Author Topic: An Offer: Custom Base Classes  (Read 24642 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: An Offer: Custom Base Classes
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
Not a bad combination, with both using WIS, though.

You know, I'd forgotten that - I actually thought the CA Ninja used Cha, and since I just copypastaed the abilities, I never even looked at them. So the class doesn't have too much MAD, especially if it focuses on being a Dex/Wis combatant. Would probably make for a fairly useful King of Smack type class, since it can do hit and run quite well.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 06:48:02 PM »
Probably not quite what you were looking for, but I did actually build a class that can focus on Arcane, Divine, Martial, or Skill - the Historian. It's a monstrously complex thing, though, so be warned.

Interesting.

Yeah, not really what I'm looking for, what with the spell point system and other oddities, but interesting.

Thanks!

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
Probably not quite what you were looking for, but I did actually build a class that can focus on Arcane, Divine, Martial, or Skill - the Historian. It's a monstrously complex thing, though, so be warned.

Interesting.

Yeah, not really what I'm looking for, what with the spell point system and other oddities, but interesting.

Thanks!

Since I figured it might not be, here's a Chameleon stretched out over 20 levels. It more or less just uses the existing class abilities, although I boosted Combat, Stealth, and Wild focus. I also tossed in a few feats, since they were obvious. There's abilities that could be written that take advantage of switching between focuses and so on (Numinous and some others of my classes have similar), but I didn't write them in.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:13:49 AM by Stratovarius »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
Ninja/Psywarrior (the CA one which had ki stuff, I think)?

Just fixed a minor error I had in the class (too much copy/pasta). It now has the PsyWar Power Known progression instead of the Wilder one.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
Incarnate/Artificer crossbreed. Abilities to pay attention to are Item Bind and Soulforge (they're the new ones for this class).

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 08:06:56 PM »
Quote from: spikeof2010;19829196
Rogue/Paladin. More on the sense of Vengeance.

Honestly, I don't think it's my best work, but UGH Paladins and Rogues are front-loaded.

Skullclan Hunter, Pelor's Shadowguard, Heirophant, and a few others gave nobly to create this.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2015, 04:58:28 PM »
Quote from: Xaotiq1
I'd like to see a "gish in a can" Truenamer. Have is blended with, say, the Soulknife. Words as weapons and all that.

These classes are so damn crappy that I had to invent about 10 abilities, throw out the Laws of Stupidity, and move all the existing abilities way further forward in the chassis. So it's probably Tier 4.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »
Quote from: spikeof2010
Bard/Crusader. Beat the war drum harder.

Warleader - Crusader/Bard combination, along with some donations from Warleader, War Chanter, and Warrior Skald. Please note that although ability names are the same, there have been some changes.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2015, 09:58:28 AM »
Quote from: jqavins
Forrest Mage:
A sorcerer/druid/ranger blend. A spontaneous caster with a spell list that is half druid and half sor/wiz. Combat like a druid. Class abilities blending druid and ranger. A magical hunter and protector of the wild.

Thicketmage - It's a mixture of Druid, Ranger, Spirit Shaman, and Sorcerer. Should slot in around Tier 2 like the sorcerer before it.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:52:56 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline CattyNebulart

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 01:28:48 AM »
Celebrant of Sharess + monk, cat based half caster with mobility and melee, sprinkled with some tome of battle goodies. A ranger type basicly just more at home as a pampered kitty enjoying the celebration rather than in the wilderness. ;) Though the kitty has claws obviously.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 01:32:49 AM »
Hey Catty, I haven't seen you in forever.  How have you been?

Offline CattyNebulart

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »

Way way way too busy, if I get my new house I should have time again to do things other than work, travel and sleep... like you know time for eating.  :( At least my new job is fun and interesting.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »

Way way way too busy, if I get my new house I should have time again to do things other than work, travel and sleep... like you know time for eating.  :( At least my new job is fun and interesting.

Eating is very important.  You should get on that!

Glad to hear you're doing well, it's nice when people come back after disappearing for a long time.   :)

Offline CattyNebulart

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: An Offer: Custom SRD Base Classes
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2015, 10:11:53 PM »
Mind Warden review;

Since I asked for a class it seems fair to review some of the existing ones, and the one that looks most interesting to me is the mindwarden.

First the fluff and into a bit missing with some obvious placeholders and akward phrasing, but meh, more interested in mechanics anyway.

Multiple Throw (Ex): Yeah don;t put this at level 17, put it at level 2 when you gain the ability to throw it in the first place.

Mind Blade (Su): Mostly a copy form the soulknife with many of the same problems. You might want to steal a a bit from initiators here and make non-psiblade levels count for half for the purposes of enhancement bonuses. You might also want to be a little more generous with the bonuses than standard soulknife, I'd shift them all forward 2 levels. A bit strong early game but roughly balanced mid and high levels.

Spells Given the otherwise psychic flavour this feels a bit odd. I'd either swap them for psywar powers or reflavor the mindblade to an arcane blade or something.

At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, the bonuses against hsi chosen favored enemy increases by 2.: typos. Also a bit weirdly worded but unlike the ranger this class gets only one favoured enemy? Either way you might want to reword a bit for clarity.

Overall the class is a bit uneven with some levels giving lots of stuff (hello level 6) and some giving very little, (everythign after 13). It could use some extra high level abilities and a nice capstone. Also for weapon enhancements you might want to look through the MIC for some more enhancements to allow, though really Bane is by far the best.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2015, 03:56:43 AM »
At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, the bonuses against hsi chosen favored enemy increases by 2.: typos. Also a bit weirdly worded but unlike the ranger this class gets only one favoured enemy? Either way you might want to reword a bit for clarity.
(Favored is spelled correctly, at least for Americans, which Wizards of the Coast / D&D is originally from)[/nitpick]

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2015, 07:08:13 AM »
Mind Warden review

I think you've missed what these classes are a little bit - they are, quite literally, two or more base classes merged together (usually with a little bit extra) in order to meet what the requestor wanted. In this case, it's a Soul Knife with Ranger skills, spellcasting, fast movement, favored enemy and combat styles glued on top. I don't adjust the flavour because I assume the player has something in mind already, and will use it regardless of how I change things.

It being two base classes merged is why Multiple Throw, Mindblade, Spells, etc. look like they've been copied exactly from the original material - they have been. As to favored enemy, Gazz is right - D&D uses American spellings. And yes, the Mind Warden only gets one favored enemy, and with good reason. It's right there in the first line of the ability.

Also, a cat-girl? Really? :P

Offline CattyNebulart

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »

Of course  :P

I think you've missed what these classes are a little bit - they are, quite literally, two or more base classes merged together (usually with a little bit extra) in order to meet what the requestor wanted. In this case, it's a Soul Knife with Ranger skills, spellcasting, fast movement, favored enemy and combat styles glued on top. I don't adjust the flavour because I assume the player has something in mind already, and will use it regardless of how I change things.

Well yes, but there are some little tweaks that could be done to make it a bit more balanced or remove rampant stupidity (like American spelling, damn colonials  :P). Like levels 5 and 6 are loaded with goodies while 4 and 7 are relatively spare, you might consider redistributing a bit when gluing, also the otherwise verbatim copy threw me on Favoured Enemy, because that one is not a verbatim copy.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »

Of course  :P

Congratulations, you have picked my absolute least favourite combination of ideas. Most of the time I would rather set a monk OR a cat girl on fire, and then nuke it just to be sure. Together... shudder. :shakefist

Well yes, but there are some little tweaks that could be done to make it a bit more balanced or remove rampant stupidity (like American spelling, damn colonials  :P). Like levels 5 and 6 are loaded with goodies while 4 and 7 are relatively spare, you might consider redistributing a bit when gluing, also the otherwise verbatim copy threw me on Favoured Enemy, because that one is not a verbatim copy.

Neither is Mind Blade, actually - it's got composite longbows tucked away in there. It's why the enhancement list isn't standard either. I think Mind Warden might be the class with the most changed abilities with the same name. And I thought about moving things around, but with a Soul Knife that's always a pain with all of their abilities, so laziness won out and I didn't bother.

And I'm rather amused you're calling me a colonial - 100% English here. I just follow the conventions of WotC - especially when using copypasta from their material. When I'm writing my own content, like my novels, the language accords to the Queen.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »
Quote from: Mousedigits
Hmm, how about a Duskblade/Paladin Combo, who focuses on being a perfect mixture of Martial Prowess, Arcane Knowledge, and Divine Devotion. One thing that I do not want is LG alignment only, but possibly Good only or must match god's alignment.

Occult Blade - basically a Duskblade on a hell of a lot of crack, with a little Pally thrown in for good measure.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »
Quote from: ImperatorV
So, it's not perfectly in line with what you are asking for in this thread, but I noticed in the list of previous classes the Candle Caster class, which stretched a PrC into a base class - is it possible you could do the same with the Beast Heart Adept PrC? Possibly with a refluffed version of the Archivist's Dark Knowledge ability to fill in the levels?

Beast Heart Adept base class, along with a few new custom abilities to fill in the later levels. And with Monstrous Wild Shape, obviously grabbed and rebuilt from the Druid.

(click to show/hide)