Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Hi
« on: January 21, 2022, 07:47:05 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been struggling for a long time. With mental health, with financial health, all that. Made promises to look up what is up here and all that. I've mostly failed at the latest one, that's my bad.

But hence, a new introduction thread. I'll try again. To all the all friends, hello. To all the new friends, nice to meet you.

Stay safe,
Tshern
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:05:29 PM »
Welcome back.

So, Jagged Alliance 2. The insanely gear-headed but fun 1.13 fan mod, the plain old vanilla game or the Stracciatella mod inbetween?

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 09:25:28 PM »
Welcome back.

So, Jagged Alliance 2. The insanely gear-headed but fun 1.13 fan mod, the plain old vanilla game or the Stracciatella mod inbetween?
There's been mods? Are they any good? I played Wildfire or something back in the day, but it just basically "raised the numbers" and abused higher ground. Wasn't fun. The vanilla has been enough for me. EZ PZ, you get Shadow and Vicki from the start and stealth to the end!

Edit: And thank you. Hope all is well.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 09:43:25 PM »
1.13 is a complete game changer that came about after Sir-Tech went bankrupt and released the JA2 source code to the general public. Everything that could has been externalized into XML files, allowing you to read, modify, remove and add content from weapon stats over shop inventories down to enemy and militia equipment if you feel so inclined.
It also fixes some features that were never properly implemented (like flame throwers or suppressive fire).
It also introduces features that range from autistic (some 20 different variants of the AK-47) over micromanaging (barrel heat for prolonged automatic fire) and busywork (food, hunger and thirst management) down to outright silly (Romero zombies). These can all be altered or outright turned off, but it requires some fiddling, reading and trying out to tune the game settings to your liking.

Most current download is always available here: http://thepit.ja-galaxy-forum.com/index.php?t=msg&th=24648&start=0&
The Bear's Pit forum is the central hub for JA2 modders, and also comes with a Discord if you prefer quick answers to quick questions.

Stracciatella is a 1.13 fork that tries to keep the improvements, but without the overwhelming complexity and with a gameplay closer to the vanilla game. Downside is that you also get much less gears and knobs to customize the game to your liking.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 09:49:03 PM »
I'm glad you're still alive!

If you use Discord, that's the place most action has moved to.  Some of the old regulars have popped up there after long disappearances so you'd have some company (along with all of us that never left but you wouldn't know which is which so I won't name drop).

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 01:44:48 PM »
 :cool
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 08:52:09 AM »
Welcome back Tshern!

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 11:41:53 AM »

If you use Discord, that's the place most action has moved to.  Some of the old regulars have popped up there after long disappearances so you'd have some company (along with all of us that never left but you wouldn't know which is which so I won't name drop).
Is there a channel for like the people around here? Would be awesome to have a look, as bad a Discord user as I am.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 11:42:27 AM »
Welcome back Tshern!
Thanks. Been checking the place out times, but it's always something! You alright?
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 11:43:56 AM »
1.13 is a complete game changer that came about after Sir-Tech went bankrupt and released the JA2 source code to the general public. Everything that could has been externalized into XML files, allowing you to read, modify, remove and add content from weapon stats over shop inventories down to enemy and militia equipment if you feel so inclined.
It also fixes some features that were never properly implemented (like flame throwers or suppressive fire).
It also introduces features that range from autistic (some 20 different variants of the AK-47) over micromanaging (barrel heat for prolonged automatic fire) and busywork (food, hunger and thirst management) down to outright silly (Romero zombies). These can all be altered or outright turned off, but it requires some fiddling, reading and trying out to tune the game settings to your liking.

Most current download is always available here: http://thepit.ja-galaxy-forum.com/index.php?t=msg&th=24648&start=0&
The Bear's Pit forum is the central hub for JA2 modders, and also comes with a Discord if you prefer quick answers to quick questions.

Stracciatella is a 1.13 fork that tries to keep the improvements, but without the overwhelming complexity and with a gameplay closer to the vanilla game. Downside is that you also get much less gears and knobs to customize the game to your liking.
Iiiiinteresting. Currently in the middle of Kingmaker (well, the end, I guess), but I book marked this. Let's see if I can still try my luck with JA2. The extra micro sounds like it could not be for me, but you never know till you try that too!
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »

Is there a channel for like the people around here? Would be awesome to have a look, as bad a Discord user as I am.

Yep!  Go to the home page of our forum and it's up there at the top as a news item.  Don't worry, we've got a lot of names in the discord server that I recognize but never say anything so you wouldn't be alone if you just lurk.