Author Topic: [3.5]The Other Half campaign replacement recruitment  (Read 76087 times)

Offline Dapperatchik

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5]The Other Half campaign replacement recruitment
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »
Hope I haven't missed the boat on this one! Had a quick look through the IC thread and this campaign seems pretty awesome.

I'm just gonna throw out a ton of homebrew requests and see what sticks. What's the deadline for sheet submissions?

Titanic Creature - I've always wanted to try this out.

Hagunemnon - do you feel this would be appropriate to the campaign?

Monster of Legend.

Samildanach: Flexible, only as powerful as you want it to be, and it can fill whatever role is needed without stepping on anyone's toes. Related: do you have a preferred Truenamer fix?

Corpse: The fluff fits really nicely with the 'world turned upside down' theme. Thinking about taking the Blood and Psionic sources, maybe.

Astral Construct.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:43:16 PM by Dapperatchik »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »
{stuff}
All of your links are broken because you have an extra http://" in there, as well as the quotes at the end. So the first one looks like this:

[url=http://"http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9445.0"]Titanic Creature[/url]

but it should look like this:

[url=http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9445.0]Titanic Creature[/url]

I'm just gonna throw out a ton of homebrew requests and see what sticks. What's the deadline for sheet submissions?

Titanic Creature - I've always wanted to try this out.

Hagunemnon - do you feel this would be appropriate to the campaign?

Monster of Legend.

Samildanach: Flexible, only as powerful as you want it to be, and it can fill whatever role is needed without stepping on anyone's toes. Related: do you have a preferred Truenamer fix?

Corpse: The fluff fits really nicely with the 'world turned upside down' theme. Thinking about taking the Blood and Psionic sources, maybe.

Astral Construct.

I can't speak to #4-6, but #1-3 are all part of Osle's project, and are thus already approved.

Offline Dapperatchik

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2013, 07:47:26 PM »
All of your links are broken because you have an extra http://" in there, as well as the quotes at the end.

Thanks for the catch - silly mistake, fixed now.

I can't speak to #4-6, but #1-3 are all part of Osle's project, and are thus already approved.

Oh, is all of your homebrew preapproved, Oslecamo? Missed that - just wanted to make sure.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
What are your thoughts on alternative class feature chaining? Specifically Druidic avenger to get rage and fast movement as barbarian-> whirling frenzy + pounce. I basically trade my animal companion and spontaneous SNA for pounce and whirling frenzy.

Edit: Here is a basic build I've whipped up. Looking for Oslecamo's approval and for Fireinthesky to look it over for build compatability with his character.

(click to show/hide)

I'll edit in common spells and tactics soon as I get them together.

Here's a proposed list of spells for general preparation:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:48:59 AM by geniussavant »
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
What kind of quest would I need to undertake for wildshape familiarity with legendary ape from mm2?

Fastest for that would be  day-long expedition trough Arborea, with an high chance you'll end up facing quite a bit of extremely dangerous local wildlife.

Osc; do Mind Flayers get more tentacles from Multi-Headed, because the tentacles come from their face...
No. I purposedly left tentacles out of multi-headed precisely to stop it from multiplying mind flayer tentacles. Altough I guess I could go with one extra tentacle per head, but no more than that.

Hope I haven't missed the boat on this one! Had a quick look through the IC thread and this campaign seems pretty awesome.

First yes, my own homebrew is automatically aproved for my campaigns.

Now, I'm kinda short on time and have a bunch of other stuff to do this weekend so I'll skip checking out your other links. Titanic Creature should be fine as long as you pick an option to allow you to fit in small spaces, as well as Hagunemnon as long as you pick an option to look humanoid.

Hmm, I'm setting the deadline for this recruitment for  next Saturday night. I'll probably be taking 4 players.

What are your thoughts on alternative class feature chaining? Specifically Druidic avenger to get rage and fast movement as barbarian-> whirling frenzy + pounce. I basically trade my animal companion and spontaneous SNA for pounce and whirling frenzy.
Frenzy still means you can't cast spells during it just like rage right? Ok then.

Build stub looks good.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2013, 09:31:22 AM »
To my knowledge, yes frenzy precludes spell casting. My biggest reason for taking it was just to get rid of my animal companion so that my character and fireinthesky's weren't nearly identical without looking at the mechanics. Frenzy was traded for standard rage because the boost to strength stacks with wildshape for melee. I don't plan on casting many spells during combat, we appear to have that decently covered. I was going to focus on out of combat spells to help with the utility of the party and to help with the puzzles you mentioned. I'll try and get a build up tonight, but I'll need help from you and fireinthesky as well as reading the campaign thread for the character's backstory.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
Here's my sheet so far. Still need most of the feats and his magic items.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=707603
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2013, 11:55:59 PM »
What kind of quest would I need to undertake for wildshape familiarity with legendary ape from mm2?

Fastest for that would be  day-long expedition trough Arborea, with an high chance you'll end up facing quite a bit of extremely dangerous local wildlife.

How would such a trip work? And would I have any chance of surviving? I'd rather not build the character to have him die before meeting the group. :lol

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »
I'll try and get a build up tonight, but I'll need help from you and fireinthesky as well as reading the campaign thread for the character's backstory.

A player caring about making a meaningful backstory that connects to their partners and the world around them? What madness is this? :P

Anyway it's over 100 pages so good reading. I guess one day I should do a campaign journal of that one.

Here's my sheet so far. Still need most of the feats and his magic items.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=707603

Looking good so far.

How would such a trip work? And would I have any chance of surviving? I'd rather not build the character to have him die before meeting the group. :lol

The trip would happen after you meet the group, and they would go along to lend an hand when they had some downtime. There would be possible exp and loot for everybody.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
Good thing I read quickly. And sue me, I enjoy writing a background tied deeply into the campaign world. I'd have had a sheet up last night but mythweavers decided to erase the info on the sheet after I typed it up. I'll try and get it up tonight if I get a chance. I've got some family stuff to take care of first though.

Edit: Been reading through some of the character sheets and read all of chapter two. I'd love to get as much world info on the deserts, half-orcs and druids as you can provide.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:50:57 PM by geniussavant »

Offline Dapperatchik

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2013, 12:17:15 AM »
By jove, I think I've got it!

Character concept: a Dvati God, the god of the hair's breadth by which adventurers avoid (or fail to avoid) death in battle - tied to luck, inevitability, life and death, etc.

Would this be appropriate to the game? Some advice on fitting it into the wider cosmology would be massively appreciated - it seems like this is a world in which a fairly minor divine character would fit, but any extra fluff is appreciated.

I'm making my way through the thread to try and get a handle on the world, plot and so forth, but a brief summary would benefit everyone, I think.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2013, 02:06:39 AM »
Here is my character sheet. It's not done, but its got most of the essentials. I still need to distribute skill points. I could use a little help with equipment, if anyone would like to look it over. I've got a little over 4000gp left and could use a pair of wands for in my staff. Check out the notes at the bottom for some of his regular buffs.

I think you might have overl looked my question in my post on spells. Which version of Last Breath are we using? CompDiv or SpellComp?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:15:44 AM by geniussavant »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »

I think you might have overl looked my question in my post on spells. Which version of Last Breath are we using? CompDiv or SpellComp?

I think the conventional wisdom is to defer to the latest version printed, in this case the Spell Compendium version. Seems like the better of two options anyway.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »
Edit: Been reading through some of the character sheets and read all of chapter two. I'd love to get as much world info on the deserts, half-orcs and druids as you can provide.
-There's a massive  series of deserts to the east of Lyro. They're ruled by a series of city-states. Most are human-priest-king ruled, making heavy use of necromancy (in particular mummies) and binded fire elementals plus fire outsiders, with some cities actually having direct portals to the plane of fire, which are used as powerful sources of power. Some are ruled by stone giants, that put a bigger enphasis on martial prowess than magic. The city-states are usually warring among each other, allying and backstabbing each other for the last centuries, but they've set up general truces when a corrupted inevitable invasion broke out. Otherwise there's some smaller deserts across the world, but they barely have any population and are mostly dens of bandits and monsters that raid on the surrounding areas.
-Half-orcs don't have any stablished community and barely any common culture, too few in number and dispersed. Not really fitting with either orcs or human groups, they usually take a wandering existance, usually as mercenaries or heavy laborers, wherever they can put their muscle to good use, altough more talented individuals can be found in a variety of jobs.
-Druids are found more commonly on the wild areas of the world, staying away from cities. Usually they can be found either as lone hermits that have taken to protecting a certain natural area,  leaders of nomadic/barbarian tribes or small, rural settlements. In the wildest areas, where there are no big cities for miles and miles, druids are considerably more common and end up forming circles, joining periodically for group rituals and discussing how to better serve their purpose of preserving balance. They rarely act togheter in large scale however, in fear they may end up causing even more destabilization. When a grave problem arises, they prefer to choose just one or two of their own they believe more suited for the problem, and is that chosen one that is sent to take care of the problem.

Character concept: a Dvati God, the god of the hair's breadth by which adventurers avoid (or fail to avoid) death in battle - tied to luck, inevitability, life and death, etc.

Would this be appropriate to the game?
Sounds a pretty cool idea, and a "depowered" god would be quite fitting to join the party. Altough remember many of the god's abilities would demand both dvatis to concentrate to pull it off.

Some advice on fitting it into the wider cosmology would be massively appreciated - it seems like this is a world in which a fairly minor divine character would fit, but any extra fluff is appreciated.
Well, really, I wasn't trying to reinvent the great wheel here when I started this campaign. You can assume standard gods and outer planes pretty much, plus the fluff intro.

I'm making my way through the thread to try and get a handle on the world, plot and so forth, but a brief summary would benefit everyone, I think.
Well, besides the fluff section in the first post, the party has found that somebody has been using custom artifacts to corrupt the diferent aligned outsider groups. So far the campaign mostly focused on "containing" said corrupted outsiders, but after having recovered two of such custom artifacts, they're seeking to get any clues on who's actually behind all of this. Queen Tymio has been "sponsoring" them from the start, organizing operations in a large scale while the party works as her elite squad to deal with the biggest problem at the moment, but the party's made a number of other acquaintances and allies along the way, including a sentient temple at the top of a mountain and a devil blacksmith in Sigil.

Offline Dapperatchik

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »

Would this be appropriate to the game?
Sounds a pretty cool idea, and a "depowered" god would be quite fitting to join the party. Altough remember many of the god's abilities would demand both dvatis to concentrate to pull it off.

Awesome!

I've got a sheet in the works, but could I get a few quick word-of-DM clarifications?

I understand that spellcasting and SLAs would require dual concentration. I'm assuming maneuvers would be okay (though apparently only one twin can be in a Stance at any given time).

Also, I was planning on taking the Salient Divine Ability that makes you Undead - it fits really well with the fluff, obviously - but the only problem is the d6 HD as my only source of hit points. Split in half. Between my two twins. You mentioned in the God thread a feat in Libris Mortis that gives Unholy Toughness (Cha*HD to HP for Undead) - there isn't one by RAW, but could I take a homebrew version that does exactly that? (Like with Con, each twin would get the bonus separately).

Does the Grow Creature ability stack with Alter Size? (Note that Alter Size *does* explicitly stack with the Polymorph-like Salient Divine Abilities, which I'm not planning on using).

Also I notice the majority of the existing party is already Level 15. Are we starting at the bottom of 14, or somewhere partway to the next level?

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »
I'll try and get more of the sheet done now. Any suggestions for an alternative feat instead of sculpt spell? Or maybe someone has a link to using the feat effectively?

I'm thinking that maybe Fakerek was raised by the stone giants as until he left to head the call of earth. Hense his penchant for earth spells. Thought about taking Drift Magic from Sandstorm, but the effect(+1 Cl on earth spell if sacrificing move action) seems underwhelming. Any suggestions on how life among the stone giants would have effected him and his perception of the world?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »
I think the whole party is level 15 at least, now.

Gods, priests, shrine maidens... what are we, a religious hotpot? :lmao

... really need to do that God//Scholar again at some point. /rambling

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »
Dropping sculpt spell for Minor Shapeshift.

Edit: Aside from Druidic Avenger, are there any alternatives to getting an animal companion without sacrificing wildshape or spontaneous casting in your setting?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:08:39 AM by geniussavant »

Offline Wyvernhand

• AKA Keld Denar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
Gods, priests, shrine maidens... what are we, a religious hotpot? :lmao

Don't forget, Vist, the ersatz party leader, is a Divine Oracle of Pelor.

All I can say is make sure you have your basics covered, whoever joins.  Consult this list: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

Make sure you have at least one class ability or magic item or spell that covers each of those.  Also, have the ability to take at least one round of 100+ damage and live.  It happens.  This game is crazy.  Expect many of the common tricks to be negated or countered, especially if used too frequently.

And finally, if you join this game...please commit.  It's not a ton of investment, but it does require getting into the habit of checking in on on close to a daily basis.  I have a tab open pretty much all the time for this game on both my home PC and my phone, and I'll hit refresh on them about once a day or at most every other day.  You don't always have to respond immediately, but at least make note of new posts and make plans to update at your next convenience.  Combat is pretty involved here, especially, it is worthwhile to take a day to carefully consider your options.  Just don't forget.

PS, don't worry about Greater Magic Weapon, Vist provides that (with built in +1d6 lightning).  Also, he can generally provide a Chained Fly spell for most combat type situations requiring it.  BYOH (Bring Your Own Haste).

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2013, 01:00:35 AM »
If anyone has the time, especially Wyvernhand, would you mind looking this over and sharing your thoughts? Equipment selection is a weakness of mine.

I'm still working on this animal companion situation. I can't seem to figure it out. Wyvernhand, maybe you or Ose could lend your insight. Should I keep it? Everything I have read indicate that trading it away is weakening the class, something that is probably very detrimental in this game.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:04:44 AM by geniussavant »