can see them in the mirror) who snatches a child from a cruel orphanage (run by EVUL KLERIKS!) and raises them as a Twisted Infant who is all sweetness and light.

I'm not sure if that's intentional.
I don't see how that could happen, since the current text the Twisted Infant ends up evil regardless of how they started.

Also added a couple new feats based on the discussion above.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »
The wording says that they become twisted creatures of evil... but they never actually change their alignment to Evil.

For comparison, that Succubus Paladin that WotC had in an adventure a while back would still be a 'twisted creature of evil', despite the fact that she's Lawful Good.

Also, "killing for the sake of killing" doesn't cover sport hunters and adventurers; it covers serial killers who kill people because killing is fun. Sport hunters do it to get acclaim and adventurers do it to get loot.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."