Author Topic: Offering Myself Up to DM  (Read 27428 times)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Offering Myself Up to DM
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
With a change in jobs, and a bit of lifestyle changes, I've managed to carve out a bit more time for R&R. Now that I have the time, I'd like to learn to DM a PbP game. I don't have any campaigns written up, but I figured I'd see what the interest was for maybe running an adventure module with a few players, or if anyone has a campaign written but would prefer to be a player, I could run. it. I'd prefer to stay fairly low/mid levels, probably starting around 2-4 and going from there. If things go well, I'll DM as long as y'all will let me. So far my experience at DMing PbP hasn't gone so well, mostly due to lack of time and focus. But what do you say guys? Anybody want to play?
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Re: Offering Myself Up to DM
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:04:18 PM »
I can always rustle up a character idea.  What published modules are you thinking of running?  I've seen most of them (I've primarily been a DM since 2007), but can play dumb.

Any variant rules you thinking of using?  What kinds of book access would you allow?

A really good and fun 4th level adventure is Whispers of the Vampire's Blade from Eberron.  That one was tons of fun.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 11:15:03 PM »
I've read through Red Hand of Doom, and a few others, but I'm open to suggestion. As fir the player's knowing the adventures, I'm not concerned. Other than better preparing yourselves, I don't see anyone causing problems because of it.

As for variant rules, I'll allow flaws/traits, and I've come to like a few house rules I've seen on the boards. I've used SirP's magic weapon enchantment fix and I find it works well. Other variant rules could be allowed on a case by case basis. Book access is 3.5/3.0 unupdated + dragon mag/homebrew/third party with approval.

I love the feel of Eberron. There's a good chance that if I run something at least one city will feel like it. I'll read through that adventure.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »
Just an FYI, Whispers of the Vampire's Blade is the thing that sold me on Eberron, and got me to run an Eberron game.  I started leafing through it at a used book store, and fell in love.

I've played RHoD, but it's a great campaign, and I wouldn't mind playing it again.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:01 AM »
I've used SirP's magic weapon enchantment fix and I find it works well.
I have no idea what this fix is, and a google search doesn't seem to find it.  Link?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:27:46 AM »
Eberron is my favorite setting, hands-down. I may be in the minority, potentially, but it's my personal favorite. Some of my favorite characters adventured there, and many that were shelved long before their time. :)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 12:46:59 AM »
I'm available for a game, got too many char ideas :P
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 01:57:53 AM »
I've used SirP's magic weapon enchantment fix and I find it works well.
I have no idea what this fix is, and a google search doesn't seem to find it.  Link?

sirp's houserules
Specifically, this:
Spending gold for enhancement bonuses sucks. So, let's not.  Instead, you can enchant a masterwork weapon, armor, or shield directly with properties, instead of needing a +1 enhancement bonus first.  Each property grants an enhancement bonus to the item equal to the plus of the property.  For example, a keen flaming longsword functions as +3 (+2 from keen and +1 from flaming), and a ghost ward shield has a +1 enhancement bonus.  The maximum total bonus on equipment is still +10, meaning you can get up to a +10 enhancement bonus.

I also haz lots of ideas. They're mostly homebrew though.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »
Well. Considering Eberron has been suggested twice, and I happen to love the setting too. You guys want to roll up some 4th level characters for Whispers of the Vampire's Blade? 2 flaws, 2 traits, 32 point buy, SirP's weapon enchantment fix that FireintheSky kindly provided. Don't plan on leadership or the like for the group. If you gain cohorts, they can be used but cannot adventure with you. Action points as standard for Eberron. And I'll give an extra 100 xp to each character for a well written background. Depth of character is a big thing with me, although I won't penalize an intentionally flat character.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
Thinking through things I'd like to play...

Are races w/ Level Adjustment okay?  One of the first things to pop in my head was a Goliath.
Probably Goliath Barb 1/Crusader 2.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
Medium op, I assume?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
I am totally in... If there's still space left, of course.

No idea on class yet... But I want to RP someone that "enjoys" some dreamlily...

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
Boomerang Sniper!

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
You'd make five, that's about the max I'd want, but yeah, you're welcome to join.

Medium op, races with low La (1-2) can convert their la to rhd if you'd like, no la buy off.

I'd be willing to take a look at the homebrew you'd like FireintheSky.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »
Make Sniper's aim dice granted at the same rate as a rogue's sneak attack dice, all of Light Step's uses once per encounter and all of the 'as far as the sniper can see' abilities limited to their normal sight range without magic or other enhancements.

That sound okay? Don't get me wrong, I think ranged attackers and twf need boosts, but not that much. I can't have sniper completely replacing the rogue.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 01:49:18 PM »
Medium op, races with low La (1-2) can convert their la to rhd if you'd like, no la buy off.
So Goliath become 1 RHD Monstrous Humanoids (and I'd keep the RHD, not replace it like normal for 1 HD creatures), so I'd still start with 4 "class levels" and BAB of +4? Awesome!

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
At work right now but I've got a couple ideas kicking around to put together once I get home. :)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
32 point buy:
Str 15 (8 points) -> 19 -> 20 (4th level boost)
Dex 14 (6 points) -> 12
Con 14 (6 points) -> 16
Int 10 (2 points)
Wis 14 (6 points)
Cha 12 (4 points)

Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian (pounce, lose fast movement)
Goliath Barb racial sub level 1 (Mountain Rage)

Feats:
1: Power Attack
3: Improved Bull Rush?

My attack bonus with a Masterwork or "+1" weapon will be +10.  Still can't decide exactly what feat path to take... Leap Attack and/or Shock Trooper?  Knockback?  I'm not sure.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
Hey genius, are you fine this? (Not definite choice... May change according to party)

NG Dwarf Cleric (Sovereign Host) 4
Domains: Metal, Protection (Converted into Protection Devotion)

Traits:
Flaws:

Feats:
F1: Extra Turning
F2: Worldly Focus
Protection Domain Swapped with Protection Devotion
Metal Domain Bonus: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Greathammer), Weapon Focus (Greathammer)
1: ?? < Accepting suggestions
3: Power Attack

Stats: Str 14 (6 pt)
       Dex 12 (4 pt)
       Con 16 (6 pt) +2 Racial
       Int 12 (4 pt)
       Wis 16 (8 pt) +1 4th
       Cha 10 (4 pt) -2 Racial

Cleric built to join melee and smash heads. Can be changed to a more supportive role (Cloistered Cleric, Ancestral Knowledge...)

Planning on taking levels in Sovereign Speaker PrC.

My attack bonus with a Masterwork or "+1" weapon will be +10.  Still can't decide exactly what feat path to take... Leap Attack and/or Shock Trooper?  Knockback?  I'm not sure.

Go for Knockback if you want to push things around; go Leap Attack for the damage.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:22:14 PM by Risada »

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »
WoW! You guys are fast! So, I'd love to play if a spot opens up. I'm thinking about playing an Artificer.
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."