Author Topic: Day Three - Fuyuki Shuffle  (Read 50607 times)

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
Re: Day Three - Fuyuki Shuffle
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
A deliveryman is standing outside, shifting back and forth in an effort to keep warm in the cold. Laoise can also see several large packages and crates stacked up next to him.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
"..." Not sure what to make of the situation, Laoise quietly opens the door and pokes her head outside, looking at the deliveryman questioningly.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
"Morning! Are you Miss Hannigan?" The deliveryman holds out a clipboard cheerfully. "Got quite a few deliveries here for you."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
"Y-yes..." Laoise takes the clipboard and looks it over to see what is in the crates. Is it really addressed specifically to her?

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:10 PM »
The invoice confirms that all these packages are indeed addressed specifically to her. Every one is a rush delivery from somewhere in the city - quite a few of the packages are from various hardware supply stores and chemical suppliers. Most of them also have large, obvious warning stickers and "Handle With Care" notices slapped onto the side, and one smaller package at the top of the pile is steaming slightly.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »
"..." Laoise eyes the packages, especially the steaming one, with extreme skepticism as she signs off on the delivery. It's not like she can do much about it right on her porch. Once the deliveryman is gone, she quietly instructs Lancer to go material and get the heaviest items into the hallway quickly, quietly, and carefully while she clears the smaller items (and checks the steaming package to make sure it's not going to set anything on fire).

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 01:16:52 AM »
Laoise investigates the contents of the mysterious package as the deliveryman pulls away from her house. The steaming package turns out to be a cardboard container from a takeout joint, stuffed with enough mapo tofu to feed four hungry people.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
Laoise blinks at the contents of the box once, then twice. With a big but silent sigh, She leaves it standing there on the next table and heads back into the dining room. "Nothing big... So the Assassins told you about the War? What did they say?"

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 08:19:19 PM »
Lancer quite easily shifts the bulkier stuff just inside, then disappears with the food, grinning the whole time.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 01:30:34 AM »
"A lot of things..." Ren shifts a little in his chair. "They said some bad people were fighting for a...a Grail? And the bad people would have friends like them, and they were going to help me get it so the bad people wouldn't have it. They made it sound really scary, too...I thought wars were big things, but only a few people know about this one. But if you can get wishes, wouldn't a lot of people want to know about it? What if someone won it and wished for something terrible that hurt people?" He stares at Laoise solemnly. "But...I don't think they're right about everything. Adults know a lot because they're older, but...that's also why they can be wrong, isn't it? If you think you know how everything works, even if you're an adult, you'll be wrong even more than a little kid is."

Ren screws up his face in concentration and mimics the voice of the female Assassin. The result is alarmingly accurate - if Laoise hadn't been looking, it might have given her cause to think the Servant had materialized in the room. "'Only selfish people fight in these wars, Master. Even I am here because of selfish reasons.'" Dropping the adopted accent, he continues, "But they're not really bad. You aren't either, or you wouldn't have been so nice to me." He colors a little bit and busies himself with the mostly empty soup bowl.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 07:13:46 AM »
Laoise very briefly looks miserable, then hides that by standing up to offer Ren seconds, seeing as he looks quite hungry. "...There's only seven Servants, so the number of people who can participate is limited. And those who do keep it secret from the world with help of the church... When I fought Berserker's Master yesterday, the newspapers talked about a gas explosion. Most people don't even know magic exists." She looks from the precocious boy to her own bowl of soup. "Most people would probably just wish for power... the original purpose was to gain extremely strong magic. There might be some who just want to be able to say they won." She thinks about Florianus von Einzbern. It would make sense for the actual wish to be secondary for him.

"Um... If you want to keep bad people from making a wish... We could join forces?"

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
"...Join forces?" Ren blinks. "You mean be partners?" He fiddles with his spoon, looking a little nervous. "I don't know how much help I would be...Oh, but I have that book. Maybe that would help? When we were living at the temple, I used it to make an alarm so we'd know if someone was coming..." He looks hopefully at Laoise.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »
"Ah, yes... Assassin is a very useful Servant too, if they're used right. you used a command spell at the temple, right? I didn't hear it, but they're probably still alive." Then, Laoise pauses and frowns. "A book that let you make a bounded field...? Even though you're not trained? Where did you get that book?"

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
Ren looks a little confused. "I...It's the same one I used to summon them. It had instructions for a lot of magic in it...I didn't have anything to do and they wouldn't let me go outside, so I tried the one that said it made an alarm. I had to do it a few times to get it right, but then it worked. Why? They thought it was weird too, but it wasn't so hard once I read the book."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »
Laoise looks at the table, still frowning. "Because... normally you'd need training. Just like you wouldn't be able to run 100 meters in ten seconds by reading about the movements you need to make. I've been taught since I was your age and I'm still barely average. Summoning a Servant is something that could be done just by going through the motions, but other magecraft... You'd have to be unnaturally talented, or the book itself would need to be magical."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 11:28:42 PM »
Ren frowns as well. "I don't think I'm very talented or anything, but I can use it even though I haven't learned as much as you, so maybe it's the book after all?" He drags the spoon across the bottom of the bowl, lost in thought, before brightening up. "Oh, but you're right, my friends are still here. I don't think they can appear right now, though...they're pretty tired. So I guess I'll just go ho--" He breaks off, biting his lip until a small bead of blood starts to form. "Oh...When I did the summoning, they told me it wasn't safe to stay at my house. A lot of things are broken, so...that's why were at the temple. And that's...probably gone too, right?" Ren squeezes his eyes shut, looking exhausted despite his lengthy rest.

"...Can I stay here?" he asks, although the dejection in his voice makes it sound like he already suspects the answer.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
"..." Laoise thinks on it for a moment. She would feel bad about putting the boy out on the street, but having the Assassins in her house without knowing if they can be trusted yet... "...Well, so long as the Assassins are recovering, it would be too dangerous for you on your own, so at least that long, it should be fine. After that... if nothing else, I'm sure I can find a place nearby, and help with setting up a nother alarm."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
For the first time, a genuine smile spreads across Ren's face, making him look like the young boy rather than the weary Master. "Thank you. It's...nicer than any of the others would have been, I bet." He quickly ducks his head and finishes up his second bowl of soup, the little of his face that's visible over the rim a bright pink.

Once the soup is completely gone, Ren looks back up at Laoise. "So, um...do you want me to do anything while I'm here? I don't really have anything to do while I wait for them to feel better except look at that book, but it gives me headaches if I read it for too long anyway."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »
Laoise smiles back, though it's an awkward smile, an expected reaction more than a natural one. "Well... I'd like to see that book... if it's okay. And I wanted to go to a library today to look up some things so if you want... you could help me look."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 03:48:04 AM »
Ren nods eagerly, producing a small volume from his pocket. "Here, you can have a look at it. I brought it with me when we were going to leave the temple."

The 'book' is a slim, leather-bound journal filled, front to back, with narrow, cramped writing in ink colors that vary from page to page and even sentence to sentence. The beginning pages seem to be the sort of introductory magecraft that Laoise is very familiar with, but the contents quickly become denser and more theoretical, with increasingly elaborate diagrams and long-winded conjecture on True Magics. Oddly, flipping back through the pages seems to produce different material than what was written on them before. Perhaps the book's author decided to save space by binding some sort of magic into the pages. Laoise can certainly imagine why Ren would get a headache from trying to read this book.