Author Topic: [3.5] Swordsage feat chains  (Read 6807 times)

Offline phroggelator

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
[3.5] Swordsage feat chains
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
I am attempting to build a Swordsage character for our new campaign. My problem is that I cant seem to find a decent feat chain to carry me to high levels. None of the Swordsage/TOB build guides I have found really elaborate on this or it's under the heading of "coming soon" which of course by now means never.

So my issue is this. I dont want a TWF Swordsage - I did the TWF thing with a Warblade previously and while he was death-on-a-stick in combat I want something different this time. I was going to try a THF style this time, but while a few of the early feats are nice they aren't really aimed at THF combatants (Shadowblade I'm looking at you).

At the moment the character is looking a little like this:

Str: 12
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int: 15
Wis: 17
Cha: 12

I am not  opposed to swapping Str and Int if required. The only feat I'm really locked into is:

Adaptive Style

with the following seeming fairly likely:

Darkstalker (I suspect it will be useful in this campaign, though the GM is being tight-lipped)

If I am locked into 1-h and light weapons then we can add Weapon finesse and probably Shadowblade.

The thing is that I would really prefer to use a 2-handed or Bastard sword, but the feat chain that lets me add Dex to att/dmg for one of them seems long for the benefits (Wpn Finesse, Wpn Focus, Graceful Edge). I'm wondering if there is a better feat chain to be had for this.

I expect to be focusing on Diamond Mind, Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand with a smattering of Stone Dragon, Desert Wind and Setting Sun

Thoughts, questions?

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Swordsage feat chains
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »
With those stats and a presumption of Wis+Dex focus for future stats, I think you might prefer a spiked chain.

It's a two-handed weapon (for Power Attack, if you put one more point in Str), it's Finesseable, and it's a Shadow Hand weapon so it's good with Shadow Blade.

You don't need TWF go be a good Swordsage. You can get 2 attacks per round with Flashing Sun (Desert Wind 2) starting at level 3 -- same attack penalty as TWF but full 2-handed damage, but only once per refresh.

I'd suggest getting more level 1 feats. Be a Human, take Flaws, be a Halfling of the Hair Feat tribe -- heck, bribe your DM with a pizza and a nice whiskey.

Feats You Want (which you can get at level 1 with 2 Flaws):
- Adaptive Style
- Shadow Blade
- Darkstalker

... then at level 3 take Weapon finesse, then take Exotic Weapon (Spiked Chain) at level 6.

If you can't use Flaws, then be a Human and delay Shadow Blade:

L1: Adaptive Style, Darkstalker
L3: Weapon Finesse
L6: Spiked Chain

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 12:38:28 AM »
I will second the Spiked Chain idea.  Skip it for now, since you can't get the proficiency with it, but that should be your goal.  Greatsword or bastard sword are fine to use until you can afford the feat on proficiency, or take a Fighter dip to pick it up at level 2.  Swordsage-Fighter-Fighter as your first three levels will let you pick up Weapon Finesse and Exotic Weapon Proficiency rapidly and only delay 2nd level maneuvers by 1 level (getting them at 4 instead of 3).

Now, as far as feats to go toward for the future?  Barring everything else, Extra Readied Maneuver is always a fair choice.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:40:26 AM by snakeman830 »
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:39 AM »
Thirding the spiked chain suggestion.  It's the most direct way to do a decent Dex-based 2-handed swordsage.  If dipping into fighter there's a nice ACF in Drow of the Underdark (see page 58), but it'll be up to your DM on whether to allow it since it's arguable that the ACF was meant specifically for Drow.  The ACF is gain +2 initiative and Dex to damage against flat-footed enemies, lose heavy armor and tower shield proficiency.  Quite a good trade.

Note that if you're going Diamond Mind then the level 1 maneuver Sapphire Nightmare Blade will make them flat-footed against the attack if you succeed on the Concentration check against their AC.  Easy way to get a bit more damage since skill checks tend to be much easier to scale than AC.

The 6th level Shadow Hand maneuver Ghost Blade does this without needing the skill check but doesn't have the 1d6 added damage.  Which means it really should just be a 1st or 2nd level maneuver.