Author Topic: Highest intelligence bonus  (Read 2369 times)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Highest intelligence bonus
« on: October 08, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »
What's the highest intelligence bonus you can get with 4 la and a level in Wizard? Ignore the loss of cl. And assume an 18 in int before modification.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Highest intelligence bonus
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 12:46:36 AM »
What's the highest intelligence bonus you can get with 4 la and a level in Wizard? Ignore the loss of cl. And assume an 18 in int before modification.

Statistics
Ability Scores
(click to show/hide)
Ability Enhancer and Fell Energy can both increase any Spell-provided bonus by +4 to an Undead creature. Which means Empowerment can bestow +12 & Visage can give +8. This projects +49 for 1 hour a day excluding meditation & warp touch so I just put you at 67+Racial before you really even asked your question.

Then we can start throwing money at it in the more broken areas like a +6 Enhancement Bonus can be added to any Face or Hand item, buy it twice and then two Minor Schemas of Extended Item Alteration for a total of 100,000gp. For a little over two hours a day you can tweak their bonus times to Dodge & Circumstance for another +12 more.

I'm no expert on Int Races or Templates but a quick scan through one of the old Crystalkeep pdfs gives a wide number of +2 Int Templates with +1 LA so you should be able to squeeze at least +12 more there assuming a +2 base race with Dragon's +2 Int / +0 LA Temple for PHB races (I think fire does it) so you'll break 90 in Intelligence. Plus assuming you use something like Ur-Priest to snag 9ths, and like Contemplative to access Time Stop, you can also try dipping into Classes that provide bonuses like a Racial Paragon and Chameleon. So that's +40 and more before any TO tricks, like doesn't Hive Mind grant an Intelligence score too, or any sort of loop.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:11:42 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 02:07:26 AM »
Unnamed: +2 from psionic meditation (online).

That should be psychic meditation, not psionic.  The posted link is broken, but the article can be found at The Mind's Eye - Chance Favors A Prepared Mind

Impressive list

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »
As I recall from my days in the arena, INT Is one of the hardest stats to pump super high via templates.  The Spellwarped template (MMIV) is +3 LA and gives +4 INT.  So you could be a Venerable Spellwarped Fire Elf for +9 INT.

Or for +4 LA, hard to beat a pixie.  They get +6 INT, not to mention a boatload of other amazing things.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »
What about shenanigans from templates that don't modify LA?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
Then it gets even worse. I assume you are talking about my "no LA line" thread. Basically it was to hard/cheesy for anyone else to touch with a stick, and I don't blame them.

And Ithamar is slightly wrong about CHA>WIS>INT. Outside epic play, the hardest mental stat to permanently (Owl's insight doesn't count!) pump is Wisdom, although its not too far behind Intelligence. So its CHA>INT>WIS at equal optimization. This is why my 3e fixes introduces the harshest SAD penalties on casters based off wisdom.